PDA

View Full Version : Anyone form .38-45 Clerk cases?

Patrick L
08-28-2018, 08:02 AM
I posted under "Wheelguns, pistols, and handcannons" a little blurb about how I am now in possession of a .38-45 Clerk conversion I would like to play with.

So, has anyone here actually made these cases? Is it as simple as running a .45 ACP case into a sizing die, or is it more involved than that?

Other than making a few 7.7 arisaka cases out of .30-06 cases (which was extremely simple) I have no experience with case forming.

Any suggestions??

n.h.schmidt
08-28-2018, 01:51 PM
I have done this before. There was a C&H die set to form cases. At least four sizers to get to the shape needed. The final FL sizer made the neck way too small but I also used a RCBS 38/45 FL sizer and that was much better. The steps seem to be needed because I couldn't get any useable cases with just the RCBS38/45 die. Once that was done the rest was easy. I may even have a old gun mag with this conversion covered and loads. I can look for it.
n.h.schmidt

gwpercle
08-30-2018, 07:36 PM
You will have a lot better success with the CH4D case forming set , going from .45 to .38 in one pass with a sizing die is just about impossible.
I shot NRA Bullseye Match with a friend who had one , he bought the CH forming dies and I had a heavy duty Pacific Super Deluxe press and helped him form cases.
Very interesting round and pistol
Gary

Tonto
09-05-2018, 07:42 PM
would a 400 carbon size die be a good intermediate step?