PDA

View Full Version : Cornbread Dressing (From Left-Over Cornbread)

oksmle
08-27-2018, 11:27 PM
Anyone out there got a good recipe for dressing utilizing left-over cornbread. Mrs oksmle has been searching all day & hasn't found one she likes. I told her to let me ask you guys.
oksmle

fiberoptik
08-28-2018, 12:42 AM
I’ve never ever seen any left over cornbread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverend Al
08-28-2018, 01:44 PM
I agree ... what is this "leftover" cornbread you speak of?

:lol:

frankenfab
08-28-2018, 01:55 PM
I used to make dressing with cornbread (jiffy). Then I figured out I didn't like the taste because it's too sweet from the jiffy cornbread.

Going to try a less sweet mix like Martha White.

Hogtamer
08-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Sure , how much are you talking about? It freezes well.

texasnative46
08-29-2018, 10:47 AM
oksmle,

Tell your lady that we will share our (over 150 year old) family recipe for cornbread dressing BUT that we start off with several/scratch cast iron skillets full of cornbread & a goodly quantity of fresh chicken or turkey broth.
(I usually boil a big hen for broth also make the cornbread a week ahead & freeze it, so the day that we bake turkeys & make dressing & side dishes aren't quite so busy. - Also, depending on how many eaters are coming to Thanksgiving Dinner, BOTH ovens may be tied up with baking 2 turkeys & other things.)

Fwiw, our family has made the same dressing, since the family escaped to TX from MS just after TWBTS.

yours, tex

rockrat
08-29-2018, 10:55 AM
See if I can find a recipie I used to use for my Grandfather about 30 years ago. It was from a Southern Living cookbook from the early '80's IIRC. I used to add a bunch of Turkey to it as he was on Chemo and most foods didn't appeal to him, but he loved the dressing. Probably the last solid food he ever had.