PDA

View Full Version : Found another great Lyman devastor load for my ruger 77/44!

Tripplebeards
08-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Last trip to the range my groups opened up and had a few stuck casings fron high pressure loads using 23.8 gr of h110. I was blaming my scale since it went on the blink and was jumping up and down in 20 gr increments in a matter of seconds. I replaced the 18 year old RCBS digital charge master scale with a charge lite. Awesome scale btw! Since my best 100 yard group last range session was 1.273" with 21.2 gr of lil gun using the old scale I loaded up test loads in 21.1gr,21.2gr, and 21.3 gr of lil gun. I also tried 23.8 gr of h110 that I shot 2, 1.3" 100 yard groups with the old batch of alloy.

I also cleaned the gun this morning before heading to the range and found my scope had come loose and slid back a good quarter inch. I used resin on my scope rings and could see the starting point where the scope slid from. I also used loct tite blue in the screws before hand and for some reason the ring screws were loose causing the optic to shift. I also found the action screws a little loose. On top of all that when I cleaned it there was either power residue build up or it was a little chunk of lead built up on the extractor. I'm guessing this was the cause of my random stuck casings causing head space issues?

I just came back from the range. I took two fouler shots and tried my first three shot group at a 100 yards using 21.1 gr of lil gun. I shot a .6" group!

http://i.imgur.com/KyfPU4G.jpg

I tried all my other loads and they were larger than the 21.1 gr of lil gun so I never measured them but the 21.2 and 21.3 gr loads were around the 1.5" range if I had to guess and my h110 load Opened up to about 2" which was close to the same as last session. Im wondering if the new batch of alloy I mixed is a little different than the original alloy tested causing the H110 group to open up?

Anyways I'm excited to have found a sub MOA load for the 80/20 ACCOWW and lead flooring mix adding 12% pewter to it! I water tested this alloy with the devastor last month and ended up with a test book 23.8 gr w296 load that weighed 155 gr. I would assume the 21.2 gr charge of lil gun will be less velocity and will aid in less weight retention.

mattw
08-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Nice! I bet RCBS will replace that scale.

Tripplebeards
08-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Nice! I bet RCBS will replace that scale.

I called and had them try and help me recalibrate it. They laughed when I told them I bought it new in 2000' and said their digital scales only last 5-6 years on average. The rcbs rep told me it only had a one year warranty and I definitely got my $189 out of it that I paid for it new from Scheels back in the day. They recommend replacing it with the charge lite so I bought one.

I'm going to take it to a handy man that's an electronics guru and see if he can fix it. The scale gets stuck in "hold" mode when recalibrating and jumps up and down in .5-.6 grain variances all the time. The scale has been jumping up and down like this for years. I would say probably since I bought it. I figured it was just sensitive. If I put my hand close to it the scale would say it's weight charge would go it. I cleaned it with a downy fabric sheet and it quit jumping in weight then it went on the blink the next load session.