PDA

View Full Version : Help requested identifying manufacturer

UKShootist
08-30-2018, 12:39 PM
It's a bit of a long story but I have a Springfield 1903 A3 and the stock is wrecked due to a variety of reasons I shan't trouble anyone with. I may be able to get it fixed but on the way home from the shop I saw a much battered sporting rifle stock on the firewood pile and took it home to see if it would fit. With a bit of a little bit of quick butchery it did. It's not fit to use but if I can identify the manufacturer I may be able to find one in better condition as a replacement. (I ask because here in the UK getting Boyds stocks or other affordable replacements from the USA isn't likely to happen any time soon).

Here then is a picture of the only identifying feature, the butt plate logo. All help gratefully received.

Omega
08-30-2018, 12:42 PM
That is the FN herstal logo, if that helps

UKShootist
08-30-2018, 01:33 PM
That is the FN herstal logo, if that helps

Thanks for the quick reply. It's almost an exact fit for the Springfield action and barrel, albeit a bit tight on the magazine and trigger guard. The space for the tang was the only, slight, problem that required attention. Still looking to identify the rifle though. I'm beginning to wonder just how many different spacings there are for such rifles. Maybe there's more that will fit. Who knows?

Gtek
08-30-2018, 05:48 PM
If I was a betting man I would say a large ring 98 would fall right into that FN wood.

UKShootist
08-30-2018, 05:51 PM
If I was a betting man I would say a large ring 98 would fall right into that FN wood.

I was wondering that but didn't want to say anything. Just hoping someone else might. But keep 'em coming please. :-D