PDA

View Full Version : Help me ID this lead piece pls

marek313
08-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Found this at my scrap yard last time I went there. Its 9lbs, looks like nice clean lead after i peeled some of the powder coating. Not too hard but doesnt feel like pure neither. I found couple isotope containers during the same trip so I wonder if it has something to do with radiology. Never seen piece like that before. Any ideas?

lightman
08-22-2018, 01:01 PM
It looks like an isotope container. There are several different types. Most of them are an alloy that is good to cast with but a few are softer.

kevin c
08-22-2018, 01:33 PM
If that's an isotope container, it's one I've never encountered before, and it might only be part of some sort of apparatus, since it's machined so precisely inside and by itself wouldn't contain radiation in all directions (mebbe sqlbullet will chime in here).

GoodOlBoy
08-22-2018, 04:19 PM
I ain't gonna say I am positive it is what I think it is, because I have been wrong before. BUT that actually looks like some form of add-on ford (new holland) tractor weight (used to keep the nose on the ground). Our old ford has several made of cast iron, but I seem to remember there were some lead add-ons at one point that could be attached to the cast iron ones for more weight. Sure looks like the right color blue. We never bought the lead ones, because my granddad had a husky grandson he would just make stand on the front rail on the cast iron weights when there was a problem.... You talk about a hair raisin' way to ride out of the bottoms with a carryall full of firewood on the back!

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

Yodogsandman
08-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Check this site. Choose from the containers listed at the top.

http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html