PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about martini henry Bonehill conversion

labradigger1
08-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Have had this one for a while. Has a very thick 22LR liner brazed in.
Wondering how the liner would hold up to 218 Bee? I’m thinking I could use Hornet .223 bullets in it.
Thoughts anyone?

john.k
08-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Check the bore and groove first......may be too small for any jacket bullet...Then consider the liner might be soft steel,and will rapidly distort with 30-40,000psi loads...........Also if its a rimfire the internals will be modified to lower the block to suit,and some work/replacement will be needed..........If you are really determined ,a wildcat low pressure cast bullet 22 based on a Hornet case...you could call it .22 Winchester Center Fire..... would be good.

KenT7021
09-02-2018, 05:32 PM
I have one of those as well.Mine was missing the tang mounted rear sight.You would probably have to replace the lever to bring the breech block back to center fire position.If I did use a conversion I would only use cast bullets as john.k is probably correct about the barrel liner material.The rifle will worth more if left in original condition.

labradigger1
09-02-2018, 07:09 PM
I will probably leave this one as a Bonehill conversion.
I bought 3 Enfield martini actions at the flea market this weekend for the pricey sum of $110. Now looks like I need to do 3 conversions lol.
I’m thinking 218 bee (maybe mashburn later but I already have bee framers).
219 zipper for another and
357 supermag or maybe 38-55 for the third action.