PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for a visa card

abunaitoo
08-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Still looking for a gun friendly visa card.
I dumped the NRA card after the company firstbankcard cut them off.
I've been using my costco citi card, but want to stop using it also.
They started all this anti-gun bank mess.
Checked on-line and didn't find anything.
NRA has not returned my email about this.
Suggestions???

mattw
08-17-2018, 03:08 PM
I use the card issued by my local credit union, no problems so far. For small gun related stuff and larger stuff if I trust the seller I use the same card linked to paypal as the source.

sundog
08-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Are you (or can you qualify for) a USAA member?

abunaitoo
08-17-2018, 03:48 PM
I went to our credit union to see who they get their card from.
fristbankcard:twisted:
Even my checking account bank is with
firstbankcard:twisted:
USAA, probably not. My father was in the Army during the Korean war, but didn't stay in.
Most banks, credit unions, savings and loans, get their credit cards through a parent company.
When I asked, they didn't even know who was their parent company.
It would surprise a lots of people to know that their card comes from firstbankcard or citi.

Omega
08-17-2018, 03:55 PM
I went to our credit union to see who they get their card from.
fristbankcard:twisted:
Even my checking account bank is with
firstbankcard:twisted:
USAA, probably not. My father was in the Army during the Korean war, but didn't stay in.
Most banks, credit unions, savings and loans, get their credit cards through a parent company.
When I asked, they didn't even know who was their parent company.
It would surprise a lots of people to know that their card comes from firstbankcard or citi.That makes your Dad a Vet, you should qualify for USAA. Give them a call

woodbutcher
08-17-2018, 04:57 PM
:-D My Father was a WW1 vet.Served overseas.Would that qualify me for USAA?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Tripplebeards
08-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Cabelas visa. Points back in cash. I have earned at 64 gun safe, a POF p415, a garmin, a RAR, a nano, a RCBS charge lite scale , and a few other firearms through the years all paid for by points

Hossfly
08-17-2018, 05:36 PM
We use Sams club card, points, money back around Christmas time, helps with gifts. Bout $800.

abunaitoo
08-18-2018, 04:24 AM
Does Cabalas give cash back, or is it only discount merchandise???

atlas366
08-18-2018, 08:49 PM

You can use your points for Cabela's purchases only, unless there is a backdoor to unload them for cash that I don't know about.

blpenn66502
08-18-2018, 10:45 PM
First Bankcard is based out of that Omaha, NE, not New York so that is a plus. Believe First Bankcard are the ones that also used to service Cabela's credit card, however, with the BassPro takeover, Capital One fully takes over Cabela's credit card accounts in October and if you call them now, it is someone from Capital One that answers.
USAA, meh, been a member for over 35 years, but they aren't what they used to be and they have doubled down on advertising with the NFL if that matters to you.
I've been switching my banking to FedPen, their Visa is with First Bankcard, and if you maintain a $500 checking account their credit card pays 2% rewards. Membership doesn't require military service and there are a large number of affiliated companies that get you in.

abunaitoo
08-18-2018, 11:01 PM
firstbankcard is the one's who dumped the NRA.
I'll never got with then again.
citi and firstbankcard seem to be the biggest visa card around.
Maybe I'll look int mastercard.

Fishman
08-18-2018, 11:21 PM
Debit card with your local account. Gives same protection as credit card. For extra protection make it a separate account from your main checking and only put small amounts of money in it for planned purchases.

Did the credit card thing for my whole life until ten years ago. Cut them all up and I am so much happier and have a lot more money. They suck.

jonp
08-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Sam's Club, Pentagon Federal Credit Union(Penn Fed), Local Credit Union. I no longer use a bank for anything, I have all of my accounts with Credit Unions and am very satisfied.

Don't worry about the interest rate if you pay it off every month. Sam's Club will automatically give you point's using it and 5% off gas at any gas station.

jonp
08-19-2018, 06:31 AM

My wife's gives points back for use in the store. I don't have one. She thinks it says "cash back" but has never used it for anything other than stuff at Cabelas.

jules
08-19-2018, 06:43 AM
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-wise/

Shawlerbrook
08-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Used the Cabelas card for years. Now that Bass Pro bought them they are issued by Capital One. Merchandise at Cabelas only, but I hope they would also allow Bass Pro.

Beau Cassidy
08-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Will Cabelas be changing their points any when BPS takes over in October? Specifically- I dont want my points/dollar value to just disappear which I am very concerned will happen. I am trying to save up my points to buy some hunting equipment.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Will Cabelas be changing their points any when BPS takes over in October? Specifically- I dont want my points/dollar value to just disappear which I am very concerned will happen. I am trying to save up my points to buy some hunting equipment.

I quit using my Cabela's card for just this reason...I don't trust BPS. I spent all my "points" about 6 months ago.
I now use Capital One Amazon visa, due to them offering the best "rewards" that I could find.

Still looking for a gun friendly visa card.
I dumped the NRA card after the company firstbankcard cut them off.
I've been using my costco citi card, but want to stop using it also.
They started all this anti-gun bank mess.
Checked on-line and didn't find anything.
NRA has not returned my email about this.
Suggestions???
While I am not a fan of Wells Fargo (for banking reasons, not 2A reasons)
They seem to be the one bank the anti-gunners hate, so maybe they are the most 2A friendly?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-07/nra-s-banker-wells-fargo-climbs-to-top-of-gunmaker-debt-market

Wells Fargo Is the Go-To Bank for Gunmakers and the NRA
By Shahien Nasiripour , Polly Mosendz , and Brandon Kochkodin
March 7, 2018,

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/20/604236275/national-teachers-union-cuts-ties-with-wells-fargo-over-banks-ties-to-nra-guns

National Teachers Union Cuts Ties With Wells Fargo Over Bank's Ties To NRA, Guns
April 20, 2018

jonp
08-19-2018, 05:24 PM
We had a whole lot of problems with Wells Fargo and not just their anti-gun stance. I wouldn't go near a mega monster bank for any love of money

jules
08-20-2018, 12:25 PM
We had a whole lot of problems with Wells Fargo and not just their anti-gun stance. I wouldn't go near a mega monster bank for any love of money
I have been doing checking and banking with Wells Fargo for well over 10 years and have never had a problem.

DerekP Houston
08-20-2018, 12:28 PM

No to the cash back, just store credit. I've been using them for awhile for business trips as I might as well get something I like ;). The points also work at Bass Pro now that they've merged but the prices are still higher than just going to academy.

I believe per my last statement, Capital one is taking over the cabelas card.

RogerDat
08-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Debit card with your local account. Gives same protection as credit card. For extra protection make it a separate account from your main checking and only put small amounts of money in it for planned purchases.

Did the credit card thing for my whole life until ten years ago. Cut them all up and I am so much happier and have a lot more money. They suck. I'm not to the point of cutting the CC up but I do the debit card with account limited to funds for online purchases. Allows me in effect to pay "cash" for online purchases instead of putting them on CC where they cost interest if I forget or miscalculate how much it will take to pay off this months purchases. Or major annoyance I pay right away and it gets credited as monthly payment! Use Credit Union for savings & loan plus CC and like them way better than the bank. But having bank branch in our village makes them more convenient for some things my wife does.

El Bibliotecario
08-21-2018, 01:23 PM
:-D My Father was a WW1 vet.Served overseas.Would that qualify me for USAA?

When USAA was founded in 1922 membership was limited to commissioned officers. I sense that today anyone who ever walked past the gate of an army post is eligible. My son recently got a policy with them and he never served a day in his life.

I currently have a USAA checking account, which I think is the caterpiller's spats. No mimimum balance, free checks, free online transfer of funds, including paying bills. I don't have a USAA credit card but their banking and insurance customer service is significantly better than most businesses with whom I have dealt.

El Bibliotecario
08-21-2018, 01:30 PM
I have been doing checking and banking with Wells Fargo for well over 10 years and have never had a problem.

I had a checking account with Wells Fargo for well over ten years and got tired of maintaining a $1500 minimum balance to avoid service charges. I am far happier with my current USAA checking account. Since the latter is an online bank, I kept my Wells Fargo savings account. I don't care for the $300 minimum balance or the service charge for over six withdrawls per month, but it is convenient for quickly obtaining cash. I think they have ATM machines but there are Wells Fargo branches all over the west, and I enjoy asking the tellers if they have opened any new accounts for me lately without my knowledge.

higgins
08-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Beginning in October, the Cabela's VISA card will transition to a Capitol one-issued Mastercard. That's not internet rumor; they sent me a letter to that effect.

If you already hold a Cabela's card the fate of your points, where and how you can spend them, etc., has already been explained in letters you've received (unless you didn't receive it for some reason).

Tripplebeards
08-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Beginning in October, the Cabela's VISA card will transition to a Capitol one-issued Mastercard. That's not internet rumor; they sent me a letter to that effect.

If you already hold a Cabela's card the fate of your points, where and how you can spend them, etc., has already been explained in letters you've received (unless you didn't receive it for some reason).

I received the letter a few weeks ago. I skimmed the letter . Sounds like the only thing different is that the card will be changed from visa to a MasterCard. The point system and terms and conditions are the same.

The good part is they now price match. They matched midways internet price the other day on a rcbs charge lite scale and I was able to use my cabelas points at bass pro for the purchase. In years past when I asked them if they price matched I was told no which has always been half the battle. I’d always wait for a coupon or when it’s on sale otherwise they are always higher priced on just about everything than everyone else.

woodbutcher
08-22-2018, 09:46 AM
:-D Hi EB.Thanks for your reply.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo