PDA

View Full Version : People can be surprising sometimes.

Snow ninja
08-23-2018, 02:00 PM
So today I was sitting in Firestone getting an oil change and tire rotation on my truck, minding my own business looking at GunBroker for a Colt Officers 45, when this guy starts in on why my truck went in before his. He'd been waiting about 15 minutes before I got there apparently. Fair question I figure. Guys tell him that the truck had a 12 o'clock appointment and that he was on the standby list to get worked in. This dude just keeps saying, "But I was here first!" They keep trying to explain why they couldn't bump my appointment, but this dude thinks he's apparently more important than I am.

Guy isn't letting it go, so as I stand up to refill my coffee, I (as politely as I can possibly manage) ask him "Excuse me sir, but may I ask why you think you're more important than I am?" He kind of cocks his head to the side and goes "What"?

I go, "That's my truck they brought in before yours, but it's only because I called last week to make an appointment like an adult. Can you explain why you think my whole day should get messed up because you can't make plans?."

Now this is where things took a surprising turn. He kind of stares at me far a couple of seconds, then starts to chuckle. He goes, "Man, I don't know why I'm being such an a****le, but when you say it like that it's plain as day. Man, I'd be pissed if it was the other way around. I'm sorry"

I say, "hey man, no problem, we all get a little too into ourselves sometimes."

He goes, "No, it is a problem. I feel bad. Hey, you had lunch yet?"

Long story shorter, He invited me over to the taco truck that was across the street and bought me lunch. We got to talking and I learned he had recently lost his wife and "hadn't quite been the same since" and that she was his "ground when I got worked up". I told him I couldn't imagine what that must be like and didn't want to.

Guy ended up being a pretty cool dude, that was just going through a rough spell. Reminded me of that saying "be kind to others, because you never know what struggles they are going through"

reddog81
08-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Everybody makes mistakes. It's how you handle yourself afterwards that really matters. That guy made a mistake, but then owned up to it. Most people would continue to whine about it and let it ruin their day.

Handloader109
08-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Worked out well, this time. I think that if it had been a snowflake, it might not have. But you did have an adult there.
Kind of like the place where I go get my hair cut. They have an 'app' you can put on your 'smart' phone. Then, you can make an appointment using it, and if you are good time manager, walk right in and be at the head of a line of guys like me that just walk in. OH, I KNOW that they might be ahead of me and walk straight in. But these guys aren't that busy when I go in. And I expect to wait.

robg
08-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Takes a real gent to apologize .

Der Gebirgsjager
08-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Good for you. Good for him. A one in a million experience. :-D

lightman
08-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Sounds like you handled it pretty well. It would have been easy to say the wrong thing or too much.

Thundarstick
08-23-2018, 04:36 PM
It's not always what I say, but how I say it. Thank you for sharing this to remind me of what I should strive for every day. :-D

MyFlatline
08-23-2018, 05:39 PM
A great reminder of life's hurdles, Thanks for the story.

Grmps
08-23-2018, 05:43 PM
It's stories like this that help us be more tolerant.

sureYnot
08-23-2018, 07:15 PM
It's stories like this that help us be more tolerant.+1

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
08-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Good for you for handling it with tact, and good for him for recognizing his oops and handling it well :)

WRideout
08-23-2018, 07:55 PM
You did a good thing for the other guy, too. He had things he needed to get off his chest.
Wayne

Wag
08-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Sadly, I can relate all too well to that guy. Big kudos to you for how you talked to him.

If you were close by, I'd buy you a beer myself.

--Wag--

Snow ninja
08-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it. Glad it worked out for the best, could've gone a much different route.