PDA

View Full Version : Lead testers

odette
08-25-2018, 01:28 PM
I have a MS Machining, LLC lead tester and not really happy with it. I have mainly used it to test ingots and get inconsistent readings from ingot to ingot from the same melt. I just heard about the Lead Bullets Technology Lead Tester. Has anyone had experience with these 2 testers?
LBT is saying not to test ingots as you got an untrue reading or a lower BHN reading.
Also can anyone recommend a good mold for a .41 mag for silhouette shooting, at least a 220 grain, gas check, in a 4 cavity aluminum mold block or brass. The gun is a TC Contender Super 14" and hopefully a Marlin lever action if I can ever find a good pre-Remlin or if Marlins quality improves

Mike W1
08-25-2018, 02:15 PM
I've had a LBT unit I bought when he was still in AZ years ago and get consistent results long as I follow his instructions. Have never did a test comparing the BHN of an ingot to a bullet though. I'd suspect there might not be a whole lot of difference between the two but never did it myself. Being I only cast handgun bullets anymore I don't use it a lot. Did buy a Lee mould off evil bay that is only used for testing BHN. Fat little .45 with a flat nose for easier testing.

RedHawk357Mag
08-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Pretty good article about lead testers on Los Angeles silhouette club web page. Pretty informative on several different testers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
08-30-2018, 07:13 AM
I think most here agree that the cabin tree tester is the cadilac of them all and sold at a very reasonable price.

Guesser
08-30-2018, 08:48 AM
My Cabin Tree unit is accurate and highly repeatable

Mike W1
08-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Don't own one but believe it's Cabine not Cabin.

hermans
09-05-2018, 06:06 AM
I agree with Lloyd, the Cabine Tree is simply the best lead tester out there. It is easy to use, versatile and is made like a tank, will outlast the owner.

georgerkahn
09-05-2018, 08:02 AM
I have had several testers, and -- the reason for "several" is due to the inconsistency of MY results. (Waaaay back I was told one needs to take 1,000 readings with ones micrometer before consistent, accurate, repeatable readings are gleaned ;)) Similar, I reckoned, was MY inconsistency reading bullet alloy hardness. To "beat" this, I complement my Cabine with a few factory lead bullets -- from Oregon, Hornady, etc. -- with pubished hardnesses.
When I mix an alloy and then cast a bunch of bullets with it, it seems to work for me to compare the indent size with that on the factory bullets. It amazes me how similar they are, and best of all, it reinforces the readings one gets on pretty much any lead tester. I have eight (factory) bullets kept in an old Rx pill bottle with their published hardness of each marked on each's bottom with a Sharpie.
Just what I do...
geo

lightman
09-05-2018, 10:04 AM
The only one I have ever had is the Cabine Tree. It seems to be accurate and I can get repeated readings with it. It also has enough room to test ingots or odd shaped chunks of lead. My opinion about being accurate comes from testing known alloys and comparing my readings to the published hardness. I looked really hard at the Saeco tester before buying the Cabine Tree.

OFFSHORE
09-05-2018, 09:39 PM
I have a MS Machining, LLC lead tester and not really happy with it. I have mainly used it to test ingots and get inconsistent readings from ingot to ingot from the same melt. I just heard about the Lead Bullets Technology Lead Tester. Has anyone had experience with these 2 testers?
LBT is saying not to test ingots as you got an untrue reading or a lower BHN reading.
Also can anyone recommend a good mold for a .41 mag for silhouette shooting, at least a 220 grain, gas check, in a 4 cavity aluminum mold block or brass. The gun is a TC Contender Super 14" and hopefully a Marlin lever action if I can ever find a good pre-Remlin or if Marlins quality improves

I too read the article on the LASC website and that plus the cost was my reason for going with the Lee tester. Yes, it is a little bit of a PITA, but it seems to be accurate. . .define that for me - LOL! As far as molds go, I just received my 4 cavity mold from Accurate Molds. . .they have or can mill whatever bullet size/style you could possibly want. I had my mold within 10 days! Good luck and a 41 Mag in your setup is pretty awesome!