PDA

View Full Version : 1886 disassembly

TCLouis
09-23-2008, 09:37 PM
The 1886, the one from way back when (92 in this case), not one of the repros.

Can I get the hammer out by just removing the hammer pivot screw?

Or move some stuff to get to it.

I just need the hammer out NOTHING else if that can be done.

MtGun44
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
The whole bottom of the action (lower tang) comes out as a piece
with trigger and such attached, IIRC. It has been a while, but I think
that the bottom tang must be removed to take the mainspring tension
off of the hammer before you could take it out. From memory, so
don't count on it, but I believe that you might get it out but never
get it back in.

Bill

John Taylor
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I have had about 30 of these come through the shop in the last few years. Sometimes the hammer will come out the top and sometimes it won't. First disconnect the spring from the link buy depressing with pliers ( channel lock works best) and let the link move forward off the spring, then take the hammer screw out. This screw also goes through the carrier which has spring tension on it but should come out with no problems, may need to play with it some to get it back in. Hammer should come out the top with no problems, if it don't then slide the lower tang back and drop it out the bottom. When putting it back in, hold the trigger back or it will not drop into place. There are 2 ways to hook the spring back to the link. Just the opposite from the way it came out by depressing and then letting the link drop on to the spring by pointing the barrel up or by hooking the spring on the link first and then using pliers to bent the spring enough to start it in place from the side and tap it in with a hammer. Make sure the tension screw is backed out before installing the spring.