PDA

View Full Version : Old cartridges, what do I have?

jimlj
08-20-2018, 06:50 PM
I got these from a box of reloading stuff I purchased years ago, and have no idea what they are.
One is some kind of pin fire, bullet measures .452", case is .579" and oal is 1.039. Round nose bullet.
Next is a rimmed revolver cartridge with what looks to be a .436" bullet, .671" case and oal of 1.143". The rim measures .502". Round nose bullet
Next is a rimmed cartridge with a .423" bullet, case is .928" and oal of 1.206". Rim measures .505". Round nose flat point bullet.
No markings or head stamps on anything.
I'd post some pictures but I'm not smart enough to know how.
All measurements taken with a digital caliper by a guy who may not be qualified to use one.
Any Idea what I have?

Traffer
08-20-2018, 08:36 PM
I would suggest figuring out how to post pictures of this stuff. It is very hard without seeing anything.

Pressman
08-22-2018, 08:08 PM
We must have pictures to solve your riddle.

Bazoo
08-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Cartridges of the world gives cartridge dimensions in a table with all the critical measurements, so you can check your measurements by the table and help figure out which it might be easily.

jimlj
08-23-2018, 10:41 PM
I'll try this. I hope you can see them.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asset.php?fid=193776&uid=43672&d=1535078226

MrWolf
08-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Pictures don't work with that link.

Grmps
08-24-2018, 02:05 PM
This work great for me

Posting pictures using IMGUR
1) Go to https://imgur.com/
2)Select sign up: Fill out information or register with: facebook, twitter, Google+ or Yahoo account
3)Log into your account
4)Click on your name and select images
5) click on the Add Images box (upper right) -- click on browse and find your picture
or
6) On your computer, rt click on the picture you want to upload and hit copy (or hit control C)
7) go back to IMGUR, L click on the girafe/up arrow and either rt click and select paste or hit control V
or (the easiest way), IF you have more than 1 monitor, drag the picture you want and drop it anywhere on the IMGUR screen
8) On IMGUR, Left click on the picture you want
9) Then click on COPY next to [BBCode (message boards & forums)]
10)Go to the post you want to put the image in, either right click and select paste or hit [Ctrl + V]
11) Save your post and you're done.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots

jimlj
08-24-2018, 08:01 PM
We will try again.
https://i.imgur.com/PWv7clJ.jpg
Looks like it is side ways but I think it will work.
P.S. Thanks Grmps

lightman
08-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Cartridges of the world gives cartridge dimensions in a table with all the critical measurements, so you can check your measurements by the table and help figure out which it might be easily.

This is what I do. I found a web site with a dimension chart about like the ones in " Cartridges of the World" thats easier to look at. I'll take a few measurements and start searching. When I think I have it id'd I'll look up the picture. Some of the metric cartridges can take a while to id.

I love looking through those boxes of odd stuff that every reloaded seems to have!

Bazoo
08-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Lightman, would you like to share the link to that website, sounds pretty interesting.

lightman
08-26-2018, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure how to post a link but google WWW.Cartridge-Corner.com. The 3rd box down on the left is Headstamp/cartridge info and resources. Then you can scroll down through the different categories. Hope this helps, I really like using it.

salpal48
08-26-2018, 10:57 PM
Pin Fire look to Be 12 MM long. There were 2 types
Long = rifle
Short = revolver
#2 Could be 44 American
a close up would help
No headstamp Possible American Cartridge Co

jimlj
08-27-2018, 05:28 PM
I just took some more measurements. I thought these were straight wall cases, they are not. The longer of the two center fire cases measures .456" just ahead of the rim, and tapers to .447" just before the roll crimp at the bullet. The bullet measures .422" or 10.7mm. The shorter of the two is tapered also, and at the bullet is about the same diameter as the long case at that length.
https://i.imgur.com/rQTWMGH.jpg

jimlj
09-22-2018, 01:42 PM
I just pulled the bullets from a few of the rounds. The longer cartridge has a 202 grain bullet with two lube groves, the shorter has a 200 grain bullet with 1 grove. The longer of the two has 18.2 grains of black powder. The shorter of the two I lost some of the powder as I pulled the bullet so I didn't weigh it. Looks like Boxer primers. The bullets measure about .422 diameter. (Kind of hard to tell with the dried lube and slight deforming) Any guesses?

Texas by God
10-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Italian Bodeo revolver cartridges? Or some Gasser round?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GONRA
10-24-2018, 05:52 PM
GONRA sez - get an El Cheapo Harbor Freight Micrometer - measure DIAMETERS.
(Remember, today's micrometers are for DIAMETERS. Electronic calipers are for LENGTHS!)

jimlj
10-25-2018, 06:18 PM
GONRA sez - get an El Cheapo Harbor Freight Micrometer - measure DIAMETERS.
(Remember, today's micrometers are for DIAMETERS. Electronic calipers are for LENGTHS!)
I've a had a set of good quality micrometer's (up to 4") for 30 years. I bought an el cheapo electronic caliper several years ago. The problem is not the tool, it's the dude running the tool.