PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli/Uberti vs. Shiloh Sharps

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Why am I buying a $3000.00 rifle instead of a $800.00 to $1000.00 rifle?
Is the Shiloh Sharps that good that I really need to spend that much?
Would a Pedersoli/Uberti not shoot just as well?
What model would one go with? I like the Shiloh Sharps 1894 Sporter with a pistol grip and pewter tip so does Pedersoli/Uberti make anything close?
TIA,
Duke

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Here is the one I like.
S.774 1874 Sharps Buffalo
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/img/Arms/S.774.jpg
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/default.aspx?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=260&lang=en

13Echo
09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Shiloh sharps are beautifully made rifles with excellent fit and finish. Pedersoli have superb barrels with good metal work, especially on the action, and good inletting of the stocks. Stock finish is spotty and the wood on the standard models often is so-so but acceptable. Uberti sharps are made by Pedersoli. Uberti makes a nice High Wall but Uberti barrels have a rather poor reputation.

Pride of ownership - Shiloh
Best quality to cost - Pedersoli

I have a Pedersoli and it is accurate and well made.

Jerry Liles

freedom475
09-23-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.csharpsarms.com/1874_hartford.php

I would have a long hard look at C-Sharps. They make a rifle as good or better than anyone.

I own a Pedersoli and it shoots fine. I use mine for hunting and shooting, not matches. I am very hard on it and it has held up fine through the years.

DSC_0047.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8879&stc=1&d=1222181605)

Bullshop
09-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Have you seen the limited edition creedmore match rifles from Pedersoli ? Only 500 being made and they are beautiful? The guns are gorgeous but I dont think too much of thier sights. Check um out, bet ya like um!
BIC/BS

Don McDowell
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
You must be tacking on quite a bit of stuff to get a Shilo to 3k?
Last I checked the Pedersoli/uberti 74's were the same price or a little more than the basic Shilo.
Add another vote for CSharps rifles as being top quality, and if they don't have one you want on hand it don't take them but around 30-90 days to get the one you want.

Either of the Big Timber made rifles are a better value than anything the Italians can send over, both in quality, and should you decide you don't want a Sharps anymore in resale value. Take a look around at variuos guns for sale places, the Big Timber rifles don't loose much if any value, the Italians will drop a 1/4 just packing it out the door of the slobber shop.

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 12:17 PM
You must be tacking on quite a bit of stuff to get a Shilo to 3k?
Last I checked the Pedersoli/uberti 74's were the same price or a little more than the basic Shilo.
Add another vote for CSharps rifles as being top quality, and if they don't have one you want on hand it don't take them but around 30-90 days to get the one you want.

Either of the Big Timber made rifles are a better value than anything the Italians can send over, both in quality, and should you decide you don't want a Sharps anymore in resale value. Take a look around at variuos guns for sale places, the Big Timber rifles don't loose much if any value, the Italians will drop a 1/4 just packing it out the door of the slobber shop.

I was looking at the 1874 SPORTER #1 Metal butt plate, pewter tip and #2 grade stock but now I am oogling something more traditional like the 1874 SPORTER #3 Metal butt plate, pewter tip and standard grade stock. My cost on one this is $2400.00

.45Cole
09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Whenever I can i try to make sure that my money goes to an American craftsman. But I guess that Walmart and Hi Point are American companies. (no offense to any employees of these campanies)

Don McDowell
09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Duke according to the 2008 catalog , the #3 just as you describe is listed at 1657 plus fet. Pedersoli's version (sort of) of the same rifle is 13sumthin plus shipping when ordered from Cabela's. CSA's box stock 74's are 17and change. For me the choice is simple, but some folks still think wrongly think they can't afford a Big Timber made rifle.

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Duke according to the 2008 catalog , the #3 just as you describe is listed at 1657 plus fet. Pedersoli's version (sort of) of the same rifle is 13sumthin plus shipping when ordered from Cabela's. CSA's box stock 74's are 17and change. For me the choice is simple, but some folks still think wrongly think they can't afford a Big Timber made rifle.

I just called them and they said a year or so wait.

freedom475
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
C-SHARPS!!!!-go there! The factory is just down the road from Shiloh, (you can see one factory from the other). The people at C-sharps are just a LOT nicer to deal with! Since Quigley those shiloh people have been so holy'r than thow....on & on ...rant rant ...OK not going to go there, ...yes I live in Montana and have been to both factories.

If you have $3000 to spend don't forget to look at The Rifle Smith (Axtel) from Sheridan MT, Carmen makes a SWEET rifle! Been there too. The quality is perfect.

What ever CO. you choose, the Sharps is just So much fun! It's a desease.

chuebner
09-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Not to change the thread too far but what are the educated opinions concerning Tristar or Taylor Sharps. I've seen some retail for right around a grand. Are they good, bad or so-so?

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
C Sharps was $100.00 cheaper but they said I still have to wait 3 months .

Don McDowell
09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
C Sharps was $100.00 cheaper but they said I still have to wait 3 months .

3 months ain't nutin, hell boy you've been this long without a Sharps , 3 months ( if it takes that long, mine took 30 days from order to delivery) will go by pretty fast. Even if you waited for a Shiloh its well worth the wait.
Don't forget to check out CSA's available list at their web.

Don McDowell
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Not to change the thread too far but what are the educated opinions concerning Tristar or Taylor Sharps. I've seen some retail for right around a grand. Are they good, bad or so-so?

Don't know about the tristar , but with just a bit over a year of competition shooting and somewhere under 3k rounds the internals of the lock in my Taylors started breaking. They don't give a whip if you need those parts for an upcoming shoot in 2 weeks or not.[smilie=b:
That was after I had to loctite all the screws in the action and trigger (including the one that holds the hammer on) so they wouldn't completely back out every 20 rounds or so.
The barrel is stamped 45-70 , but the chamber will almost chamber a full length 45-90. Once I started trimming 90 cases down to 2.25 the leading thing eased up quite a bit.
Go ahead and "save" the money by not buying a Big Timber built gun.[smilie=b:

badgeredd
09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
If I had the money to spend, I'd likely go for a C-Sharps mainly cause they are made in USA.

Since I didn't have the money, I bought a Pedersoli from Cabelas on sale a good many years ago. I haven't been disappointed in the rifle at all. It is chambered for 40-65 and I'd guess I've put a couple thousand rounds through it. Not any problems to date. One day I'd like to get another in 45-70 but that'll have to wait til the cash is available. Bottom line is it is your money but I can't see you going wrong with any of the three manufacturers.

montana_charlie
09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
what are the educated opinions concerning Tristar or Taylor Sharps.
Both Taylor's and Tristar are importers...not makers.
Tristar sells the Sharps-pattern rifles made by Pedretti and Sons, which are marketed by Tristar, I.A.B., and others.

Taylor's handles the rifles made by Armi Sport.

Pedretti guns would probably fall into the category of 'safe to fire'. But people have complained about action parts wearing out quickly, or breaking, which raises suspicions about the temper of the steel. They recently came out with their 'Hartford' model, which has a normal-looking 1874 hammer. Earlier rifles all have that hump-backed hammer reminisent of the ones used in the percussion-to-cartridge conversions.

It is hoped that the 'Hartfords' are of better overall quality than the predecessors.

Armi Sport rifles are 'pretty good to very good'...and you can't know which you will get. The 'very good' ones can (perhaps) challenge Pedersoli in accuracy, but you have to be lucky to get one. The rest are fine for the casual Sharps shooter, and probably even suitable for the hunter.
The Armi Sport models closely copy those of Pedersoli...and are difficult to tell apart when looking at pictures. But the lever has a slightly lower 'sag' below the triggers...which is detectable if you have looked at a lot of them.

I could be tempted to buy an Armi Sport, if it was used and the owner said it was one of the very good ones. Of course, you would have to trust that the seller knows the difference between good and very good...and that he would tell the truth.

For a look at some of the best Pedersoli prices, look at Dixie Gun Works.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=M1874+or+1874

CM

KCSO
09-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Have seen handled and shot most of the reproduction Sharps rifles and so far 4 original guns.
My personal gun is a Pedersoli #1 sporter and my last one was a Billy Dixon model. IMHO the Pedersoli is every bit as good or better than the original Sharps. The Shiloh is better yet but unless they have something on the rack you like you'll have to wait for it. The C Sharps is probably just as nice as the Shiloh and is more available. Check Cabela's gun library as they usually have a few C Sharps trade in's. Do not under any circumstance get a Pedratti or a IAB unless you like working on guns and have lots of tools. I am fixing these constantly, soft parts too heavy and poorly made springs bad chambers ect. In actual shooting I have found that my Pedersoli will shoot almost as good as the expensive guns at 300 yards. Using a C Sharps in 45-70 and my gun we shot black powder loads at 300 yards and over all my groups were about 1 1/2" larger with the Pedersoli, but this could have been just a case of the C Sharps liking the load better. For hunting and informal or entry level target shooting the Pedersoli will get the job done.

What I would wan't in a Sharps rifle...
First off make sure that the lever spring is a flat spring NOT the coil and ball in the cheaper copies. The first time you take the block out anywhere the ball will get lost and if you do it at the range the spring will be gone too! Get one with a bushed firing pin if you intend to shoot smokless at all and make sure the gun has a one piece firing pin. The cheaper guns are two pieces press together and WILL give you trouble. I would like a Sharps with the Fruend double extractors and I will make a set for my gun some day. The extractor was the weak link in the sharps the same as lack of camming was with the rolly block. Make sure the parts are properly hardened, this is hard to check in the shop so you need to do some research. If you are a real history buff spend the money because NONE of the Ities has gotten the stock shaped right.

Now to Pi$$ off the Sharps lovers...
The original Sharps rifles were no great shakes. They were fitted and finished no better than any other gun in the time period. They had a lousy firing pin system and they pierced primers and leaked gas right into your eye. They were a complicated design that made the best of using up mil surp leftovers. The extractor design was faulty and the early chamber design was strange to say the least.

I LOVE "EM !

KCSO
09-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Almost forgot, be sure the breech block has a gas plate!

KCSO
09-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Up for bid is a blued full octagon barrel for a replica SHARPS single shot sporting rifle which is marked TAYLOR'S & CO.INC.,WINCHESTER-VA.,ARMI SPORT ITALY cal.40/65. [ATTENTION: Bore is actually .45 caliber & rifled with the chamber cut for the 40/65 cartridge]. Barrel is approx. 32" lg.,7/8" across flats at muzzle,1" near breach,with dovetails for rear sight,drilled/tapped hole for forearm screw,front sight dovetail has not been cut. Bore/rifling of course is very brite/shiney.

"cause the bullet never touched it. Nuff said!

John Boy
09-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Duke - proof is the targets ...
This is Homer. He is a 1000yd steel silhouette. The splashes are from a Pedersoli Quigley and a Uberti HiWall (45-70's)
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2767.jpg

This is a 16" circle I painted on Homer - splashes from the Pedersoli
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2900.jpg
Homer is 82" wide and 48" high

Buckshot
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
..................The only way I'd buy a Uberti Hi-Wall is if it was used, and from a freind so I could see it shoot. Uberti barrels are a crap shoot.

..............Buckshot

montana_charlie
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
..................The only way I'd buy a Uberti Hi-Wall is if it was used, and from a freind so I could see it shoot. Uberti barrels are a crap shoot.
But, just so these mentions of Uberti Hiwalls don't get this 'Sharps' thread confused...
The Sharps rifles sold under the Uberti name are made by Pedersoli in the configurations that Uberti orders. Therefore, they have Pedersoli barrels on them...which are identical to the barrels found on Pedersoli-marked rifles.
CM

longhorn
09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Duke-The Black Powder Cartridge News says there's a buffalo match held in Boulder City-doesn't say how often. Says to email Dennis Swoope at jsbcnv@yahoo.com for info. I suggest going to a match, acting nice, and shooters will probably let you examine, fondle, and maybe even shoot some Sharps by various makers. Hands on experience will clarify your thinking. Let us know what you decide.

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Duke-The Black Powder Cartridge News says there's a buffalo match held in Boulder City-doesn't say how often. Says to email Dennis Swoope at jsbcnv@yahoo.com for info. I suggest going to a match, acting nice, and shooters will probably let you examine, fondle, and maybe even shoot some Sharps by various makers. Hands on experience will clarify your thinking. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks Longhorn. I have met Dennis several times and chatted with him on the phone on numeous occasions. He is a very nice fella too.

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I still am infatuated with the Shiloh like a kid with a crush on a school girl.
Well I think this is going to end up like my multiple Puma aquisitions where I just threw up my hands and said fkit (I never swear) and ended up bitting it and buying Wincherster/Miroku 1892's.
Grrrr!!!! Man that's alot a money for a rifle to stuff into a scabbard on some honary horse flesh. Not to say I will probably beat the crap out of it toting it around in the woods.
My spirit won't rest until I get a Shiloh Sharps. Must be one of those ancestrial thing coming back to haunt me. This is not a phase by the way it. This period rifle thing has been a rain cloud above me awaiting to burst my whole life.

Bear Claw
09-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Duke

I haven't posted much here in a while as I enjoy reading the posts more than making them, And my old pappy always said "It is better to be silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt".... But I have been reading your posts and just wanted to add my .02....

I also have been down the "black rifle" path & the combat handguns etc.etc.
And I also always felt like I was missing something, anyway A buddy of mine got me into shooting c&b revolvers ( lots -o- fun to me ) and I slowly began to loose interest in " modern firearms"
Now I have Two Shiloh's a Rem R B , 1 86 & 1 92 Winchester I had a colt saa made in 1890 but some guy had more money than I could turn down so its gone.

All this to just say welcome home,,,,,,,,,,

P. S. go with the Shiloh and never look back

wills
09-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Ever consider a nice rolling block?
http://www.lonestarrifle.com/images/sport1.gif

Just Duke
09-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Duke - proof is the targets ...
This is Homer. He is a 1000yd steel silhouette. The splashes are from a Pedersoli Quigley and a Uberti HiWall (45-70's)
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2767.jpg

This is a 16" circle I painted on Homer - splashes from the Pedersoli
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2900.jpg
Homer is 82" wide and 48" high

Cool! :bigsmyl2: Thanks for the pics. Pretty accurate I would say.

EDK
09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
I looked at Shilohs and C. Sharps at the factory. Both good guns.

C. Sharps didn't exactly break a leg to make me welcome or show me guns. They have little or no web site.

Shiloh Sharps greeted me like family and when I asked to look at a rifle, was told "walk around the counter and look at all of them. AND if you don't see what you want, we'll make it for you." And they did. The extra fancy wood flunked final inspection and was re-placed...with AA finish, pewter tip, etc....they ate a chunk of money because if it isn't perfect, it doesn't leave the factory! The Shiloh web site is pretty opinionated and sometimes they aren't very kind about C.Sharps or the italian imports BUT they're shooters and they weren't shy about paying the price and/or the long wait for what they considered the best rifles.

You really out to go up there sometime. The Quigley shoot is a lot of fun; you could look at the guns yourself in Big Timber...and maybe find what you want in the rack. They had A DEAL on an engraved 45/90 that someone backed out on just before Quigley last summer. OR you could call Bill Goodman and talk to him; he probably has some guns you'd like and you could have them NOW.

I really screwed up in 2006. Shiloh had a 45/70 Long Range Express twin to my 50/90, except for the pewter fore end tip. Heather Bryan asked my schedule...I went to Boise after Quigley...and said they'd get the sights installed, do the pewter tip and have it ready for me in two weeks when I headed back to St Louis OR the shipping would be free. I passed and the gun was sold two hours later; still kicking myself on that one two years later.

I watch my money as well as the next guy...and I like expensive toys. BUT I'll spend a few more dollars (or a couple hundred!) and buy a Shiloh because I know it will be perfect out of the box and the service and customer support is second to none. I haven't spent over $150 a visit since I ordered the rifle in 2003, but every time I walk through the door I am considered a valued customer; a friend and a member of the Shiloh Rifle family. You've heard enough now...you ready to join the family?

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Woodtroll
09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Duke,

Once you get the Shiloh in your hands, you will never regret your decision, and the money will not matter, especially if this has been a deep-seated desire your whole life, as you say. They really are fine rifles, and I for one appreciate the transition they represent from percussion to cartridge guns.

For what it is worth, C. Sharps did me dirt in the mid-90s. They promised me an 1874 in a year when Shiloh was quoting an honest three, and five-and-a-half years later I got the rifle I ordered, at CONSIDERABLY increased price plus the Excise tax which was included when I ordered but not when I received the rifle. I took this up with John Schoffstall himself, who basically told me not so politely that my objections did not matter to him. I promised him that I would make sure that anyone who brought up the issue would hear my story, and that did not bother him either. They are decent guns, although not quite up to Shiloh's fit and finish, but I would NEVER order another one. I would not be afraid to by one used from someone else, though, if I could see it first.

Either way, get an American Sharps. I've lived in the southern Appalachians my whole life, and always wanted an honest-to-goodness Virginia-style flintlock. I once thought the Traditions Pennsylvania would be close enough, but an Italian-made American original rifle is just not the same... Maybe someday I'll own an American reproduction.

Hope this helps (you spend your money). <G>!

Good luck!

klw
09-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Why am I buying a $3000.00 rifle instead of a $800.00 to $1000.00 rifle?
Is the Shiloh Sharps that good that I really need to spend that much?
What model would one go with? I like the Shiloh Sharps 1894 Sporter with a pistol grip and pewter tip so does Pedersoli/Uberti make anything close?
TIA,
Duke

I bought a Riflesmith Sharps instead of a Shiloh because way back then the delivery delay on the Shiloh was five plus years. I also had a Pedersoli Sharps. The Riflesmith certainly looked better but the Pedersoli worked. That Riflesmith was returned to the factory at least four times. Something broke on it just about every time I tried shooting it. The Pedersoli just worked. Didn't look quite as nice but it was certainly functional.

I've owned a non-cartridge Shiloh. Nice gun. I think that the only appeal a Shiloh has over a Pedersoli is the fit and finish. If that's worth two grand to you then do it. But personally I think that I'd rather have a gun, the Pedersoli, that is almost as good and two thousand dollars cheaper.

longhorn
09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
$2000 cheaper? That would be a deal, if you could find it. Personally, I'd rather have the Shiloh, built to my exact specs and drive a 10 year old truck.....and I do. The Shiloh 1874 Sporter is listing at $1754 plus $156 for the pewter tip. Isn't that $1900?

Tom Herman
10-01-2008, 12:08 AM
EDK & Woodtroll,

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences with the two Sharps companies.
I can understand anyone having a bad day, but when two people report good things about one company, and not so good stuff on the other, a pattern begins to emerge.
God willing, and I can afford it someday, I think I'll pay the Shiloh folks a visit.
I go out of my way to shop where I'm valued and treated well.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

QUOTE=EDK;401263]I looked at Shilohs and C. Sharps at the factory. Both good guns.

C. Sharps didn't exactly break a leg to make me welcome or show me guns. They have little or no web site.

Shiloh Sharps greeted me like family and when I asked to look at a rifle, was told "walk around the counter and look at all of them. AND if you don't see what you want, we'll make it for you." And they did. QUOTE]

Tom Herman
10-01-2008, 12:12 AM
My God, man! That is one FINE rifle!
Now that you've shown us the picture, tell us more about it.
What caliber is it? That is a rifle to brag about!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Ever consider a nice rolling block?
http://www.lonestarrifle.com/images/sport1.gif

klw
10-01-2008, 12:23 AM
The picture is right off the Lone Star web page. But Lone Star does make beautiful guns. I've got two, a 38-55 and a 50-70. Excellent rifles. And Romano Rifle makes beautiful guns as well.

HEAD0001
10-01-2008, 03:59 AM
If you are interested in a Pedersoli. Let me know. I have one I am going to sell this fall. The model is "The Boss". You can go to the Pedersoli web site for all the particulars. Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle. Tom.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0311.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0294.jpg

Tom Herman
10-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi KLW,

Thanks for the reply! I like Rolling Blocks, and hope to have one someday.
My dream gun would be a NYS Militia Rifle, or a Lonestar gun.
I have a Model 1868 Trapdoor in .50-70, but have not shot it yet.
I'd like to know how the recoil of the .50-70 compares to the .45-70.
One of these days I'd like to meet up with folks here in the PNW and actually be able to fire a classic BR rifle.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

The picture is right off the Lone Star web page. But Lone Star does make beautiful guns. I've got two, a 38-55 and a 50-70. Excellent rifles. And Romano Rifle makes beautiful guns as well.

e15cap
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM
I shoot an Axtel and there is NO better rifle made.

klw
10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Glad yours is ok. Mine went back to the factory four times.

Bullshop
10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Tom Herman
If you want to trade that 50/70 trap door for a roller I have a couple nice ones.
I have two Spanish contract arsenal reconditioned with about mint bores. Great shooters in 43 Rem Spanish, not reformado. I can also supply some brass and dies.
BIC/BS

Just Duke
10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I still am infatuated with the Shiloh like a kid with a crush on a school girl.
Well I think this is going to end up like my multiple Puma aquisitions where I just threw up my hands and said fkit (I never swear) and ended up bitting it and buying Wincherster/Miroku 1892's.
Grrrr!!!! Man that's alot a money for a rifle to stuff into a scabbard on some honary horse flesh. Not to say I will probably beat the crap out of it toting it around in the woods.
My spirit won't rest until I get a Shiloh Sharps. Must be one of those ancestrial thing coming back to haunt me. This is not a phase by the way it. This period rifle thing has been a rain cloud above me awaiting to burst my whole life.

OK OK I'm have weakend at the knees and caveing. lol:drinks:
And Looks like I sold another one of my AR-10's. [smilie=1:
So I'm going for the Shiloh Sharps.
Thanks all for your input.

Just Duke
10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
This fine rifle was just added to the buy sell section here guys.
Probably won't last long.

If you are interested in a Pedersoli. Let me know. I have one I am going to sell this fall. The model is "The Boss". You can go to the Pedersoli web site for all the particulars. Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle. Tom.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0311.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0294.jpg

Just Duke
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Had a great and informative conversation with Jon K last night. Thanks a bunch Jon and looking forward to more chats. :-D

EDK
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
You'll be happier with the SHILOH in years to come.

If you're going to carry it on a horse, start investigating some options on scabbards...or a hard case that can be tied to the saddle. I've had horses for 40+ years and they go out of their way to screw up your rifle...a standard style scabbard is suitable for a carbine/short rifle...not a long barreled single shot. If you have access to BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE NEWS back issues, IIRC, Steve Garbe did an article about this and made some suggestions. Basically, carry it in a case with a shoulder strap, over your shoulder. Crossways on the saddle horn looks classic, but it is hazardous to your gun if the old pony starts jumping around. AND don't even consider shooting off the horse...or very close to it!

Any horse is the lineal descendent of a million generations that were low on the food chain. The ones that ran first and then looked over their shoulder lived to raise another generation of cowards. AND they aren't "the sharpest tools in the shed."

Just Duke
10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Any horse is the lineal descendent of a million generations that were low on the food chain. The ones that ran first and then looked over their shoulder lived to raise another generation of cowards. AND they aren't "the sharpest tools in the shed."

Very much agreed EDK! Yes I to have a love/hate relationship with horses. Most horses think every little noise is a horse eater. But But! if for some reason services or fuel etc... come to an end and most are living in the proverbial stone age, the wife and I have chose to live in the 1860's. lol
We did fare pretty well in the 1860's with Sharps Rifles and lever guns with a simple lead bullet. The settlers of this country manage to genocide a race of indigenous peoples and and almost brought to extinction before it's time a latent prehistoric mammal with those said guns.

Here are the scabbard although I will probably make them myself because of needing so many
http://www.rankinsaddlery.com/images/Picture%201859.jpg

http://www.rankinsaddlery.com/scabbards_slings.htm

ref. #: rs-9

Old West Rifle Scabbard of late 1890's design with floral carving and Ringo style border tooling. This rifle case was built for an 1874 C. Sharps Arms with a 32" barrel. This rifle was very popular with buffalo hunters and long range shooters of the day, and has regained popularity again. This scabbard is profusely carved with fine floral carvings on bottom and top of case. This large case can also be used for large Winchester lever guns and large Marlin lever guns.

$475 as shown

$260 with 1 line border tooling and without floral carving

RMulhern
10-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Hmmmm......let's see now....I've got a Pedersoli .45/110 Boss Gun with 34" barrel that shoots PP real well, a Pedersoli with new 34" Badger barrel in .50/90, and a Pedersoli Buffalo Rifle with 28" barrel in .45/70....ALL FOR SALE!

Why?

I'm bumping on 70 by golly and I just don't feel like totin 'em around anymore!

All in excellent shape, residing in my safe!

:drinks:[smilie=1::drinks:

Just Duke
10-09-2008, 04:44 AM
a Pedersoli with new 34" Badger barrel in .50/90,

Pics please. What grain weight max can you shoot in this and are the moulds included FPM.

RMulhern
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Pics please. What grain weight max can you shoot in this and are the moulds included FPM.

DUKE NUKEM

One of my favorite bullets is a Brooks 720 gr. bullet and that's heavy enough!

No! The mould doesn't go!

I'll get pics soon! Mighty hard to get good pics of a firearm; you're either too far off....or too close!

Just Duke
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
DUKE NUKEM

One of my favorite bullets is a Brooks 720 gr. bullet and that's heavy enough!

No! The mould doesn't go!

I'll get pics soon! Mighty hard to get good pics of a firearm; you're either too far off....or too close!

Sounds goods.:drinks:

montana_charlie
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Duke,
You go for whatever tightens the knots in your string...

But, if I was in your position (which I ain't), I would be asking for pics of that 45/110 Boss gun.
(As a matter of fact, I would probably say 'to hell with the pictures' and just make the deal.)
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/img/Arms/S.770.jpg
CM

Gellot Wilde
10-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Excellent thread...

I originally started out over twenty years ago with a Pedersoli 1874 sporter in 45-90 which I still have and it's still going strong and shooting well in the hands of my better half. About a year after buying it I decided I wanted a Shiloh after watching that movie with Tom Selleck, the name slips my mind! :twisted:

So after ordering it the long wait began, it was a Hartford Sporter with an antique finish. Meanwhile my boss at the time came back from the shot show with a little black and white leaflet from Ballard Rifle & Cartridge. He was singing their praises with regard to fit and finish and said why not give them a call.

After phoning them and being very impressed with how friendly they were and the fact that they could answer the 'how long is delivery' question I place an order. Sure enough 6 months later the rifle arrived in the UK and it was everything I expected it to be, just perfect. :-D For one reason or another I didn't shoot it for three or four years due to work and then changing countries, all this time the Shiloh was still on order. Just over four years and then bingo, I contacted them and it was ready....to go into production...I canceled the order.

Since getting the Ballard, I have seen one or two Shiloh and a couple of C.Sharps rifles. I would say from what I have seen, the C.Sharps seem very nicely finished even in their standard format and they have excellent line true to the original. The most recent Shiloh I have seen was a real shock. The wood fit was no better than Pedersoli, the matte barrel made the rifle look plain and even though the wood was nice looking (semi-fancy) I was surprised by the level of finish on it. The grain had not even being filled before oiling by the looks of it. The model was a 'Quigley' by the way but without having the gold initials added on the side. The pewter tip was badly fitted on the left hand-side also, the wood wasn't flush and the tip looked as though it hadn't been cut cleanly.

From what I gather to get a Shiloh or C.Sharps looking something special, you need to order quite a few extras like having the barrel and screws polished and paying for the extra AA finishing on the woodwork. The standard case hardened finish looks a little odd so maybe the proper bone case hardening would improve the overall look, but so far I have not seen one with that done.

Pedersoli do make a good shootable 1874 and they can compete with the best of the custom rifles out there in the accuracy stakes with the right load. But that said I'd always pick a US built rifle over the Italian built rifles every time, the main reason for me being the lock work tends to be a little poor due to badly hardened parts and the screws seem to be made of pot metal. :-? My other beef with them is the case hardening, I'm not sure how they do it (blowtorch) but it looks nothing like the real thing.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but as it's only my second I'm sure I'll have run out of steam by the third. [smilie=1: