PDA

View Full Version : Midway

Battis
08-17-2018, 04:32 AM
For a long time I've been anti-Midway simply because they wouldn't ship any reloading components to MA - unprimed brass, for example, or loaded ammo. The MA Attorney General has put the fear of God into the larger companies if they do, even though it's totally legal to ship here. Well, Midway has a new policy - I uploaded a copy of my license to carry and I'm "good to go". They're prices and selection are good and they have other things I need - for example grips for a Colt 1908 .25 acp (and ammo).
Anyways, hats off to Midway.

Rcmaveric
08-17-2018, 06:53 AM
They are my preferred E-commerce store. That is were i get most of my reloading tools and gun parts.

Petrol & Powder
08-17-2018, 06:59 AM
I've been a MidwayUSA customer for years and they are a good company to deal with.

As for their past decision to limit their own sales to states that were friendly to them, how can you blame them? If you want to be angry with someone, direct that anger towards the MA Attorney's General's office that was hostile towards an enterprise.

NyFirefighter357
08-17-2018, 07:05 AM
Living in NY we have the same issue with some companies. States like NY,NJ,CT,MA have such convoluted & ever changing laws with exceptions and limitations it's easier to stop shipping to them until it's sorted out rather than fight a lawsuit & fine. It used to be pretty easy, outside NYC you could pretty much order anything but since the (un)Safe act with laws like magazine capacity of 7rnds then it be challenged and a regional judge striking it down and allowing 10rnd mags but the uncertainty that it held for the entire state. It provides a lot of confusion and until the law was changed to 10rnds mags OK (but can only have 7 in magazine unless at an NRA certified match or credentialed range) companies wouldn't ship magazines to NY. They also stopped shipping ammo to NY bacuse under the Safe act, you need to get a back ground check like buying a gun but the Feds wouldn't allow them to use the NICS so they tried to build their own which didn't work. Then there is the law about needing to have a pistol permit to buy "pistol" ammo. Well that doesn't work because now you can buy rifles in any pistol caliber. You can buy a sling shot in NY but you can't buy a wrist rocket. The restrictions are so ridiculous it's unfathomable. You can have an off the shelf 10/22, put a thumb hole stock on it it's now an "assault" rifle", you can have a stock Mini-14 remove the spring clip top forend stock and clip on the metal or plastic one with holes, now it's an "assault" rifle". In NY companies have to register with the state to sell ammo. In CT you need to get an "Ammunition Certificate”. "The fee (tax) for this certificate is $35. Each applicant will undergo a criminal background investigation in order to be issued this certificate. Your “ammunition certificate” must be renewed every five years. Just easier for companies to stop shipping items to those states.

nun2kute
08-17-2018, 08:19 AM
I like to shop around. But I like Midway also. Ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years, no problems.

hillbilly tom
08-17-2018, 08:37 AM
My only gripe with them is no more paper catalog. I like something to brouse through

Hickok
08-17-2018, 08:56 AM
My only gripe with them is no more paper catalog. I like something to brouse throughMe too. Always enjoyed reading through their catalogs.

When I was a kid, I nearly wore out the pages on the Herter's catalog.

TCFAN
08-17-2018, 09:12 AM
My one and only gripe with Midway is I have to pay sells tax on my orders.They still are my favorite place to buy gun related products. They are on the north end of the state and I am on the south end. Shipping is very fast to me.

trapper9260
08-17-2018, 09:32 AM
When I need something and do not want to go with my gunsmith they are the main ones I deal with.After the founder took back over of the place it is better then it was when someone else took over from him.

mattw
08-17-2018, 09:41 AM
I like Midway as well. But, they seem to be dropping a lot of the random stuff I really liked. They have dropped the wood reloading blocks, the little blue utility boxes and widened the range of cartridges for some of the 50 and 100 count boxes. So, the small end rounds do not fit well.

KenT7021
08-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Th wood reloading blocks are available from Brownells.I buy most reloading stuff from Graf's.If you have a C&R license they give dealers discount.

Kraschenbirn
08-17-2018, 09:55 AM
I've been a Midway customer for something over 30 years but I'm also a chronic bargain hunter so, lately, they've become more of a 'back-up'. If I need (or just have an itch for) something, I'll check Midway first to see if they have it then commence checking other suppliers for a better deal (ain't 'online shopping' wonderful?).

Bill

marlin39a
08-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Midway has been offering free shipping on orders over $99.00, at least once a week, for awhile. I keep my wish list ready, and take advantage of it when I can.

pete501
08-17-2018, 10:43 AM
I used to shop Medway years ago, remember the monthly catalog and free shipping? The front page had some bargains that I could never pass up. When they started charging for shipping I shopped Graf & sons. I don't do much shopping now because I simply don't have a need for much from anywhere.

Battis
08-17-2018, 10:51 AM
As for their past decision to limit their own sales to states that were friendly to them, how can you blame them? If you want to be angry with someone, direct that anger towards the MA Attorney's General's office that was hostile towards an enterprise.

Absolutely correct. The MASS AG is trying to make a name for herself, and the lefties keep voting her in. I'm stuck. Moving makes no sense.
What bugs me is that it's perfectly legal to ship to MA, but, I don't blame the big companies for not doing so. Smaller dealers will ship to MA, though some won't ship C&R guns to me.
Oh well, it turned out right.

abunaitoo
08-17-2018, 03:54 PM
I stopped buying from them over 10 years ago.
They started charging an extra $10 surcharge to us.
They shipped only usp to us.
Before that I would about $8000 a year.
Not much, but I guess they didn't want it.

gwpercle
08-17-2018, 05:56 PM
My only gripe with them is no more paper catalog. I like something to brouse through

It doesn't seem like that long ago when the paper catalog and mail orders were the only way to order things from them. First the Herter's catalog ...now Midway. If you loose access to a computer you can't buy a thing. I miss catalogs .

Petrol & Powder
08-17-2018, 06:32 PM
I stopped buying from them over 10 years ago.
They started charging an extra $10 surcharge to us.
They shipped only usp to us.
Before that I would about $8000 a year.
Not much, but I guess they didn't want it.

Seriously?

You live on an Island thousands of miles from everyone else. Unless it Is made in Hawaii it must be shipped to you by sea or air and you're gripping about a $10 surcharge?

You're the one that chose to live in paradise (2491 miles from Los Angeles)