PDA

View Full Version : kitchen backsplash

Battis
08-21-2018, 10:29 AM
In the past I asked for, and received, good advice on things like cast iron radiator repair, kitchen cabinet installation, hardwood flooring. Well, it's time to call out The Big Guns again.

The kitchen is basically finished; newly installed cabinets, soapstone countertop, refinished oak floor. Now, we have to pick a backsplash for the section above the countertop and below the cabinets. This has been going on for months. Da Mamma wants tin - the DIY type where you cut the squares to fit. We've also talked about tile, glass, copper and a few other materials. I'm not on board with the tin simply because if it's not done right it won't look right. And as far as hiring someone to do it - after the floor sanding fiasco, I'm not big on that.
I even thought about long, thin strips of wood finished with a router.
Any ideas, suggestions, experiences?

Reddirt62
08-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Well, all I can do is show you what we did.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180821/864da1351ebbd6eb1a2b78ce3e7a032e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Battis
08-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Nice. Is that tile? Did you do it yourself?

Grmps
08-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Glass Tile ↑↑↑

Battis, post some pictures of your kitchen so we can see the color of the countertop, cabinets and appliances.

I used to install laminate and Corian, full backsplashes in either of these materials look great and are easy to clean. You could choose a color that compliments your countertop, cabinets, and appliances.

I personally like stainless behind the stove but this look is to industrial for many people

brass410
08-21-2018, 03:06 PM
wow that is sharp! swmbo will be expecting me to do hers now, she's getting tired of the in progress plywood renovation look we've got goin on.

Jake McCracken
08-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Maybe im missing something but isnt the point of a backsplash to do just that, catch the backsplash? Wouldn't Tin rust in a short period if it were catching splash?

Myself Id go with something more waterproof like tile or the same material as the countertop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Battis
08-21-2018, 05:45 PM
I'll get a pic as soon as I find my camera (or figure out how to post from a phone).
The countertop is soapstone with a 3" backsplash also made from soapstone. Maybe I'm using the wrong term - I'm talking about the part above the 3" backsplash to the bottom of the cabinets.

shooter93
08-21-2018, 06:06 PM
I use an awful lot of ceramic tile in kitchens I do. You can do it yourself if you have some skills. I very STRONGLY suggest if you use tile to use Epoxy Grout and use only Laticrete brand. I have used them all. It is by far the easiest to apply and more importantly to clean up. If you decide to go that route lat me know and I'd be happy to coach you through it.

Sweetpea
08-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Ceramic, stone, and glass, all are pretty simple.

Tin can be really hard to make edges look good.

Stay away from any mosaics with metal pieces, they are a royal pain.

I'll second the Laticrete grout, but the epoxy version can be very unforgiving.

Also, most mosaics are wet cut, but you need to blot them dry, as if they are too wet too long, the pieces will start to shift or fall off the backing.

Battis
08-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Here's a pretty bad phone pic of a section of the countertop and cabinets. The cabinet color is called "cognac." The soapstone has a green tinge to it. The floor is finished, unstained oak. As far as skills - I have put down some floor tiling, but I've never applied tile on a wall. My wife's parent's kitchen has some sort of tin on the wall and she seems pretty set on that.
I want to fill in the space above the backsplash where the old wallpaper is now.
What about wood strips?

tryNto
08-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Whatever you go with, 1st think about clean-up, How hard/easy it will be to get the grease off of.

MUSTANG
08-21-2018, 08:38 PM
I tend to lean towards looking at long term wear and usability. I think Tin will be problematic as it will collect dust and airborne greases and other products. Cleaning it will be difficult, and the finish over time will suffer from cleaners you may use for cleaning the dust and airborne grease from the surface of the Tin.

I would lean to a Glass, Porcelain, or other similar closed pore product that is more easily cleaned and maintained over the years.

DCM
08-21-2018, 08:47 PM
I prefer stainless also, very easy clean-up.

If you are getting backsplash in your kitchen your target is either too close or too hard.

Battis
08-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Cleanup and durability are good points. Tin doesn't make sense in that regard. As far as the target being too close or hard, I gotta admit that many times since I started this project I've been tempted to redecorate with lead, or an axe...
But, we're almost there.

rancher1913
08-21-2018, 09:06 PM
My wife's parent's kitchen has some sort of tin on the wall and she seems pretty set on that.

sounds like tin it is :roll:

William Yanda
08-21-2018, 09:50 PM
And remember, "If Mama ain't happy........"

Battis
08-21-2018, 10:03 PM
My wife just got back from shopping around (Lowes, HD) and while there she met a couple who rehab and flip houses. They told her that a few people they know went with tin but removed it within a year. She came home with some tile samples and I think we got a winner.
Now the fun part...

NyFirefighter357
08-21-2018, 10:07 PM
I would go with a metal laminate. Cuts with shears and held in place with contact cement. My back splash matches the counter and it's laminate. Laminate has come a far way from when I was building cabinets for a living. Check these decorative metal laminate sheets from Wilsonart. https://www.wilsonart.com/decorative-metals

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wilsonart-Premium-48-in-x-96-in-Satin-Stainless-Laminate-Kitchen-Countertop-Sheet/1000328509?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-Kitchens-_-SosCountertopProuctAndAccess-_-1000328509:Wilsonart&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000328509&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=26a063c4-f893-452f-b056-5b61ce8aef4c&msclkid=6da368eac910190ed74b3396031658e2#

You could choose a soapstone look as well. http://www.cabinetmakerwarehouse.com/catalog/product-category/sheet-laminate/sheet-laminate-formica/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Laminate_Wilsonart&utm_term=wilsonart&utm_content=Wilsonart

It doesn't take much to hold tile to a wall 1/8" notch trowel depending on the tile. You will have to cut some. Use polymer grout and seal as directed as any grout around the stove will get dirty.

Also check out Formica brand laminates http://www.formica.com/en/us/products/formica-laminate-home#swatchesTab

Battis
08-21-2018, 10:52 PM
Interesting. I'll have Da Mamma check those out, too.
I have some time - last Wednesday I had disc surgery in Boston. The one where they take some bone, some disc and whatever junk they find in there.
Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions.

tunnug
08-21-2018, 11:39 PM
I also used to be a cabinet/countertop installer, whenever I did a laminate wall covering/full height backsplash it was always glued on to 1/8" Hardboard, easier and safer to handle when fitting between upper cabs and counter, we used an adhesive caulking like Alex Plus by Dapp applied in half dollar dolops instead of lines with hot glue to hold it in place while the caulking dried, the exposed edges get a bead of caulking, which is then painted the wall color when it dries. If done correctly it'll look nice and is easy to keep clean.

fast ronnie
08-21-2018, 11:51 PM
We've got stainless behind our stove and to each side. Above the sink and on that side (L-shaped counter) it's textured, but there really isn't that much there, as there are cabinets on both sides with a large window above the sink.