PDA

View Full Version : Mold or Mould

GregLaROCHE
08-17-2018, 07:42 AM
Do we cast our boolits in molds or moulds? I have seen both spellings and can’t remember, if I ever knew, what was correct. It’s not an easy question.

Some dictionaries say we cast we cast in moulds and find mold on old bread. Others say both are correct. Lee Precision uses “mold” and Lyman uses “mould”

Here’s an explanation I found.

https://writingexplained.org/mold-vs-mould-difference

Hope this will be of interest to someone.

Rcmaveric
08-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Difference between proper English the American English. Same principle for color vs colour and Aluminium vs aluminum.

TCFAN
08-17-2018, 09:24 AM
I like mold....It is quicker to type out than mould..

glockfan
08-17-2018, 09:29 AM
i recently bought another mold.

marlin39a
08-17-2018, 10:44 AM
When bored, I often search eBay, first by mold, then by mould. I do get different hits this way.

Harter66
08-17-2018, 05:44 PM
I was taught mold grows on bread and mould was a form to hold a liquid to cool or dry to a solid form . So an ice try is a mould .

Krag1902
08-17-2018, 08:51 PM
It used to be mold. E.C. Crossman, famed writer of the WW 1 era, once wrote that "Life is too short to spell it with a "u" each time."

Hossfly
08-17-2018, 09:01 PM
I think penicillin was first made from bread mold.

earlmck
08-18-2018, 02:37 AM
I'm flexible. When posting here I talk about "boolits" and "molds". Anyplace else I talk about "bullets" and "moulds". If you don't speak the language the natives won't understand you.

oldred
08-18-2018, 07:04 AM
How about the very erroneous use of "smelting"? Unless we are extracting lead from raw ore we are simply "melting" lead for casting, we are NOT smelting anything!

sureYnot
08-18-2018, 07:28 AM
How about the very erroneous use of "smelting"? Unless we are extracting lead from raw ore we are simply "melting" lead for casting, we are NOT smelting anything!A backstop at the range being "the place or environment in which a thing (range scrap, in this case) came to be"(it wasn't range scrap before it got there), that makes it "a native metal, that can be mined at a profit"... which is the definition of "ore". As we are melting it "in order to separate the metal contained", we are, by definition, smelting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey
08-18-2018, 08:18 AM
A backstop at the range being "the place or environment in which a thing (range scrap, in this case) came to be"(it wasn't range scrap before it got there), that makes it "a native metal, that can be mined at a profit"... which is the definition of "ore". As we are melting it "in order to separate the metal contained", we are, by definition, smelting.

Agree with sureYnot. When we take our clean ingots and MELT them to make our boolits, that is a different process than when we take scrap (rich ore), heat to liquefaction point, add a carbon source to initiate an oxidation / reduction reaction, pour the resulting alloy into ingot moulds, and responsibly dispose of the dross. Now if I may be excused to dispose of this moldy bread.

oldred
08-18-2018, 09:08 AM
A backstop at the range being "the place or environment in which a thing (range scrap, in this case) came to be"(it wasn't range scrap before it got there), that makes it "a native metal, that can be mined at a profit"... which is the definition of "ore". As we are melting it "in order to separate the metal contained", we are, by definition, smelting.

No by definition we are NOT smelting range lead, we are simply recovering already extracted (from ore) lead that has already been refined. Recovering range lead is simply recovering already refined lead by separating the dirt stuck to it and is no more smelting than separating wheel weights from the gunk in the bucket. Besides that recovering range scrap is but a tiny part of it, we see "smelting wheel weights", etc all the time!

Another one is some folks calling Sabots Sa-Bots instead of Say-Bo, but then that's speech and not written text. When I hear someone say Sa-Bot I can't help but think do they say they buy building materials at the Home De-Pot?

oldred
08-18-2018, 09:11 AM
Agree with sureYnot. When we take our clean ingots and MELT them to make our boolits, that is a different process than when we take scrap (rich ore), heat to liquefaction point, add a carbon source to initiate an oxidation / reduction reaction, pour the resulting alloy into ingot moulds, and responsibly dispose of the dross. Now if I may be excused to dispose of this moldy bread.

Range lead is in no way "ore", not even close.

Tenbender
08-18-2018, 09:13 AM
I have 15 or 20 mold's I need to sell ?

oldred
08-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Lol (at me), when writing about moulds/molds in the past at least twice I spelled it "Mole"! Of course I knew better but both times I found it only after rereading a post later, probably did it even more than that and just never noticed it.

I am not really sure which is correct Mold or Mould but spell check flags "Mould" however probably either would be correct.

Texas by God
08-18-2018, 09:31 AM
RCBS says mould on the box so I guess that one is a mould.

Bigslug
08-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Some dictionaries say we cast we cast in moulds and find mold on old bread. Others say both are correct. Lee Precision uses “mold” and Lyman uses “mould” .

The general consensus around here is that a Lyman "mould" is almost always dimensionally incorrect, so it stands to reason that their spelling would be no different.

GregLaROCHE
08-18-2018, 11:36 AM
No by definition we are NOT smelting range lead, we are simply recovering already extracted (from ore) lead that has already been refined. Recovering range lead is simply recovering already refined lead by separating the dirt stuck to it and is no more smelting than separating wheel weights from the gunk in the bucket. Besides that recovering range scrap is but a tiny part of it, we see "smelting wheel weights", etc all the time!

Another one is some folks calling Sabots Sa-Bots instead of Say-Bo, but then that's speech and not written text. When I hear someone say Sa-Bot I can't help but think do they say they buy building materials at the Home De-Pot?

Sabots are woulden shoes people used to wear in old Europe. Maybe here too. How did it become part of a shotgun slug?

GregLaROCHE
08-18-2018, 11:40 AM
The general consensus around here is that a Lyman "mould" is almost always dimensionally incorrect, so it stands to reason that their spelling would be no different.

Maybe that’s why Lee molds are often off a bit, because they call theirs molds.

sureYnot
08-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Range lead is in no way "ore", not even close.By the strict definition of "ore", it is. Did anybody look up any definitions besides me?

oldred
08-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Smelting is to extract metals that occur naturally and are raw or unrefined, digging refined lead out of a dirt embankment where it left from previous use and did not occur naturally is not mining and that refined lead is in no way considered ore! Calling reclaimed previously refined scrap lead "ore" makes no more sense than claiming dirty wheel weights are "ore". The fact is we do NOT do smelting at all unless we are going out and finding a naturally occurring deposit of raw ore and separate it from from the surrounding minerals where it naturally formed.

LarryLee
08-18-2018, 01:23 PM
By the way, is lead grey or gray?

oldred
08-18-2018, 02:25 PM
It depends I suppose, gray seems to be the accepted spelling here in the U.S but folks in other countries seem to prefer grey (or is it the other way around) ???????

sureYnot
08-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Smelting is to extract metals that occur naturally and are raw or unrefined, digging refined lead out of a dirt embankment where it left from previous use and did not occur naturally is not mining and that refined lead is in no way considered ore! Calling reclaimed previously refined scrap lead "ore" makes no more sense than claiming dirty wheel weights are "ore". The fact is we do NOT do smelting at all unless we are going out and finding a naturally occurring deposit of raw ore and separate it from from the surrounding minerals where it naturally formed.Well, since you said it twice, and didn't waver in your conviction, you must be right and the folks over at dictionary.com must not know much about definitions and such. Lol

oldred
08-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Well, since you said it twice, and didn't waver in your conviction, you must be right and the folks over at dictionary.com must not know much about definitions and such. Lol

And no matter how many times you repeat nonsense to back up nonsense it's still nonsense!

Ok just for giggles I did look up the definition of "smelting" and everything that came up, or at least the first 5 or 6 definitions which was far enough, says to extract from ore, that's ORE not range scrap!

I might suggest you look up lead ore since you can't seem to tell the difference between previously refined scrap lead that has already been refined from it's naturally occurring state.

sureYnot
08-18-2018, 06:52 PM
You obviously didn't look up the definition of "ore". Before my post, I looked up "ore", "mining", and "native"... To name a few. Scream all you want about how you were raised to believe... That won't change the definition.

oldred
08-18-2018, 10:23 PM
You obviously didn't look up the definition of "ore". Before my post, I looked up "ore", "mining", and "native"... To name a few. Scream all you want about how you were raised to believe... That won't change the definition.

You may have looked up these things but did you really understand what you were reading?

Smelting, from your own source Dictionary.com,

Smelting

verb (used with object)

to fuse or melt (ore) in order to separate the metal contained.
to obtain or refine (metal) in this way.

That's ORE, not recovered scrap, and the parenthesis highlight of ORE in their quote is theirs not mine.

Ok your source says ore, so let's look at the definition of ore, again your source Dictionary.com,

ore
[awr, ohr]
See more synonyms for ore on Thesaurus.com
noun

a metal-bearing mineral or rock, or a native metal, that can be mined at a profit.
a mineral or natural product serving as a source of some nonmetallic substance, as sulfur.

Is range scrap a mineral bearing rock? Is it in any way a "natural product" of that dirt berm where range lead is found?

Is it a native metal maybe,

A native metal is any metal that is found in its metallic form, either pure or alloyed, IN NATURE[1] Metals that can be found as native deposits singly or in alloys

Again is range scrap in any way a natural or native deposit in that range berm? Is that what you're trying to say?

Wikipedia not reliable? how about the next one (or any number of other info sites, I just looked at the first ones I came to when I Googled each definition because they all say the same thing),

Introduction

Native metal is the uncombined form of metal THAT OCCURS IN NATURE. It is the pure, metallic form that does not occur in combination with other elements. Native metals are either found as native deposits singly or as alloys

Bullet lead in a dirt berm is not a native substance (occurring naturally) by any stretch.

Ok mining, Dictionary.com, again your source defines mining as,

mining
[mahy-ning]
See more synonyms for mining on Thesaurus.com
noun

the act, process, or industry of extracting ores, coal, etc., from mines.
the laying of explosive mines

There's that pesky ore again, not one single definition says anything about recovery of previously mined and refined scrap metals which range lead is.

BTW, you can resort to sarcasm and the childish tactic of pretending to laugh down someone Else's point as you did in post #25 and try to make me look desperate by accusing me of screaming, for no obvious reason, but these are only childish tactics that reflect on you.

GregLaROCHE
08-19-2018, 04:30 AM
I get my range scrap from an indoor range with steel backstop and concrete floors. I’m just melting to get the jacket metal out and reform the many small fragments into ingots. The paper from targets mixed in works great as a flux. Certainly can’t call that smelting.

bbogue1
08-19-2018, 06:21 AM
Consider this: Is a boolit cast from a mold slightly smaller than a bullet cast with a mould?[smilie=1:

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 06:47 AM
Native: adjective

being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being.

Since nobody is placing range scrap there, it is native. People are shooting bullets, which "become" range scrap over time (measured in ms, but still "comes into being" within the berm).

The definition of ore doesn't say it has to be a rock. "Or native metal". It doesn't say anything about having to occur naturally, either.

Have to admit, I was in agreement with you until this came up and I looked up the words.

oldred
08-19-2018, 06:50 AM
I get my range scrap from an indoor range with steel backstop and concrete floors. I’m just melting to get the jacket metal out and reform the many small fragments into ingots. The paper from targets mixed in works great as a flux. Certainly can’t call that smelting.

Exactly and taking it from a dirt berm is no different, shooting a chunk of lead into the ground does not turn it into ore again.

A metal, lead or anything thing else, can only "Smelted" ONCE and that's when it's dug from the Earth in it's naturally occurring form as an ore and separated from the mineral or rock it's contained in. After that it matters not what we do with it, be it wheel weights, lead sinkers or range scrap even from a dirt berm it's going to be forevermore just scrap metal that can be re-melted/recycled into the same object or something else but it will NEVER EVER be ORE again that would then require "re" Smelting in order to be recast, there is just no such thing as "re-smelting" lead bullets.

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 07:02 AM
Those darned liars at dictionary.com....

Jeffrey
08-19-2018, 07:19 AM
If a person of American Indian ancestry shoots a boolit into a berm, could that be considered a native deposit?:kidding:

oldred
08-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Native: adjective

being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being.

Since nobody is placing range scrap there, it is native. People are shooting bullets, which "become" range scrap over time (measured in ms, but still "comes into being" within the berm).

The definition of ore doesn't say it has to be a rock. "Or native metal". It doesn't say anything about having to occur naturally, either.

Have to admit, I was in agreement with you until this came up and I looked up the words.

What in the world are you talking about? Are you seriously trying to say that the act of shooting lead into a dirt berm somehow makes it "native" or natural?

Since nobody is placing range scrap there, it is native

Nobody is placing the range scrap there, ?????? People shooting lead into a berm is not placing it there, are you serious????? Of course shooting lead into the dirt is placing it there or are you now going to try and argue the definition of "placing"??????

People are shooting bullets, which "become" range scrap over time (measured in ms, but still "comes into being" within the berm)

Wow now you are talking fantasy! :roll:

Time has absolutely nothing to do with it, it becomes range scrap the instant it's shot into the dirt but that doesn't make it in any way "naturally occurring" or into ore again anyway!

The definition of ore doesn't say it has to be a rock. "Or native metal". It doesn't say anything about having to occur naturally, either

Again you are making no sense at all, one common and quite plain definition of ore and any number of sources will say the same,

Ore

ôr/
noun
noun: ore; plural noun: ores

a NATURALLY OCCURRING solid material from which a metal or valuable mineral can be profitably extracted

The act of placing lead into a dirt berm by shooting it into the dirt is in no way naturally occurring no matter how badly you continue to misinterpret what you read!

oldred
08-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Those darned liars at dictionary.com....

Liars at the Dictionary or someone who simply can't comprehend what you read?

oldred
08-19-2018, 07:36 AM
If a person of American Indian ancestry shoots a boolit into a berm, could that be considered a native deposit?:kidding:

Lol, funny you would say that since I am Native American!

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Comprehension is fine. Some folks are having a little difficulty with acceptance, though. I understand. Went through the same thing when they changed the definition of "literally" to also literally mean "not literally". It's hard to adjust life long beliefs in the face of new evidence.

oldred
08-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Some folks are having a little difficulty with acceptance, though.

Well that you surely do!!

It's hard to adjust life long beliefs in the face of new evidence

You mean "evidence" such as your description of how lead somehow (in MS no less!) becomes naturally occurring over time after it has been shot into a berm, you mean that kind of "evidence"?

Honestly go back and read some of the things you have been saying and try and imiagine how it would sound to you if it were coming from someone else, seriously dude I have seen people try and twist facts to make a point but you take the cake!

GONRA
08-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Traditional Shotgun News Screwup: muzzle BREAK instead of (correct) muzzle BRAKE drives GONRA nuts.

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Well that you surely do!!

You mean "evidence" such as your description of how lead somehow (in MS no less!) becomes naturally occurring over time after it has been shot into a berm, you mean that kind of "evidence"?

Honestly go back and read some of the things you have been saying and try and imiagine how it would sound to you if it were coming from someone else, seriously dude I have seen people try and twist facts to make a point but you take the cake!The definition of ore does not state that it must be "naturally occurring". Only that it must be "native" and can be "mined at a profit".

oldred
08-19-2018, 09:07 AM
The definition of ore does not state that it must be "naturally occurring". Only that it must be "native" and can be "mined at a profit"

Two things wrong here, first it does say,

Ore

ôr/
noun

a NATURALLY OCCURRING solid material from which a metal or valuable mineral can be profitably extracted

The same definition found in dozens of other sources, is there some part of "NATURALLY OCCURRING" you don't understand?

And second you can't seem to grasp the fact that placing lead into a dirt berm by shooting it there is placing a foreign substance into an area where it did not exist naturally. It was PLACED there by shooting it into the ground and no amount of your fact twisting will make it in any way "native" or "naturally occurring", no matter how long it stays there it is and always will be previously mined and refined scrap metal that can never be ore again-NEVER!

Seriously man I mean no disrespect but trying to claim that shooting lead bullets into the ground somehow makes that lead naturally occurring ore that must be "re" smelted to be recast into bullets is nonsense of the highest order, to put it bluntly it's just being plain old fashioned silly. Honestly you are really scrapping the bottom here, go back and look at some of the absurd claims you are making, take a good look at how that might sound to you if it were coming from someone else.

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 09:21 AM
https://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/Ore

Says "native", not "naturally occurring". But, I'm sure, if you check enough sources, you'll find some to back you up.

oldred
08-19-2018, 09:56 AM
https://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/Ore

Says "native", not "naturally occurring". But, I'm sure, if you check enough sources, you'll find some to back you up

Dozens of definitions say this,

Ore

ôr/
noun

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ore

and you cherry pick one that doesn't include the actual word Natural and it somehow negates the obvious meaning? Are you kidding? Native metal IS naturally occurring metal and just calling it "native" automatically denotes it is "naturally occurring"!

(and besides lead is not a true "native" metal anyway, look it up!)

Besides that just plain common sense would indicate that shooting lead bullets into dirt is placing that lead there as a foreign substance that obviously did not exist there before! Maybe you should look up "foreign substance" since you can't seem to grasp the concept?

SERIOUSLY, go back and take a hard look at the nonsense you keep spouting and look at how ridiculous it sounds.

Give it up man, nothing you can say will convince anyone that shooting lead bullets into the dirt is going to somehow turn that lead into natural/native/whatever ore again. Lead scrap in a dirt berm is no different than lead scrap in a bucket, are you "mining ore" when you dig scrap out of bucket? Shooting a foreign substance into dirt where that substance did not exist prior will not and can not ever be considered anything but a contaminant of that area.

Look up contaminants and let's see how you try and spin that. :roll:

oldred
08-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Ok this is getting out of hand so let's just call that black sheep white and pretend that range scrap shot into a berm somehow magically becomes a "native/natural/whatever" ore that must be mined and "re"-smelted before being recast into something usable again. I honestly don't believe anyone with half an ounce of common sense could think that range scrap reverts back to it's ore state (in milliseconds no less!) but that is exactly the obvious contention here and apparently no amount of facts or common sense will change that contention.

Shooting lead into a dirt berm will, in MS (milliseconds) transform that lead into a "native" ore that must be mined, that's exactly what was clearly being argued. Also ore does not have to occur in the Earth naturally (much to the surprise of every geologist in the world!) and apparently it can be made by simply shooting lead into a dirt berm as has been so clearly argued here.

Of course those statements are obviously absurd but that is what has been argued, in hindsight the whole idea that lead bullets can somehow be transformed into minable (is that a word???) ore is just so ridiculous it doesn't even bear discussion so I apologize for even getting involved in this silly non-sense.

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 12:17 PM
The definition of "native" does not say "naturally occurring".

oldred
08-19-2018, 12:44 PM
The definition of "native" does not say "naturally occurring"

I said NATIVE automatically denotes "naturally occurring", and it does in this case.

Does it not mean anything to you that you had to skip over and ignore so many dictionary definitions that clearly state "naturally occurring" to find one that simply didn't specifically include the word "naturally" as if that somehow means the rest of them are wrong? This has gone way beyond dictionary definitions and you are now grasping at straws and playing silly word games.

By now after all the searching you have obviously done you should ask yourself why it is you had to ignore definitions (obviously you did as dozens came up in my search as I'm certain thay had to in yours also) to come up with such things as the odd one that simply didn't specifically mention the word "naturally" when dozens of others did? (as if that changed anything anyway)

Can't you see the absurdity of insisting that shooting lead into a dirt berm somehow turns it into ore -native, natural or otherwise? How about you look up "contaminants", "foreign substances", etc since you seem to want to refer to dictionary definitions? This is no longer about definitions but simple common sense and insisting that lead bullets shot into a dirt berm somehow becomes ore, a native element to the area, or anything else besides being a contaminate to that area where it did not exist before is totally devoid of common sense, with each reply you make you are only making it look worse.

Come on man LOOK at what you are saying there!!!!!!

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 12:55 PM
I skipped nothing. Before I went looking, I was in 100% agreement with you. Thought it pretty crazy that, by strictest definition it actually is smelting. I think we should start writing letters to the dictionaries that are "wrong".

oldred
08-19-2018, 01:30 PM
I skipped nothing. Before I went looking, I was in 100% agreement with you. Thought it pretty crazy that, by strictest definition it actually is smelting. I think we should start writing letters to the dictionaries that are "wrong

In agreement with me? probably but you would never admit it even to yourself, Lol!

As far as skipping over definitions I am sure we use the same internet and a Google search showed a long list of definitions that CLEARLY say "Naturally occurring" while the link you provided was the only one I saw that didn't specifically use the word "natural", but again that doesn't mean anything anyway especially when the vast majority do use it. Or maybe that one is right and ALL the others wrong? :roll: Of course all of them are right and to insist that one leaving out one word in their definition means something different than what the vast majority of the others say would mean that some of them are wrong, but I think we both know better.

Again, this has gone way beyond definitions and silly word games and it's obvious you can't see how ridiculous what you have been saying is such as this little gem,

"Since nobody is placing range scrap there, it is native",

Wow, Really????? Depositing it in the soil by shooting is not placing it there????

and then there's this little dilly,

"People are shooting bullets, which "become" range scrap over time (measured in ms, but still "comes into being" within the berm)"

You honestly can't see absurdity in such statements as that? Of course it becomes range scrap! It becomes range scrap the instant it's shot into the berm and not "ORE", and it did not just "come into being within the berm" it was "PLACED" there by shooting it into the dirt!

And no by the strictest definition it is NOT Smelting in any way! It is simply recycling range lead, you might try looking up "recycling" sometime. The lead contained in range scrap has already been smelted and refined once so now it is and always will be just simply lead, it will never be ore again so there is no such thing as having to "re" smelt it! By the strictest definition it is simply recovering and recycling range lead and nothing more, to continue to insist that shooting lead into a dirt berm transforms that lead into some kind of ore, any kind of ore, is just totally devoid of common sense and that's putting it politely.

Once more, go back and look at what you have been saying, from trying to say that lead was somehow not actually "placed" in the berm when shot into it so it somehow becomes "native" or in some other way becomes an ore to insisting that ore does not have to occur naturally (geologists are really going to be shocked when they learn that!).

Seriously look at what you are saying and ask yourself how that must look?

(besides you need to look up native metals, you might be surprised to see that lead is not a native metal anyway)

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 01:51 PM
It is absurd. It's also logical. Using a phone it was way easier to use the dictionary.com app than to use Google. I didn't pick and choose or go looking for a source that agreed with me. In fact, what I found was not what I expected. Only reason I even looked at Webster is because you cited it. By strictest logic and definition, it can be referred to as smelting. Kinda like that whole "literally" thing. Just because I don't like it, and think it's dumb, doesn't make it untrue.

oldred
08-19-2018, 02:22 PM
By strictest logic and definition, it can be referred to as smelting. Kinda like that whole "literally" thing. Just because I don't like it, and think it's dumb, doesn't make it untrue.

By the strictest definition or any other LOGICAL definition it is NOT in any way "Smelting", it is by the strictest definition "Recycling"!

It would have to be an ore to be "smelted" but as an already refined metal it is no longer an ore by any definition and is to be "recycled",

or maybe it somehow became an ore when it "came into being in the berm". That's a really good one, "came into being in the berm" and was not placed there by anyone? That's what you said, along with several other equally nonsensical statements and now you want to start using the word LOGICAL????? :roll:

The bottom line is "Smelting" is the term used for refining raw ore into a pure metal or alloy and a metal can only be smelted ONCE, that is ONLY ONE TIME, after it has first been smelted into that pure metal or alloy that metal or alloy can never ever again become ore and thus is never ever again "Smelted"! It is and forever will be simply the pure metal or alloy that was produced by the smelting process and after that it becomes a recyclable product that will never again be "mined" or "smelted"! You can continue to insist the total nonsense and silly word games to make it seem, in your view anyway, like a refined metal can somehow be returned to an ore (it can NOT) and thus require "re" smelting to again turn it into the metal or alloy it was -that is utter nonsense and we both know it so what is your real point here?

"Smelting" is the process by which a pure metal or alloy is extracted from raw ore, after it is extracted ONCE, and only from RAW ORE, it becomes simply a pure metal or alloy that can then be simply MELTED and reused for another purpose but it will NEVER require smelting again, it really is as simple as that.

Seriously, LOOK at some of the things you have been saying and you think they are LOGICAL???

BrassMagnet
08-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Now for my "two bits" worth and I didn't waste time reading this thread!

"Naturally Occuring"
If we wait long enough, say a few thousand or maybe just a few hundred years, prospectors may find our impact berms and be really impressed! Just imagine all of the wild theories they will come up with to describe the events that created their new found ore deposits. Imagine the theories to predict where more deposits might be found.
While you are imagining all of that, you won't be pointlessly arguing a whole lot about not much of anything.

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 03:06 PM
I think what I'll do is get enough people to start smelting range ore that they literally have to change the definition so all dictionaries are the same....literally.

oldred
08-19-2018, 03:24 PM
I think what I'll do is get enough people to start smelting range ore that they literally have to change the definition so all dictionaries are the same....literally.

If you can get enough people to change a definition that would do it then maybe you could get people to start "smelting" range "ore" but until then range "ORE" doesn't even exist and thus "Smelting" it is just plain nonsense, but then I think we have both known that all along.

oldred
08-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Now for my "two bits" worth and I didn't waste time reading this thread!

"Naturally Occuring"
If we wait long enough, say a few thousand or maybe just a few hundred years, prospectors may find our impact berms and be really impressed! Just imagine all of the wild theories they will come up with to describe the events that created their new found ore deposits. Imagine the theories to predict where more deposits might be found.
While you are imagining all of that, you won't be pointlessly arguing a whole lot about not much of anything.

Be impressed? I doubt it, if the libbies continue to get their way it will be roped off as a deadly hazardous waste area containing projectiles from the evil firearms that went around shooting people before people stopped the wicked things! After all firearms have a diabolical mind of their own and will shoot you if they get the chance, then that poisonous lead would be apt to cause all sorts of human maladies, from decreased mental capacity to causing babies to be born nekid, they will know that lead is some nasty stuff! :twisted:

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 03:49 PM
If you can get enough people to change a definition that would do it then maybe you could get people to start "smelting" range "ore" but until then range "ORE" doesn't even exist and thus "Smelting" it is just plain nonsense, but then I think we have both known that all along.That's not how it works. People have to use the word and THEN the definition changes. So, happy smelting, everybody! Gonna go mine up some range ore after work.

Tatume
08-19-2018, 03:52 PM
If we wait long enough, say a few thousand or maybe just a few hundred years, prospectors may find our impact berms and be really impressed! Just imagine all of the wild theories they will come up with to describe the events that created their new found ore deposits.

Where I live we sometimes find huge piles of box turtle shells buried in the ground. Are they deposits of box turtle "ore?" No, they are middens deposited by the pre-Columbian native people. Children collected the turtles during the day, and they were prepared for meals.

There are oyster shell middens as well. Would those who discover them speculate that oysters had lived naturally as half-shell valves in gigantic piles?

I suspect that if archeologists discover large deposits of lead in the form of pellets with grooves impressed upon them, often deformed by apparent impacts, they will surmise that people made the deposits. They will then likely reason that the lead was formed into projectiles.

longbow
08-19-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm with oldred.

As boolit casters we do not "smelt" though many here use that term when melting their "raw" lead in the form of wheelweights, range scrap or whatever.

I have worked in and around the Teck Metals (formerly Cominco) lead smelter and refinery since 1981. At Teck lead concentrate is processed through a Kivcet furnace which replaced old wedge style blast furnaces that required sintering before the or went to the furnace. The Kivcet is a more modern furnace that eliminates the need for sintering and allows treatment of a wide variety of ores and residues.

The process is described here:

https://www.saimm.co.za/Conferences/FurnaceTapping/233-Rioux.pdf

Read through that then decide if you are truly "smelting" If your lead pot has coke injection and discharges lead at 850-950 degrees C then maybe you are smelting.

"Mining" your local gun range berm then melting the scrap lead and casting into ingots or boolits is not the same as reducing lead sulphides and oxides to extract crude lead bullion which is later refined into pure lead then alloyed with antimony and other elements to make pigs of bullet alloy. Call it what you want but it is not smelting by definition.

Longbow

GregLaROCHE
08-19-2018, 05:09 PM
I choose to call collecting range scrap recycling or recuperating. Then it can be melted down and cleaned up into ingots or maybe directly into boolits if wanted. In addition I think it becomes range scrap the moment it passes the target and not when it enters a burm. Like the range scrap I collect from my indoor range with a steel back stop. That makes the most sense to me.

Now if you want to carry this on more, what is it when they grind up old cars and then melt what is left?

Tatume
08-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Automobile ore.

sureYnot
08-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Automobile ore.Lol. I almost said that, but figured I'd done enough for today.

Tatume
08-19-2018, 06:11 PM
We might as well have some fun, huh?

Rokkit Syinss
08-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Difference between proper English the American English. Same principle for color vs colour and Aluminium vs aluminum.

Aluminum is the correct version according to science, only the Brits pervert the word. Aus four suupeurfluuous vouweuls weu Aumeuriucauns diud auwauy wiuth theum four au reuausoun. ;)

oldred
08-20-2018, 10:26 AM
That's not how it works. People have to use the word and THEN the definition changes

No that's not how it works, using the wrong word only makes you look ignorant to the facts and it would never change the definition, INSISTING on knowingly using the wrong word only makes you look dumb, your choice however.

sureYnot
08-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Do you mean that literally? Or literally?
No that's not how it works, using the wrong word only makes you look ignorant to the facts and it would never change the definition, INSISTING on knowingly using the wrong word only makes you look dumb, your choice however.

gwpercle
08-20-2018, 01:36 PM
And just why is this thread not a poll.....I would have liked to see how it tuns out.

I don't care what the book's say , to me Mold is green stuff that grows on old bread and cheese.

Mould is the thing I use to cast boolits with... The Lyman manual was my first instructions in 1967 and they were called moulds . NOE refers to them as moulds . So I'm a mould person.
Gary

oldred
08-20-2018, 02:48 PM
I too first think of green nasty looking stuff growing bread, etc when I see the word mold, mould however leaves no doubt as to what it is and I automatically picture,,,well a mould.

Has anyone else noticed that spell check flags "mould" as a misspelling?

brass410
08-20-2018, 03:16 PM
I'll just refer to mine as projectile forms, seems less complicated. I've always pondered the question after a few adult bevvy's is it " the dog in lead" or "the dog is in lead" (probably fatal) or the dog in leed (maybe not even here perhaps some where else overseas) So as you can see its not just mold mould or moulde its much more than that.

GregLaROCHE
08-20-2018, 05:14 PM
The most important thing is that we can communicate our ideas and thoughts. On this forum I think everyone is talking about boolit molds or moulds. What difference does it make. This is not a forum for bread bakers or cheese makers. We are boolit makers and that is what counts. Putting in or leaving out a “u” is far less important than putting in a little more tin or leaving it out.

I started this thread to be interesting, but never thought it would become so controversial. The most important thing is we all enjoy what we are doing and the boolit doesn’t know how to spell.

blackthorn
08-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Mold or Mould?? Yes it is! Both are correct! Matter of personal choice.