PDA

View Full Version : Taking reloads to range need target suggestion

BigBlack
09-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I will be shooting at 100yrds. I have looked at square, round, diamond and just about any combination of these and do not know which way to go and how to affectively use them to help ensure consistent point of aim.

Any suggestions on what type of target and how to properly use it, I know the crosshairs are to cover what I intend to shoot but am looking for a more technical method with a certain style of target.

For instance I have heard some say use a circle and quarter it up, some say use a diamond and use the 4 points to align your crosshairs etc…

Let me have it

Thanks

BTW: I have a computer at work and a printer with some 11x17 sheets of paper waiting on me to print myself up some targets.

felix
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
That what you said is good as any. Do not destroy your aiming point, so make the boolits shoot off of the diamond. If you can't psychologically fathom that, use a BR square and aim at an outside black corner, putting the boolits into the white square center. ... felix

Larry Gibson
09-24-2008, 12:08 AM
If your crosshairs allow along with the magnification I use a diamond and aim at the bottom tip of the diamond. With 1-6X I use a 2" diamond and with 8-14X I use a 1" diamond (mostly a 1" black paster as a diamond). With 16-24X I use a 1/2" diamond. The finer your aiming point the more accurate (i.e. smaller groups) you will be.

Larry Gibson

mike in co
09-24-2008, 12:17 AM
If your crosshairs allow along with the magnification I use a diamond and aim at the bottom tip of the diamond. With 1-6X I use a 2" diamond and with 8-14X I use a 1" diamond (mostly a 1" black paster as a diamond). With 16-24X I use a 1/2" diamond. The finer your aiming point the more accurate (i.e. smaller groups) you will be.

Larry Gibson

larry has a good point, but what we need to know is what power scope and what recticle.

i shoot a lot of 100 targets. for load development with 4x power( weaver marksman and such) the crosshairs will cover aprox 1 inch in width/horizontal. i shoot hoppe's sight in target , a big round orange circle with one inch cross thru the circle. its easy to watch for miss alignment.

when the power goes up, the target size gets smaller....aim small, miss small .......

need more info for your answer.....

mike in co

HeavyMetal
09-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Dude:
Buy the target program from on of the reloading houses like Cabella's!

This is the Click-n-shoot program and it's awsome!

In the area for precision target shooting you will find target design for exactly the type shooting you want with different colors, scope locators the whole 9 yards!

Not sure what the current cost is but I bought mine a few years ago for 19 bucks!

Only down side is everything prints on 8 1/2 by 11, get stiff construction paper and target are real nice!

Scrounger
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Buy???? There's a gazillion free targets available for download FREE on the internet, just run a google search for 'free target download' or if you're real lazy just click on this link: http://www.google.com/search?q=free+target+download&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS228US233

Helpful hint: After you've printed your target on regular cheap copy paper on your computer/printer, just leave the individual sheets upside down in the sun for half a day. It makes the paper hard and brittle, bullet holes cut cleanly.

runfiverun
09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
for open sights i like to make a round circle as small as i can see
then cut it in half, and put on white background.
so you have an flat bottomed half circle to set your sights under.
for a scope i like a cross shaped target so i can keep my cross hairs in the same alignment
for each shot.

qajaq59
09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Over the years I've found that my best accuracy comes from using the smallest target that I can see. However, If I'm initially sighting in a rifle, I use the target with the one inch squares so I wont have to walk out and measure it. And I put it up as a square, not as a diamond.
Your best bet is to try several different types and see what you personally like best.

Bret4207
09-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I think you're using a scope, but for these old and not so good anymore eyes of mine with open or peep sights I find an inverted triangle easiest to see. Another good target is a black ring around a white circle. Just put a can on the paper and spray paint around it. Cheap and effective.

FWIW, with a scope it doesn't matter what I use. I get eye strain in a few seconds no matter what. Wish I knew and eye doc that could understand what I'm after.