PDA

View Full Version : Old RCBS shellholder with large center hole

PBSmith
08-27-2018, 10:54 AM
In decades gone by, RCBS shellholders had a center hole diameter of about 0.313", as opposed to the current 0.262". This might be going back to the days of the A2 press.

I have such a press with what might be the early primer arm assembly. Said assembly has a sleeve diameter of 0.282", which obviously won't fit through the modern shellholders. I prefer priming on this press, but only have the one shellholder.

Any chance readers here have the older shellholders (with the 0.313" centerhole) for .30-30 and .30-40 Krag? If you do, I'd be willing to swap for modern holders, or purchase out right. Other, older shellholder brands possibly had the larger center hole as well. I'm not particular as to brand, but this is a standard base that's fully compatible with modern holders.

Thanks
PBSmith

fast ronnie
08-27-2018, 10:58 AM
If you have access to a lathe, they can be bored out with a carbide boring bar.

lightman
08-27-2018, 11:24 AM
I've got a RCBS #2 shell holder with the larger hole that I would swap. Sending you a PM.

EDG
08-28-2018, 05:55 AM
Many 1960s era RCBS and some other brands of shell holders are not heat treated. They can easily be opened up with a drill and reamer in a lathe.
They are easy to test. Just strike the bottom edge with a smooth file.
If the file grabs it is soft. If the file skids and does not cut it is heat treated.

PBSmith
09-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Many 1960s era RCBS and some other brands of shell holders are not heat treated. They can easily be opened up with a drill and reamer in a lathe.
They are easy to test. Just strike the bottom edge with a smooth file.
If the file grabs it is soft. If the file skids and does not cut it is heat treated.

That's it. The one old shellholder I have is not hardened, which explains why it's looking somewhat distressed.

mdi
09-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Since I don't have a lathe handy, I would use a carbide burr or round stone in a Dremel tool...

beemer
09-01-2018, 11:57 AM
I have an old Bonanza press that need larger priming hole. Years ago I had a friend open a set of Lee shell holders to fit, he had a tough time and said they were hard. If I need one I don't have I have opened up one with a Dremel tool and a round rock, just take care not to get it to large. I annealed one but the Lee collet neck sizer eventually deformed it.

KenT7021
09-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Numrich may have some of the shell holders in question.I bought some from them several years ago.