PDA

View Full Version : Brining whole chicken before smoking in smoker

JBinMN
08-26-2018, 01:19 PM
I have been smoking all sorts of meats, fish & cheeses for many years & other than the exception of fish, like salmon & trout where I use a brine before smoking, I have not ever brined any other meats before smoking. So, a couple of days ago I decided I wanted to try my hand at brining a whole chicken before smoking it.
I generally use a "dry rub" method & even though that has worked great for me in the past, I just wanted to try something different this time. I guess I am just feeling a bit adventurous & willing to gamble a perfectly good yardbird on a "new to me" style of prepping for smoking... LOL

I did a bit of research by looking through some books on smoking foods to see what I could find out, as well as on the internet for different recipes. I came up with just a simple recipe to use for the brine for this chicken & have made it this morning & it is now cooling before I put the chicken in it to soak overnight.

Water to cover chicken in pot,
3/4 cup pickling salt,
1 cup white sugar,
1 Tblspn cayenne pepper & 1 Tbspn black pepper

All brought to a rolling boil & stirred for a minute or so to dissolve everything into the brine & now cooling.

I think I may sprinkle & rub in my regular spice "rub" on this yardbird before it goes into the smoker, but have not made a firm decision on that yet.

Anyway.... While I wait for the brine mix to cool enough, I thought I would ask here if anyone who has experience doing a smoked "brined" chicken has any tips to share with me & others who might decide to try out this method.

Any tips or anecdotal stories about smoking brined chicken?

Thanks in advance!
:)

Hossfly
08-26-2018, 01:36 PM
I use regular salt about 1/2 cup to water that will cover bird. Always done this with chicken and especially turkeys at Thanksgiving. I rinsed off bird next morning to get some salt off. I think the salt helps enhance flavor of the meat even gets thru the skin. Big turkey gets shot up with Cajun butter injector that has spices to help with moisture. Hickory and msequite wood soaked for lots of Smokey flavor. 3hrs. Small chicken on rotissery and about 12 for turkey over water pan. Enjoy

JBinMN
08-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Hey ! Thanks for the tips & reminder about the injector! Just what I was looking for!

I haven't used an injector for some time, but I think I may do that with this bird this time. Gonna ponder on that. I will post if I do, as well as maybe some pictures.

I haven't decided on the wood I am going to use, but I am likely going to use Apple & cherry with some hickory & mesquite as well. Another thing I am pondering on while waiting to see who else might add some of their ideas & such!

Thanks again!
:drinks:

texasnative46
08-26-2018, 01:55 PM
JBinMN,

ImVho, "Hossfly" is 100% correct & plain salted water works about as well as anything to brine poultry. At least 4-6 hours "in the salt" does GOOD things for poultry.
(Fwiw, I used to cook literally hundreds of chickens & turkeys each month for church picnics, school fundraisers & other gatherings.)
To me (& when I could get it) freshly-cut peach, pear, apple or other similar fruit-woods work best for poultry/veal/lamb, with GREEN hickory close behind.
It's been my experience that mesquite "overwhelms" poultry/veal/lamb's taste. Otoh, poultry smoked over oak NEEDS a lot of spices to make it taste best.
(Like "Hossfly", I also INJECT turkeys with copious melted butter/spices, to keep it from drying out before it cooks thoroughly.)

Mesquite (IMO) is THE BOSS for BBQing BEEF. - Nothing else does nearly as well.

just my opinions, tex

Camper64
08-26-2018, 04:10 PM
I brine whole bone-in turkey breasts.

Hogtamer
08-26-2018, 04:45 PM
apple cider/juice, 3/4 C salt to gallon liquid. Big bunch of fresh thyme or Tbsp of dry. A dozen or so whole peppercorns. Excellent for chicken, turkey, pork loin. The salt acts like it does in living tissue, moving liquid through cells walls, so the flavors in your brining liquid absorbed into meat. Also allows for more even cooking and a juicier finished product. I generally use various red oaks as that is what usually is close at hand in these parts.

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Thanks All for the helpful tips!

I put the yardbird into the brine I had made last night about 8PM. I see that most of ya had only used salt & maybe some thyme, but since I had already made it, I used what I had.

I am going to inject with some unsalted butter and I have some bacon grease I am going to brush on the outside, then add a simple rub/costing I have used for year, with the salt part omitted, to keep from adding more salt.

Going to use some freshly cut apple wood I got from a friend on Saturday, maybe some cherry if I still have some left, and I might plop a couple of small chunks of hickory & mesquite in as well, but it will be primarily apple this time. I have oak & plum I think, out in the pile, but not sure, so I will have to just stick with what I do know I have.

Anyway, I will check back later & I will try to remember to post some pics.

Thanks again!

DerekP Houston
08-27-2018, 09:49 AM
I'm a fan of brining chickens and turkeys for the smoker, If you have the time pull them out ~12 hours ahead and let them dry in the refrigerator, the skin will crisp up better. I use brown sugar in mine, 1 cup salt 1 cup sugar, water to cover. It should have a pretty decent taste in the water. Citrus makes a good addition as well. Depending on the chicken brands you get some are already injected with water.

Just read the rest of your post again, I *do* season mine after brining. If you are pressed for time just towel it off then sprinkle on your regular rub. I like a nice crust/heavy seasoning layer on mine =). Injected butter in the meat will help keep it juicy in my experience.

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Thanks Derek!

I am a bit pressed for time today. It is supposed to be ht & sticky today with T-storms later. so I want to get it done before the storms arrive.

I have it sitting in a tilted pan in the sink, drying and draining a bit right now. I will pat it down after I get ready to place it on a rack.
I was going to put it on a particular rack( I have a few), but the racks I have seem to have migrated from where I stored them & I think my oldest son may have borrowed them since I last used them. He is an avid meat smoker as well, but doesn't have the amount of stuff I have accumulated over the years, so he uses some of my stuff on occasion. He likely told me he was going to borrow them earlier this year & I just plain forgot.

Anyway, I will make do with getting one of the racks out of my "cabinet smoker" or the Brinkman stacked cylinder smokers, & use that for the final preps of injecting butter, painting on the bacon grease & coating with the rub. I will likely let it sit to get closer to room temp & then put it out into the smoker in a few hours.

Thanks for the tips & I will keep them all in mind when I go to do another brined yardbird next time. I have 3 more in the freezer & in less than a month a great buddy of mine who raises birds will be butchering again & I will get a few more. We do smoked & beer can style whole, as well as grilled in pieces, and eat yardbird about once a week or so, so they get used up quite quickly. Even more so when the whole family is together & we make a day of it.

Thanks again to everyone!

Please keep the tips & helpful hints coming, as it will certainly help not just me, but others who may pop in to read.

I will try to remember to take some pics too. Everyone seems to like pics!

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Some "before pics" during the "prep" process:

Spiced with Rub & some bacon grease paint strips in certain locations:

Starting butter injections:

Place on "beer can style" wire rack to hold it up right:

Other side:

I realize that the pics are sideways 90 deg. , but am not feeling like taking the time to turn them.
Oh well. LOL ;-)

The bird is now on the smoker & has been for about a half hour. Gonna go check in a little while & if I see something "pic worthy" I will take one or two to share.

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Beginning the smoke, inside the smoker:

Some exterior shots to see how they show up:

It has not started rockin & rollin the smoke yet, but it will. When I go out next I will see if I can catching it doing it.

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Reloaded smoker and starting to rock and roll again:

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Smoking part is about done, just the "finishing"/slow cooking part left. I will try to take some pics after I feel it is done. It is looking good right now, but I left my camera/phone on a charger inside, the last time I was out.

No more updates until then.
I think I am going to have to force myself to enjoy a cold one now...
;)

DerekP Houston
08-27-2018, 04:02 PM
that's a heckofa collection of smokers you have there! I'd rather be bbq'ing than working any day

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 10:17 PM
that's a heckofa collection of smokers you have there! I'd rather be bbq'ing than working any day

Thanks! I have wore out more than a few since the late 70's/early 80's.
;)

Most of the ones you see are on their last legs, with the exception of the cabinet one I was using today. It is only about 8 years old or so, IIRC. LOL

I have a Stainless Steel Commercial reefer sitting out of the pic that I got last year to make a nice big "fancy" homemade one, but my 2 sons have found that they are happy to use what they have & I do not have the help I think would be necessary to do what I think would be the best. I will likely offer it to a couple of friend s& see if they want to tackle it. Otherwise it will go to Craigs list for what I have into it.

JBinMN
08-27-2018, 10:18 PM
-------

Well, here are the last pics of the doins today... I am highly satisfied with the results & even better, the Missus is extremely satisfied with the results as well!

Here are some pics:
Finished...

We got approx. 1-1/2 inches( 3-7/8ths CM) of rain in around an hour or so, in between the time I posted last & was waiting for the last of the cooking to get done & when these last pics were taken. Here is a pic of the small rain gauge I have on the deck:

ANd... Here is the , "Tell" on how it looked & the "Drive" of the smoke it was given. about an 1/8" or so, on the breast, deeper on the outside & bottom & particularly around the joints like the legs & wings, but I do not know if it will come thru in the pic of the breast cut very well.
Overall, a good "drive", considering I held off on pushing the smoke too long, since I was worried about maybe overdoing it...
Regardless, it came out Tender as it could be, & tastes Outstanding. I "will" be doing this method again...
;)

Here is that "Tell" pic from a breast cut:

{ Yes, once again some of the pics are "sideways" but I am just gonna let them be... I think you will "get" what I am trying to show. :) }

Thanks So Much! for all the help & tips!

This came out so well, & my missus asked me to do it this way again for the Boys(Sons), DIL, & Grandboys the next time so they can try it done this way...
I really wish I had tried it long before now. I like the other ways I have done it, but this one looks to be a Great addition to the methods to share with others!

I had fun & appreciate the efforts made to pass on some of what ya might share to make this turn out out well! Thanks again for the help!

:drinks: to you all!

Edited to see if I can fix pics to get them to show.

Camper64
08-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Well, I'm a day late to the party. Drove through Goodhue yesterday on my way home to Iowa. Sounds like everything came out great, I'm not able to see the attachments but I'm sure it would make me more hungry than I already am.

JBinMN
08-28-2018, 03:27 AM
Well, I'm a day late to the party. Drove through Goodhue yesterday on my way home to Iowa. Sounds like everything came out great, I'm not able to see the attachments but I'm sure it would make me more hungry than I already am.

Well, ya missed out then... It is some great stuff! LOL

Well, I tried to fix the pics & they are showing up for me now. Maybe you can see them now?

Beagle333
08-28-2018, 05:04 AM
That looks awesome. Now you got me wanting to brine mine before smoking in the Big Green Egg. I usually just plump it up as much as it'll take with the injectors, but doing both will surely result in an even juicier bird. Thanks for posting! :-D

Fishman
08-28-2018, 08:05 AM
That looks like fantastic results.

JBinMN
08-28-2018, 09:57 AM
That looks awesome. Now you got me wanting to brine mine before smoking in the Big Green Egg. I usually just plump it up as much as it'll take with the injectors, but doing both will surely result in an even juicier bird. Thanks for posting! :-D

It worked excellent for me & I would suggest that ya try it at least once!

BTW, I only used about 1/4 of a stick of plain melted butter to inject for this one. It is/was about a 6-7 pounder.

That looks like fantastic results.

Yes, It looks & tastes fantastic!

Definitely a good method & one I think everyone should try, if they can! So, Give it a shot!

Thanks again to all who have commented.

DerekP Houston
08-28-2018, 10:00 AM
man that looks delicious! Don't knock those old "worn out" smokers...I've rigged them back together with spare parts and they smoke good as new! Looks like another successful 'q

JBinMN
08-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Yes, it was certainly a success!

The Brinkmans"cabinet" one is working fine as you can see, and the Brinkmans "cans" ( there is 1 bottom, 2 middle & 2 tops there, out of 2 smokers, although one top is out of the pics.) are still relatively intact & usable. The "barrel" ( IIRC a "CharBroil" or something like that) , needs a new firebox, but can still be used as well even without the firebox. So, yes they are kind of "worn", or "well used" one might say, but I do not do as much smoking of stuff as I did in the past so have not been in any hurry to repair yet. It is one of those, "Yeah, I will get a round to it eventually" type of things.

Lots of memories from being around those smokers with parties & catering type deals for friends & family. I always hate to let one go when it just gets to the point where it is not worth the effort to try to repair any longer.

I reckon you know what I mean...
;)

smokeywolf
08-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Nice write-up JB. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

I use a stick-burner the majority of the time. Did a beercan chicken and a tri-tip the other night. While I always brine the turkeys (usually two 12 pounders) at Thanksgiving, I'm too lazy to do chickens.

What I do with the beercan chickens is, make up a solution of:
2 oz. good Spanish olive oil
1 oz. lite soy sauce
2 oz. Italian dressing
1/4 stick butter
1/3 tsp. of sesame oil
1 tsp. rubbed sage
2/3 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. black pepper

Put that in the stainless cup that is part of my beercan chicken roasting kluge, rub the chicken in and out with olive oil and sage, plug the neck hole of the chicken with a cut lime and put it on rack on the firebox end of the smoker.
The mixture in the cup is less for imparting flavors to the chicken than for providing a killer dipping sauce for the chicken after it's done.

JBinMN
08-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Not really a "write up", but just sharing what I was doing & hoping for more tips & tricks.
;)

That recipe you are providing looks like a great solution for BC chicken! I will try it next time I do one.

I use an onion chunk usually to cover the neck & I drape bacon strips across the "shoulders" to help self baste.

Have'nt done a BC chicken since last year. Maybe that will be next on the menu in a week or so.

Moonie
08-31-2018, 09:15 PM
I used to wet brine my poultry before smoking or cooking by any method. I've started dry brining over night, gives a crispier skin. Smoked, roasted in my convection oven or rotisserie. Wet brined is very good but tends to lessen the poultry flavor, dry brined intensifies the poultry flavor and is just as juicy.

MT Gianni
09-02-2018, 08:16 PM
I have done Cornish Game hens with a pineapple sauce marinade then cooked them on the small pineapple cans. Its all good.

JBinMN
09-02-2018, 09:23 PM
I used to wet brine my poultry before smoking or cooking by any method. I've started dry brining over night, gives a crispier skin. Smoked, roasted in my convection oven or rotisserie. Wet brined is very good but tends to lessen the poultry flavor, dry brined intensifies the poultry flavor and is just as juicy.

Other than using a "rub", which, until this last brining adventure, was the way I have always done yard bird in the smoker & it has always done well for me. I am not sure what the term "Dry Brining" would entail, other than what I have done with a "Rub", and I would have to go look the term up , unless you wish to describe the process any more here.

I would appreciate your advice & tips if you would care to elaborate a bit more on that method. Please share!~

JBinMN
09-02-2018, 09:24 PM
I have done Cornish Game hens with a pineapple sauce marinade then cooked them on the small pineapple cans. Its all good.

I have done the cornish game hens as well, but not with pineapple. Makes my mouth water thinking about it though.

Did a lot of Waterfowl with pineapple, as well as other fruits like oranges & such.

Please share more & I would bet I am not the only one to read & perhaps try the method(s) you could offer.

frankenfab
09-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Been wanting to do Cornish game hens in my Ronco rotisserie, but haven't done it yet.

I know I can Google dry brining, but from someone with personal experience, how do y'all do it?

Moonie
09-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Other than using a "rub", which, until this last brining adventure, was the way I have always done yard bird in the smoker & it has always done well for me. I am not sure what the term "Dry Brining" would entail, other than what I have done with a "Rub", and I would have to go look the term up , unless you wish to describe the process any more here.

I would appreciate your advice & tips if you would care to elaborate a bit more on that method. Please share!~

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-get-crispier-chicken-turkey-poultry-skin-with-baking-powder.html

frankenfab
09-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that. I love me some crispy skin.

JBinMN
09-02-2018, 09:52 PM
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-get-crispier-chicken-turkey-poultry-skin-with-baking-powder.html

THANKS! That was pretty quick!

I will be reading up on it tonite.

I just picked up another yardbird from my "source" for "range fed" birds tonite before I posted earlier.

Told him I was gonna share half of it with a "brine" done bird so he & his missus could try it.

If this "read" ya shared, hits me right, I will be trying that next!

Thanks again for the share!

Moonie
09-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Do be easy with the dry brine mix, I used too much the first time and it was rather salty.

MT Gianni
09-03-2018, 10:50 PM
I found the small pineapple juice cans the perfect fit for a game hen soo....... I mixed pineapple, soy sauce and a little cayenne, garlic and Johnnys salt together while saving the cans. Putting the bird in a gallon zip lock then pouring the juice about 1/4-1/3 back into the can left it with enough weight to balance a bird on. Straight up inderect heat [burners on on only one side of the gas grill. I am a heretic.] heating to about 425 for 45-50 minutes. I checked doneness at the thigh for flexibility before I got a thermometer. Pull it and make sure the marinade is no longer used as a dipping sauce as it had raw bird in it for 12+ hours. A dipping sauce can be made by reserving some of the marinade before the bird gets in and heating it to thicken slightly.

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2018, 06:15 AM
my method is the same as brining fish. A 5 gallon bucket about 2/3s full of water with enough kosher salt to float a raw egg and a cup of brown sugar.

Lead pot
09-04-2018, 11:58 AM
I just got a new Webber 22" performer premium charcoal grill and tried the wet brine. I think I left it in the brine to Long for about 6 hrs and let it dry over night in the fridge over night and it turned out a little to salty for my last but it wasn't to the point of being bad. I also added some other spices to the brine that added to the taste. I used green cut chock cherry wood that really enhanced the flavor.

I used a small turkey brest for this try and had to do a little adjusting to make it fit under the lid :) but all turned out just fine.

JSH
09-04-2018, 07:18 PM
I thought the little Cornish game hens expensive. Well, changed my mind as I can hardly eat a whole one before I tire of it, usually a couple of days worth for one person. And, I darn sure can't eat a whole chicken any more.

JB, you want to see a cheap cool smoker, do a search on filing cabinet smoker.
I have one with all the holes cut, but have not fired it up to cure the inside yet.
Buddy made on to smoke fish. Just used a cheap electric hot plate and and old pan for wood chips.
Unfortunate to not have many good fish for smoking around here. Though I have eaten some smoked blue gill and crappie filets years ago.
Jeff

MaryB
09-04-2018, 10:04 PM
Flathead catfish is awesome stuff brined and smoked!

Lead pot
09-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Don't overlook the lowly carp smoked. Just cut the mud vain out and enjoy it.

JBinMN
09-05-2018, 12:52 PM
I found the small pineapple juice cans the perfect fit for a game hen soo....... I mixed pineapple, soy sauce and a little cayenne, garlic and Johnnys salt together while saving the cans. Putting the bird in a gallon zip lock then pouring the juice about 1/4-1/3 back into the can left it with enough weight to balance a bird on. Straight up inderect heat [burners on on only one side of the gas grill. I am a heretic.] heating to about 425 for 45-50 minutes. I checked doneness at the thigh for flexibility before I got a thermometer. Pull it and make sure the marinade is no longer used as a dipping sauce as it had raw bird in it for 12+ hours. A dipping sauce can be made by reserving some of the marinade before the bird gets in and heating it to thicken slightly.

Thanks for the details! I will be trying this soon!

Although,I will be doing it on a charcoal grill. LOL
;)

JBinMN
09-05-2018, 12:57 PM
I thought the little Cornish game hens expensive. Well, changed my mind as I can hardly eat a whole one before I tire of it, usually a couple of days worth for one person. And, I darn sure can't eat a whole chicken any more.

JB, you want to see a cheap cool smoker, do a search on filing cabinet smoker.
I have one with all the holes cut, but have not fired it up to cure the inside yet.
Buddy made on to smoke fish. Just used a cheap electric hot plate and and old pan for wood chips.
Unfortunate to not have many good fish for smoking around here. Though I have eaten some smoked blue gill and crappie filets years ago.
Jeff

I have seen some of those FIling cabinet smokers. I even have a filing cabinet in the basement. Just have not started any new project like that since I have enough smokers at the moment my missus tells me,(although some would say that is "heresy"), but I also have a large stainless commercial reefer that is sitting in my driveway that is awaiting cool weather to start converting it into a smoker. It will likely be my last project like that due to my health issues, but I will mention the filing cabinet to my sons if they want to try making one.

Thanks for mentioning it!

JBinMN
09-05-2018, 01:02 PM
LLoyd & MaryB mentioned fish, and I have always wet brined fish using a similar mixture like Lloyd mentioned. I add some other ingredients though, and have spent more time on trout & salmon ( oilier fish) than other types. I have done carp one time & I did not like the taste/texture, so have not repeated it. Catfish I usually fry, but I may try doing that some time...

I find that I like to pickle most fish if I do not fry them, but maybe I will make a separate topic sometime on my doins with that, unless I find another topic where it is covered here at CB forum. I would not be surprised to find that it has already been gone over a bit though.
;)

Thanks to all who have shared! Makes the forum just that much better of a place for info!

Now, in a little while, I am gonna start defrosting that second yardbird for a brine, so my "supplier" & hunting/fishing/etc buddy of about 20+ years can get a taste of one "wet brined" & smoked as I did before, with a couple of changes I will add from your folks suggestions, of course.
;)

Thanks again!

Xringshooter
09-12-2018, 02:25 PM
What kind of time line would you expect for a 5 lb bone in turkey breasts? I'll be wet brining it. I had the opportunity to get some of these at a smokin' (no pun intended - well maybe) good price so I bought 6 and popped them in the freeze for later on.

Camper64
09-12-2018, 02:54 PM
What kind of time line would you expect for a 5 lb bone in turkey breasts? I'll be wet brining it. I had the opportunity to get get some of these at a smokin' (no pun intended - well maybe) good price so I bought 6 and popped them in the freeze for later on.

Between 2.5 and 3 hours running at about 235 first hour, 255 next hour and 265 remaining until internal temp gets to 165.

Wayne Smith
09-12-2018, 03:42 PM
What kind of time line would you expect for a 5 lb bone in turkey breasts? I'll be wet brining it. I had the opportunity to get get some of these at a smokin' (no pun intended - well maybe) good price so I bought 6 and popped them in the freeze for later on.
To smoke um or to brine um? For smoking, see Camper's instruction. For brining, anything from five hours to overnight.

Xringshooter
09-12-2018, 04:13 PM
To smoke um or to brine um? For smoking, see Camper's instruction. For brining, anything from five hours to overnight.

I know about brining, I always brine my turkeys before frying them, they are so much better that way. Just hadn't smoked a turkey (or bone in breast) yet and didn't want to screw it up. Thanks for the answers, maybe going to do one this weekend.

Wayne Smith
09-15-2018, 08:01 AM
I have a turkey sized 'beer can chicken' rack - place the turkey on this, add a can of something liquid under, and smoke for six hours - this on a wood fired smoker. This way I can smoke a turkey in half the normal time. It cooks both inside and out at the same time.

Xringshooter
10-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Did my first smoked turkey breast today. 5-6 lb bone in breast, brined (1 cup salt and 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 gal water) for 12hrs (overnight), rinsed and let sit in frig from 11am until 2pm. Smoked (with apple wood) at 235 1st hr, 255, 2nd hr, then 265. Thermometer in at 5pm, read about 170 figured it was done. Pulled, covered and let rest for 1/2 hr. Sliced and had with mashed potatoes and creamed corn. Juicy, nice smoke flavor, wife loved it and I did too. Was really pleased with myself.

Next up, buy some birds when on sale and try my hand at doing a whole bird.

Thank you all for all the hints, tips, tricks. Now have another way to do it other than frying (but I really love the skin of a fried turkey :) )

Sam Casey
10-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Looks good, sounds good, but sooooo much salt. Give me a nice whole bird, a little sage, some minced garlic, a couple sprinkles of lemon pepper and a plastic roasting bag and after a couple hours in the oven and you have a cardiologist approved meal.

Xringshooter
10-14-2018, 02:20 PM
There is actually not that much added salt in/on the meat. The salt and sugar are in a water solution and the breasts are soaked in it overnight. Then the solution is dumped and the breasts rinsed with plain water and let to dry for a bit before smoking. The brining allows the cells to open and absorb some of the solution which helps keep it moist. Brining poultry overnight is a common way to insure the meat isn't dry after smoking, frying or even roasting. There is less salt on the meat from brining than when people salt their meat at mealtime. With the brining, both my wife and I find that we do not have to add any additional salt because we get the great taste that was infused during the brining/seasoning. I did forget to add that I added seasonings under the skin of the breasts after brining before smoking (sage, rosemary, thyme and a few others).

Wayne Smith
10-16-2018, 04:30 PM
As a result of Michael we lost power from 11:30 PM Fridayuntil, eventually, 4:30 PM Saturday. Since we didn't have power I lit a fire in the fire pit and planned on cooking on the coals. Put a couple pork chops thick cut in a salt brine with a touch of maple syrup and let them thaw all day. Did the rest of the dinner inside but those chops got cooked on the coals, no seasoning but the brine and the fire. Came out very well.