PDA

View Full Version : New Spade Connector, More Heat, WOW!

jimkim
08-25-2018, 02:37 PM
I had to replace a spade connector on my Lyman furnace earlier this week. Wish I had sooner. It's like a brand new furnace. I have to figure out the new temp settings now. I was running 7-9, depending on the mould. Now, I'm getting frost at 6. It heats up, way faster, and even seems to hold the heat longer too. I'm thinking of replacing the connectors every year. I'm still shocked by the difference. One odd thing I noticed is the thermostat, is almost identical to the one in my Lee.

I want to make a maintenance list. Can y'all tell me a few things to check?

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-25-2018, 10:13 PM
FYI, Spade connectors (assuming we are talking about the same thing) are designed to be installed once, especially when you are supplying a large load like a heating element. They lose some of their spring grip-ablility once you remove and re-install them.

Hannibal
08-25-2018, 10:21 PM
It may not be possible due to the way your heating element is made, but ring terminals are a much better choice for such an application.

Spade terminals make it easy to put stuff together. And that's about the only good thing about them.

Make sure you make a proper crimp on clean wire as well. Easy to do it wrong and cause the connection to over-heat.

jimkim
08-26-2018, 12:30 AM
I crimped them on freshly stripped wire. I also made sure they were tight. I may go back later and convert it to rings. I'm also temped to replace the power cable and jumpers with heavier guage wires.

I also replaced the mica plate(it fell apart) with a small PCB from an old microwave. I sheilded it from heat with high temp silicon tape. I don't think it needed it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

jsizemore
08-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Don't know if you used HI-Temp connectors. If they had a plastic insulator on them they aren't gonna last. You can go online or to your local appliance parts store and get the good ones. They are rated for 850 or 1250degF. Hi temp hook up wire is a plus and a cord with a heater rating will help. I scavenge as much of that stuff from self cleaning ovens when I get the chance. The insulation on them is pretty good too.

Petrol & Powder
08-26-2018, 10:31 AM
It may not be possible due to the way your heating element is made, but ring terminals are a much better choice for such an application.

Spade terminals make it easy to put stuff together. And that's about the only good thing about them.

Make sure you make a proper crimp on clean wire as well. Easy to do it wrong and cause the connection to over-heat.

You beat me to it.

Spade terminals can be fine in some applications but they have their limitations. They are mostly designed for rapid assembly. If they are sized properly, they do a bit better but the bean counters often over rule the engineers.

jimkim
08-26-2018, 02:12 PM
You beat me to it.

Spade terminals can be fine in some applications but they have their limitations. They are mostly designed for rapid assembly. If they are sized properly, they do a bit better but the bean counters often over rule the engineers.I was surprised they used them on a pot this old. Mine is like the one in the picture. Where can I find a large chickenhead knob? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/148eac002986dfcc1616ed01a36e4f27.jpg

Hannibal
08-26-2018, 02:25 PM
You beat me to it.

Spade terminals can be fine in some applications but they have their limitations. They are mostly designed for rapid assembly. If they are sized properly, they do a bit better but the bean counters often over rule the engineers.

Yeah. I wonder how many good pots have been tossed out over deteriorated connectors?

To the OP - 'chickenhead knob' is a new one on me. Do you mean the rheostat knob?
If so, measure the stem with a caliper and your local appliance par
ts store should be able to find something that will work for you.
Biggest challenge will probably be finding someone who will take the time to look for something. Seems most folks can't be bothered these days.

Petrol & Powder
08-26-2018, 02:41 PM
https://www.jameco.com/shop/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&refine=1&position=1&category=3545&subCategoryName=Electromechanical%20%2F%20Knobs&categoryName=cat_35&history=89vecboc%7CsubCategoryName~Electromechanic al%5Erdtvalue~Electromechanical%5Ecategory~35%5Eca tegoryName~category_root%5EprodPage~15%5Epage~SEAR CH%252BNAV

jimkim
08-27-2018, 01:22 AM
Yeah. I wonder how many good pots have been tossed out over deteriorated connectors?

To the OP - 'chickenhead knob' is a new one on me. Do you mean the rheostat knob?
If so, measure the stem with a caliper and your local appliance par
ts store should be able to find something that will work for you.
Biggest challenge will probably be finding someone who will take the time to look for something. Seems most folks can't be bothered these days.I want the large version of this. The round one I have works fine, I just think the larger pointer style knob looks better. I know that's a waste of money.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitarknobs_chickenhead.htmhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180827/365d33d60d59de628f647d0a3a04f439.jpg