PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 question

Bazoo
08-26-2018, 11:02 PM
I've never had any experience with the marlin 336. My buddy got his brothers rifle, and brought it for me to check out. Well long story short, the action wont open unless the hammer is all the way down.

It was unloaded, and I noticed, that with the hammer back, the action wouldnt open... so I though huh, and put it on half cock, and surprisingly it wouldnt open either. Then I lowered the hammer, and it functioned fine. We shot it a few rounds, and no problems during that. I cant imagine having to put the hammer all the way down on a live round to cycle the action and empty the gun.

It was made in 70s I believe.

I didnt give it much thought until now. I'll check all the screws and next time he brings it over. Is this odd or is that just the way marlins are?

fordwannabe
08-27-2018, 11:13 AM
That is NOT the way Marlins are. I would open the action and check the ejector is seated properly in the slot on the left side of the receiver and add a couple drops of oil to the bolt. I would then take the big screw out of the tang and pull the buttstock off, look for any thing obviously out of place, (take a picture and post here in case we see something you don’t). While the buttstock is separate from the action I would add oil to the strut that goes through the spring and metal retainer and add a couple three drops where the hammer comes through the tang on both sides top side and from the bottom. Feel free to pm me if you want more help. Good luck.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-27-2018, 01:08 PM
I've got two of these, dating from the 1970s and '80s. The lever on either will operate with the hammer in any position. I'm wondering if you have one of the models with the button crossbar safety? Could be it's installed improperly.

Texas by God
08-27-2018, 03:23 PM
That ain't normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bikerbeans
08-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Stuck/rusty/dirty locking lug.

BB

JimB..
08-27-2018, 04:25 PM
^^^^^ this right here.

Take it down and clean it, they are not complicated.

Gtek
08-27-2018, 05:21 PM
In my mind there is no other interaction between hammer and action other than sear engagement and rear firing pin contact, that is an interesting situation! My next move would be remove lever then bolt and reinstall lever and check functioning of lever. Locking block raises rear firing pin into alignment when in battery, maybe something going on there. The cross bolt safety Post 83's only blocks hammer and still no interaction to cycling of innards. Hmmmmm?

MyFlatline
08-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Agree with Gtek, no reason what you described should cause the bolt not to open. That being said, the loading gate screw being loose will hang up the action in a heartbeat but should do it all the time. The 336's and 1894's are very simple to disassemble and clean. You Tube is your friend.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-27-2018, 07:57 PM
In my mind there is no other interaction between hammer and action other than sear engagement and rear firing pin contact, that is an interesting situation! My next move would be remove lever then bolt and reinstall lever and check functioning of lever. Locking block raises rear firing pin into alignment when in battery, maybe something going on there. The cross bolt safety Post 83's only blocks hammer and still no interaction to cycling of innards. Hmmmmm?

Well, Yah know.....I'm probably wrong on that, since the OP didn't even specify that it has a cross bolt safety. BUT, since his main complaint was that the lever wouldn't cock the hammer, one might assume that something is blocking the hammer. Everyone else seems to be going with dirt, or something interfering with the lever. Just a "shot in the dark," as I always like to try and cover the less obvious problem. :-D

MyFlatline
08-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Well, Yah know.....I'm probably wrong on that, since the OP didn't even specify that it has a cross bolt safety. BUT, since his main complaint was that the lever wouldn't cock the hammer, one might assume that something is blocking the hammer. Everyone else seems to be going with dirt, or something interfering with the lever. Just a "shot in the dark," as I always like to try and cover the less obvious problem. :-D

He actually said he thought it was made in the 70's. Either way the lever will cycle even with a cross bolt .. All the cross bolt does is no allow the hammer to hit the pin. Like a roll block safety..

Dan Cash
08-28-2018, 08:17 AM

The Marlin "safety," works on the front side of the hammer to block it from the firing pin and would not interfere with cocking. Either dirt is obstructing something or perhaps action screws loose. Marlin is notorious for loosening and loosing screws.

Texas by God
08-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Scope screws too long?

Bazoo
08-29-2018, 09:55 PM
I still havent had a chance to check out his rifle again. No it doesnt have a crossbolt safety. It does need a cleaning. What threw me off is that it functions flawlessly as long as the hammer is all the way down. If you dry fire it, or live fire it, it functions perfectly. I'm sure I wont have any problems getting it apart. I've taken down a marlin 1894 which is similar.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

fordwannabe
08-29-2018, 10:25 PM
Please let us know what you find, as now I am interested in what it really turns out to be. Thanks

odfairfaxsub
09-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Scope screws too long?

I believe if they were too long they would interfere w any function no matter positioning of the hammer

Bazoo
09-02-2018, 01:35 PM
I inquired about the gun again. I was denied the pleasure of taking it down at present. The gun belongs to my buddies brother, and I suppose he wants to check with his brother before taking it apart. Guess taking it and shooting it is one thing... but cleaning it is another.

He said he has been spraying oil in the action and it has helped some.

2152hq
09-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Just wondering if the rear firing pin (2 piece firing pin) isn't the problem.

It is the short section that sits in the rear of the bolt & is spring loaded by means of a small flat spring in the bolt.
The spring makes it tilt down when the action is open so the gun can't fire if the firing pin is struck by anything.
It is pushed back up into position to fire (alligned with the front firing pin) by the locking bolt as the lever is closed.

I'm thinking maybe that rear short section of firing pin has some problem interacting with the locking bolt and is jamming it in position UNLESS the hammer is pressing down on it and pushes it forward a bit.

Might not be it at all.
But a simple check would be to close the action,,cock the hammer (unloaded rifle of course), and then simply push the end of the firing pin on the back of the bolt inward with a small punch or similar object.
Hold it there and see if the lever can then be worked.
(You are replicating what the hammer is doing in the down position,,but not using the hammer or it's spring/follower, ect. Trying to isolate parts from the problem)

If it can,,then the problem is in that firing pin set up in the bolt. Maybe the small flat spring is broken or mis-allaigned ,,something is holding onto the locking bolt which is attached to the lever at that point which can't be pulled open.

If that ain't it,,then at least it's one possibility out of the way.