PDA

View Full Version : Wts: Muzzleloading Mowery Rifle - .50 Caliber

bedbugbilly
08-28-2018, 01:08 PM
I purchased this vintage Mowery rifle a few years ago with the intent of making it in to a “project” – I was going to refinish the nice curly maple stock, stain it with aqua fortis and pour a nice pewter nose cap on it – re-brown the barrel and iron furniture. It’s been sitting in my rack and I have far too many “projects” and not enough time to get them all done as the years pass quickly by, so I am putting it up for sale. If I am remembering correctly, Mowery was making a variety of models and calibers in the 60s and 70s and they advertised in “Muzzle Blasts” for a number of years. They were considered good shooters.

The specs on this rifle are:

Barrel marked: Mowery - .50 cal.
Serial #: 18816
Caliber: .50 – round ball twist – not sure of twist rate
Bore: Nice and shiny and good rifling.
Barrel: 31” length – Octagon – 1” across the flats
Overall Length: Approximately 48”
Stock: Curly Maple

The rifle has iron furniture – trigger guard/action and butt plate. It has a hickory ramrod but it is just a plain ramrod with no brass tip. The finish on the stock appears to be just a clear varnish of some type. As can be seen in the photos, the stock shows some nice figure that would really pop out if refinished in an appropriate type of stain that would accent the different density of the grain pattern. The barrel, action, trigger guard and butt plate are “browned” – appears to be a controled rust brown. The finish has the typical “feel” of browning applied in that manner and it could use some gentle rubbing out with steel wool and oil. The rear sight is adjustable for elevation and it has a blade front sight. The bore on the barrel is very nice – I ran an oiled patch down it and it came out clean – no roughness and it appears shiny and bright and good rifling. Minor dents, nicks, etc. as is to be expected of a rifle this age but nothing very noticeable or major in any wa

I have never shot this rifle so I have no information as to what it likes for a load. It is my understanding that Deer Creek purchased a lot of the inventory of the Mowery company so they may have spare parts if you have a Mowery and ever need them. I have not verified this however but am only going on what I was told by several BP shooters.

Price on this rifle is $325.00 shipped to the lower 48. SOLD PENDING FUNDS - rmark

Payment Method: Preferred is Pay/Pal Friend/Family or add 4% on for their service fee. Other methods of payment, please PM.

First “I’ll take it” posted will prevail and then PM with your shipping information and I will return my information by PM.

Continental U.S. Sales only please due to the weight and size of the box required to ship. It is the buyer’s responsibility to know if this can be shipped to them in their state/municipality.

Thanks for looking!

Rockydog
08-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Bump for an awesome rifle. I owned a .54 with a brass wrist and trigger guard for many years. Very accurate. Foolishly traded away. RD

bedbugbilly
08-31-2018, 08:21 AM
Morning bump -

I'm leaving this up through the weekend and if no interest - off to other means of selling it.

Thanks for looking!

bedbugbilly
09-02-2018, 02:54 PM
One last bump

rmark
09-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Pm sent

bedbugbilly
09-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Sold - thank you mark

PM sent with my information

Jim