PDA

View Full Version : There's just something special about revolvers

am44mag
08-15-2018, 02:45 AM
You know, I've shot a lot of guns over the years, but nothing really compares to a revolver to me. There's just something about them. They're beautiful, they're accurate, and they're special. The crisp, almost hair trigger when shot as a single action. The authoritative click of the hammer when you pull it back. The astonishing amount of power they can handle. It all adds together to create what I would consider a work of art. They have a life and a character all their own. Something modern cookie cutter polymer semi autos will never have. They're all more or less the same to me. I still like them, and enjoy shooting them, but at the end of the day my revolvers will be the guns I never sell.

Smiths are my favorites, but Ruger can't be beat for a rugged carry or backwoods gun. I even have an old Colt Army Special circa 1917 that still works beautifully. It had a hard life as a carry gun, but I was able to bring it back and make it a shooter. It saddens me that Colt doesn't make affordable revolvers like that anymore.

Here's my 3" Ruger SP101 .357 mag and my 6" S&W 629 .44 mag. I need to add a .41 mag to the mix to complete the Keith holy trio of magnums.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/H2hSl2D_xGvtt66A8ehPcDO59_-1J7lC0YFutH7j8TCIr5XTYOnNdBnFwaLiT0Rvs5VXtLaqWioNq EQ5wI_qjKEUw-HtczgRwxYA9qgu6hK6lnWp324_-aS0c38PLO2zgasTqIhLNQAdjPdavbujtIOkdBDmEVGQ6qLIKS8 ei8laxf5MqWsrtMorYOEZ4jAHKKcV0XrUeSTtmcUqu_vEOmCGk cjVf_geubArERlt0233w0TJ4dEl2Gc6eD-rX0IpaLfPeKqmtz34LBgouIrGbjELvfsMkh4bMoe6ferK37Spl m1B7wsg16U2_FlyBP3_CIbV33YMxJDrqn8GBQnDNljw8SwTeeo E02CfG0tDiBpe3NVVG3FzLE3yBVAZYjxLmBjtcPwCNkws_Kivs wjCr_b3JEYidMZPirg39BcA3T9ayxabr4gxbIi7Hzgvn9XLJIT cG1Hwm0KbNL-W0NiJcUFnrQWPBdlvIp1Y4DKI5URRcKa35bUGIrdSsVf6J20Bs 2nsg-qN7XSuV7T7fKrScaWcn63AwTV-lpAORhc3AjvZ4U3qWCYW6Z9nSRp1RYM4MkJWWqHGZ_pJb888KQ _vTl_SAgMCpuqgxaLubw0=w1677-h943-no

mattw
08-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Dude, I could not agree more. I cover 22lr and 32 H&R thru 45LC in S&W pre-locks and I really love shooting them all! I think my favorites are the 627, 657 3" & 5.5" and the 610's. The power contained by them is amazing, the mechanical smoothness and durability of them and the accuracy are all really good.

I shoot some semi-autos also, but love steel 1911's and Witnesses, I do love shooting the MegaStar in 10mm. I have never owned a glock, not likely I will. But, yes I never go to the range without at least 1 revolver, an old 38 special blued 4"!

Thundarstick
08-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Except for a couple of Ruger mklll every think else is a revolver. I carry a revolver, I shoot a revolver, and sometimes hunt with a revolver. Yep, I'm a revolver man also!

Wheelguns 1961
08-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Besides, I am too old to bend down and pickup the brass!

mattw
08-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Dude, I so feel your pain. I have 2 herniated disks and it really is tough. I have seen this wire egg shaped thing with a handle for picking up brass... have been giving it serious thought!

contender1
08-15-2018, 09:34 AM
The Op has in a short post,, said a lot.

Revolvers,, just seem to "fit" when you think of a handgun. Be it a DA or a SA,,, they are time proven to be a dependable work of art.
I know if I had to get rid of my guns,, my revolvers would be the last to go,, with the very last being my SA's.

RKJ
08-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Dude, I so feel your pain. I have 2 herniated disks and it really is tough. I have seen this wire egg shaped thing with a handle for picking up brass... have been giving it serious thought!

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I tried one of those nut pickers from Lowe's (it looks a lot like the brass picker that's advertised and much cheaper) but it didn't work very well. This was on a grassy area, cut pretty low. Of course you might have better luck than I did.

mattw
08-15-2018, 09:46 AM
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I tried one of those nut pickers from Lowe's (it looks a lot like the brass picker that's advertised and much cheaper) but it didn't work very well. This was on a grassy area, cut pretty low. Of course you might have better luck than I did.

I was afraid of that, I just want to pick up brass without pain. But, I have a feeling that nothing but me will pick up the little 32's.

marek313
08-15-2018, 10:29 AM
I havent been shooting as long as many here and i dont have that many handguns but I did manage to pick up Ruger GP100 Match Champion. I have couple striker fired 9s and a 45acp but me and my daughter really like that wheel gun. My favorite toy to play with when I watch TV. I think my Ruger needs a bigger brother so I have 45LC/44Mag on my mind now.

Drm50
08-15-2018, 10:29 AM
I have a lot of S&W revolvers, one Colt NS 45, 4 Ruger 3screw SAs and a dozen auto loaders all
Target Type except for a Walther PP my only gut buster. My first target grade gun was a K22 when
I was a kid. It doesn't make sense to me but it seems that I can shoot S&W revolvers better that
autos. I have had several Gold Cups and enhanced 1911s but I could outshoot them all with my
25-2 acp. It may be that the S&Ws are keepers and other stuff is just passing through and I don't
get enough trigger time on them to give them a fair shake. I have bought one plastic pistol new.
A SIG mosquito when they first came out, at top dollar of around $400. Worst mistake I have made since buying a Rem 742 back in 1966. No more plastic for me.

bob208
08-15-2018, 10:40 AM
my first centerfire pistol was a colt combat commander . it was nice but carrying it on the tractor lead to a lot of lost brass. so I got a ruger Blackhawk in .357 4 5/8 inch barrel. it was great no longer chasing brass. still have it. I have been a wheel gun man ever since have many of them a lot of three screw rugers un altered.

ReloaderFred
08-15-2018, 10:51 AM
For those of us who are getting up in age, or have bending over issues, this is just the ticket:

https://www.harborfreight.com/ez-reach-grab-pickup-and-reaching-tool-62752.html

Costco sells them in a two-pac for the same price, in the automotive section. If you ever go to a SASS match, almost every gun cart has one of these hanging on it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Oh, and over three quarters of my handguns are revolvers.

Thundarstick
08-15-2018, 12:30 PM
I bet it would work great, I have one that I pick up rocks out of my garden with.

bob208
08-15-2018, 12:57 PM
I have a few of the ones that have a flex able shaft . push in the top of the handle and the 4 fingers open. great for picking up brass and fishing out wrenches and nuts and bolts that drop into tight places.

Texas by God
08-15-2018, 07:13 PM
I would be happy with just two more- An old model Colt Detective Special and a Ruger old Model 41 magnum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rintinglen
08-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Me too--I mostly shoot 9mm if I shoot an auto so I won't have to chase the brass. But almost all my favorites are round, and mostly Smith's, though I've a fair few Colts and 3 DA Rugers of various calibers. (That trio in my avatar are my absolute favorites. But you can't reload 22"s)
Revolvers just speak to me in a way that the plastic, fantastic bottom feeders will never match.

shtur
08-15-2018, 10:00 PM
rintinglen, those woodsman are my favorite also. I'm a long time hand-gunner, and like revolver, but the 1911 is KING for me.

GhostHawk
08-15-2018, 10:01 PM
I did not really get into pistols period until I was pushing 60. And at that it took me a while to get hooked on revolvers. But it happened.

Started with a 22 + yr old Heritage Rough Rider switch cylinder in .22lr and .22mag.
I just never could get it to shoot well with .22lr. My father in law had gifted me several boxes of .22mag so I put the mag cylinder in and took it to the range with some family for some good time shooting.

Boy that thing was a favorite, and it was putting them all in nice tight groups too!

But I wanted something I could reload, so I started looking at .32's. .327 fed, .32 H&R mag, which lead me to the .32sw long. And I found a pair of H&R double action revolvers with 2.5" barrels. One blued, one nickle. Nickle did not shoot terribly accurate. But at 20 feet they'd all go in the same coffee mug. Little blued one I called blackie, and at 20 feet it has put 6 rounds into an inch circle offhand.

So then I wanted one with a longer barrel, more accurate. Eventually I found a Ruger new model Single Six in .32 H&R. And boy that one just drills those .32sw longs as nicely as I could ask for.

Yeah they are growing on me.
Something about that sound of cocking the hammer back, hearing the cylinder lock into place.

Walks
08-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Wheelgun,
I have 8 bad discs, but I've HATED PICKING UP BRASS since I started at 4yrs old. My first job in "shooting". I'd stand 30ft behind my older Family members and dash in while they took a break at the side to load mags.

Preferred Revolvers ever since. Besides the BEST HANDGUNS in the World are COLT and SMITH & WESSON Revolvers. And RUGERS.

Of course I love my all Steel 1911's, 1903's and WALTHER PP's. P-38's and Luger's. But LORD I hate picking up the brass. I have had a "can picker upper" for 20yrs. I made brass collection can's to go with them for my old SASS Club. You take a 1 lb coffee can, cut off the top and bottom. Attach a piece off 1/4" hardware cloth to the bottom so the dirt and small rocks will fall thru. Then screw a 3ft piece of old broomstick to the side. Now a days a lot of people use the roller cage nut collector's that MIDWAY sells. I take a folding grabber to the indoor range.

But back to Revolvers, I think I have about 6 revolvers for every auto I own. Most of those are all my Favorites. My favorite is usually the one I'm holding in my hand at that moment. There are even a couple that have in excess of 50,000rds thru them.

Nothing in the world like holding a matched pair of COLT SAA's, one in your right hand & one in your left. Squeezing off alternate shots and hearing a ding with each one.

engineer401
08-15-2018, 10:47 PM
I started with revolvers. Then a friend talked me into autos. 30 years later I’m back to revolvers. I just like them better. I also like the fact I don’t chase brass.

am44mag
08-15-2018, 11:33 PM
I don't know how your ranges are set up or what you can take with you, but I have made a brass catcher out of a cheap canvas bag from Atwoods (a ranching store) and some scrap wood I had lying around. I had to shoot from a bench with it as it sat on the bench, but it caught probably 99% of the brass thrown at it. I plan on building another one out of PVC and a tarp that can be used while standing. It's a cheap and simple project that really anyone could do. Those who can't get down and pick through the grass for brass like they used to might find a something like this useful. The PVC design would also make it easy to disassemble for storage and transport.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-16-2018, 01:05 AM
Revolvers shoot real boolits with big flat meplats. I bought my first pistol in 1973, a Colt’s revolver of course. Once I counted up having bought 27 revolvers in 27 years. When law enforcement went to bottom feeders I got 1911 Colt’s .45s which shoot my cast boolits -but just RN. I’m retired now and carry and shoot revolvers almost exclusively. The 1911’s just sit in the safe.

Revolvers deliver down range accuracy like no shell shucker can. Not to mention the grip of the revolver being superior, personally I favor the Colt’s SAA.

Beagle333
08-16-2018, 02:11 AM
I'm definitely a revolver man. I have a couple of the newer Colt 1911s, but I haven't ran more than 2 or 3 mags through each and they moved to the safe. I just like my wheelguns. 8-)

Biggin
08-16-2018, 08:12 AM
I'm not as seasoned as some of the rest of ya'll but the very first gun I ever shot was a revolver and have been hooked ever since. I love my 1911s but I hate chasing brass! If I could only have one or two they would be SA Ruger and a DA Smith.

Petrol & Powder
08-16-2018, 08:37 AM
There is something about a revolver that I'm drawn to and I can't quite put my finger on it.
During all of my decades of shooting handguns, I always gravitate to DA revolvers.
I'm not much of a single action guy and I've only owned a few SA's over the years. I rarely even shoot my DA revolvers in single action. However, there's something about a good DA revolver that makes me smile. I'm proficient with the bottom feeders and there's no denying the pistol is an effective tool but a good DA revolver is a little closer to my heart.

mattw
08-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Revolvers shoot real boolits with big flat meplats. I bought my first pistol in 1973, a Colt’s revolver of course. Once I counted up having bought 27 revolvers in 27 years. When law enforcement went to bottom feeders I got 1911 Colt’s .45s which shoot my cast boolits -but just RN. I’m retired now and carry and shoot revolvers almost exclusively. The 1911’s just sit in the safe.

Revolvers deliver down range accuracy like no shell shucker can. Not to mention the grip of the revolver being superior, personally I favor the Colt’s SAA.

I hate to hear about 1911's sitting in a safe. I am primarily a S&W revolver shooter, but have a very soft spot for 1911's. All it takes to get them running with SWC bullets is just a bit of touch up on the feed ramp. Easy work by hand and well worth it! All of mine will eat anything I throw in the mags.

I only shoot SA/DA as I have Kienbock's disease and a SA revolver will hurt so bad that I can't even pick up a coffee cup for 2 or 3 days. A good set of Hogue grips on a 41 mag loaded full house does not hurt at all. Something about the grip angles, I guess. There is 1 I would still like to own... a Super Redhawk in 41 mag with about a 6 inch barrel. I shoot a few 275 grain 41 mags and even with dual ball crane locks, I can't help but think it is not good for my Smiths.

DerekP Houston
08-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Count me as a revolver man as well, nothing like a blued 38 special to me. I've got a few nickle versions but the finger prints and smudges drive me nuts, I like the old work horse police trade in.

JoeJames
08-16-2018, 10:53 AM
I agree 100%. Back in the day I used to shoot with the East Arkansas Peace Officers Association when it was solely wheelguns. I normally shot a Model 15 Smith. My number 1 revolver is now a Lipsey Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special, and its accuracy still manages to surprise me. I do have a couple of "Tools" also: a Glock 21 and a Glock 43, but in my opinion a good Smith or Ruger will beat them hands down for accuracy.

charlie b
08-16-2018, 11:15 AM
While I dearly love my revolver, I shoot my auto much more. No, I am not a great shot, or a competition shooter (although I was for a short period of time in my youth). I shoot to have fun and to keep my remining skills current.

Yes, the Python is very accurate. But, so was my tuned 1911. My HK is very close.

I do like not having brass thrown around and getting dirty, but, a tarp solves most of that problem with my current HK 9mm (I do not shoot indoors).

If I carried in the woods a stainless revolver was my choice. I carried a Ruger SP101 when fishing for many years.

I was one who never liked the SA grips, of any type. Just did not sit well in my hand.

And, I shoot the revolver DA most of the time.

dverna
08-16-2018, 04:01 PM
My favorite pistols are a pair of Colt SSA's in .357. Great guns. I shot them in CAS and shoot them for fun now.

I do not enjoy picking up brass, and I will build a brass catcher trap for when I shoot those plastic guns I carry. I have my own range so it makes sense.

I have been looking at getting a pair of S&W Model 10's but have not found decent ones at an affordable price yet. Been thinking about the Ruger LCRx's in .38 with the 3" barrel.

sharps4590
08-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Put me in the revolver column as well. I have a couple S&W's and an old Colt Army Special in 32-20 I carried for years on the farm but, SA's are my favorites and of those several I own my Freedom Arms Mod. 97 in 45 Colt is the hands down favorite although I don't shoot it near as much as my Colt SA's. I've owned several Ruger SA's and still have a Buckeye Ruger with 32-20 and 32 H&R cylinders, the latter of which has never seen a cartridge as I much prefer the 32-20. The others have all gone down the road. Can't say a thing bad about them other than they simply don't appeal to me as much as the Colts or Freedom Arms.

rking22
08-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Another revolver fan here, DA Smiths and Rugers mostly. I cant seem to keep a single action very long, but a good blued Smith DA has a home for life. I have a series 70 1911, since 1976, but rarely shoot it. As far a plastic theres a Kahr 45 and TCP, no blocks or glock clones. The autos work, but the revolvers have much more appeal, classic and efficient.
A clean blued M19 or Colt Diamondback is beautiful and deadly accurate. Gp100s, well the charm is in the use, strong and reliably accurate. The SW M&P is special, mine's from 1919 and a work of precision.
Teah I like revolvers, a lot

Chad5005
08-16-2018, 06:00 PM
I too am a revolver man,mostly sa rugers but do have da rugers,s&w's and a few tuarus's and my brass catcher would rather me shoot revolvers so she doesnt have to pick up brass either lol

RKJ
08-16-2018, 06:38 PM
I forgot to mention in the post about the nut raker, but I've got 4 revolvers that I very much like. A 4" 28-2 .357 that was rode hard and put away wet too many time before I got it, but it cleaned up decently and I just like things like that. Plus the price was too good to pass up (of course I've got the price of a new one in now but that was my fault. :) A 4" 66 (I was looking for this o=when I got the 28, My wife didn't appreciate me buying two in the same month but I had to. I've got a 6" 629 (to replace the one I had forever ago and foolishly traded away. I don't shoot it much better than the original one though. And a 4" 25-7 45 Colt (with the idiot lock, but it doesn't bother me) which makes me look like I'm a good shooter. I do enjoy shooting everyone of them.

megasupermagnum
08-16-2018, 06:44 PM
I also strongly favor a revolver. As a left handed shooter, the auto's leave way too much to be desired. I have yet to find one that has an easy to reach safety, good trigger, easy to reach mag release, good sights, reliable, and accurate all at the same time. Most revolvers meet those qualifications. They work easily both right and left handed, no safety (my preference), yet has the option of an awesome single action trigger, and they are as reliable as your skill level.

After shooting a number of Glocks, I just don't see it. For competition, maybe defensive, sure. It seems there are cheaper options that are just as good.

1911's come close to what I like, but then you are talking a starting price of $800 for one that isn't imported, and goes up from there. That ruger 1911 in 10mm auto is about the only auto I've been excited about, but still have not bought one. My only gripe with the 1911 is the safety. The right hand safety is not too bad shooting left hand (not a type-o), although I have to shift my grip to switch it. With the ambidextrous safety's, they are too low, I end up accidentally putting them on safe after the first few shots. It's too bad they don't flip up to take off safe, I can do that without compromising my grip. I'm willing to change my grip to put it on safe, but I want a rock solid grip on a draw. I also like that I can get better fitting grips on revolvers. My hands are quite a bit bigger than the average person.

Texas by God
08-16-2018, 07:05 PM
This would be a good time to mention that Bud's Guns has some Smith & Wesson police trade-in revolvers right now.

rfd
08-16-2018, 07:34 PM
yep, nothing like a good revolver. love my model 60 snubbie.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-17-2018, 12:57 AM
I did hit an offender running from a murder at 80 yards with a 1911 once. Still I attribute the revolver as the platform which taught me how to shoot a handgun.

I hate to hear about 1911's sitting in a safe. I am primarily a S&W revolver shooter, but have a very soft spot for 1911's. All it takes to get them running with SWC bullets is just a bit of touch up on the feed ramp. Easy work by hand and well worth it! All of mine will eat anything I throw in the mags.

I only shoot SA/DA as I have Kienbock's disease and a SA revolver will hurt so bad that I can't even pick up a coffee cup for 2 or 3 days. A good set of Hogue grips on a 41 mag loaded full house does not hurt at all. Something about the grip angles, I guess. There is 1 I would still like to own... a Super Redhawk in 41 mag with about a 6 inch barrel. I shoot a few 275 grain 41 mags and even with dual ball crane locks, I can't help but think it is not good for my Smiths.

Jtarm
08-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Yeah they’re OK, I guess.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180817/fae311bff209001a9777b8c79d57ae8e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180817/aaffc5ac9b9de43228a785c193c5db46.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180817/61ceb4368446aef00e5a477f481fdcb9.jpg

Those are just the ones I happen to have on my phone.

It’s just something in my DNA. I took five revolvers to the range a couple weeks ago. Later while cleaning thirty chambers, I wondered why I can’t be happy with a plastic bottom feeder. I’ve tried, but shooting autos in general and plastic strikers in particular is like trying to vegan after eating juicy beef your whole life.

I rented a Glook 17 the other day and can see where it is a superior fighting weapon. But I’m no LEO, so my Smith Model 64 (carry concealed) is adequate for just about any fracas I have any business getting in to.

I still beat about 2/3 of the bottom feeder shooters in our local IDPA matches, and on average am more accurate than 80% of them That’s an actual stat I calculated based on points down from twelve matches. I attribute that to having learned to shoot precision with revolvers (hunting and silhouette) before taking up any speed shooting.

Three44s
08-18-2018, 01:21 AM
I give wheelguns a solid “ten”. ...... That is because there are about ten revolvers around here for every evil bottom feeder. .... lol!

The grand ‘ole 1911 gets an out on that “evil” bit however!

Three44s

jdb3
08-18-2018, 03:30 PM
All I can add is 480 Ruger with the Wild West "Wolverine" treatment.

Good Cheer
08-19-2018, 07:28 PM
My favorite this year, forty bore 1851.

LAH
08-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Shoot them all but a sixgun is my favorite.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-22-2018, 12:23 AM
You’re out in the Indian Nation after the Ned Pepper gang, shells for your Peacemaker are hard to come by so you practice on corn dodgers with the pair of Navy 6’s in your saddle bags. Or in your case Good Cheer, Navy 40’s.

My favorite this year, forty bore 1851.

Chad5005
08-23-2018, 01:09 AM
225956 a few of my ruger collection

Jtarm
08-24-2018, 05:10 PM
I give wheelguns a solid “ten”. ...... That is because there are about ten revolvers around here for every evil bottom feeder. .... lol!

The grand ‘ole 1911 gets an out on that “evil” bit however!

Three44s

Then how can you only be Three44s?

murf205
08-30-2018, 04:51 PM
226381226379226380osteodoc08, come on and chime in. We know your/my/our weakness for wheel guns and it is a very common affliction. Here is my old 44 Hand Ejector and "Old Ugly", my 9" SRH that thinks it is a rifle, and a no dash 586.

Texas by God
08-30-2018, 07:41 PM
My wife and I favor the .38 Special for outdoors and housekeeping.
Hers the M67 with the big grips for her slender hands, mine the M15 with the small grips for my primate hands. Go figure.
We both have .22 revolvers. We need more revolvers. Perhaps matching .41 Magnums or .44 Specials.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180830/c9f6cf9c4b7bfa8ab47cbae4761bf733.jpg

LAH
08-30-2018, 08:05 PM
Fine choice there for your wife & you.

megasupermagnum
08-31-2018, 01:42 AM
Even the ammo is better. Semi auto ammo is constrained by what feeds. In a revolver, a bullet can be pretty much anything you can imagine. Cast of 20-1, they are art.

Shuz
08-31-2018, 10:55 AM
The only reason I have 2/ea Keltec K3AT's in .380ACP, is that I find it hard to carry a 329PD in .44 mag concealed in the summertime when my
"uniform" consists of swimming trunks and a tee shirt!

osteodoc08
09-01-2018, 12:41 PM
226381226379226380osteodoc08, come on and chime in. We know your/my/our weakness for wheel guns and it is a very common affliction. Here is my old 44 Hand Ejector and "Old Ugly", my 9" SRH that thinks it is a rifle, and a no dash 586.

Give me a little and I’ll show my Clements custom 3 screw BH in 41 Mag.

osteodoc08
09-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Clements Custom OMBH in 41 Mag
CCH by turnbull
Semi gloss polish and reblue
BP Chamfer
Bowen Rough Country Rear sight with double gold bars front sight
Grip shaped more to a #5 grip with hand made AAA Walnut stocks fitted to gun.
Other typical Clements stuff such as action work.

My favorite custom. Waiting on him to rework another but he’s back logged 6+ months right now as he slows down and readies for retirement in the next few years.

The reddish brass color is due to my GA Bulldogs shirt reflection. Go Dawgs!

murf205
09-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Now THAT's a revolver! The shirt....we'll have to talk about, LOL

Outpost75
09-02-2018, 11:28 PM
I love wheelguns. Posting obligatory revolver porn:

Chad5005
09-03-2018, 12:05 AM
226535 a few more of my rugers
top 357 and bottom 44-40

rking22
09-03-2018, 10:38 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/f20qol.jpgHere's some GP100s, top is a Clements 41 special, then Lipseys 44special, and an early 357. The 357 and 44 have swapped grips since the picture.

Three44s
09-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Then how can you only be Three44s?.

Well,

I had three 44s until I traded one for a 480. As far as handles, it is sort of like tattoos on women. They get a boy friends name on their rear end and marry someone else. I am not getting any tattoos and I do search for number three as to 44s go. It might be my 9.5” SRH I traded for that 480 SRH or it might be a long arm in the same cartridge or a different hand gun.

So .... how many wheel guns do I have?

Plenty.

I am not going to assemble a road map for some future administration to use in a nefarious way.

But my first response that the autos are under represented by about ten to one around my parts stands.

Best regards

Three44s

Jtarm
09-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Recent GB pickup:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180904/046822356aac44cf33168fda8b215eab.jpg

Rug480
09-04-2018, 02:27 PM
I've been a 1911 guy since the get go, and I've tried so many others, CZ, Glock, S&W, Steyr, H & K, Sig all fine guns but my wife says I'm 32 going on 60 and she may be right, nothing turns my switch like an old school wheel gun. Went BIG for the first one 480 Super Redhawk, and I'll never turn back.. now I'm hunting for a bisley in 4 5/8.. those 44 flattops really look appealing.

Texas by God
09-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Even the ammo is better. Semi auto ammo is constrained by what feeds. In a revolver, a bullet can be pretty much anything you can imagine. Cast of 20-1, they are art.

226395And shot loads, wax bullet loads, bisquit dough bullets, multiball loads, like you said.

LeadHead72
09-05-2018, 08:03 PM
You know, I've shot a lot of guns over the years, but nothing really compares to a revolver to me. There's just something about them. They're beautiful, they're accurate, and they're special. The crisp, almost hair trigger when shot as a single action. The authoritative click of the hammer when you pull it back. The astonishing amount of power they can handle. It all adds together to create what I would consider a work of art. They have a life and a character all their own. Something modern cookie cutter polymer semi autos will never have. They're all more or less the same to me. I still like them, and enjoy shooting them, but at the end of the day my revolvers will be the guns I never sell.

It sounds like you and I are twins who were separated at birth... At the very least, we obviously have very similar DNA. There is something about the precision of a well-built revolver that gives a feeling that nothing else can give.

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Every revolver that I have sold has been regretted. Not so with my semiautos....

I don't hold too many guns in an ecstatic mindset, but revolvers are as close as I can get to that. I will always have more excitement over a revolver in a gun shop or a for sale ad than any semiauto when looking.

Texas by God
09-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Probably something close to 90% of my most amazing hand gun shots have been made with- wait for it -revolvers! I will walk past 100 semi-autos to look at a single revolver in the dealers case.

Three44s
09-07-2018, 03:10 AM
Probably something close to 90% of my most amazing hand gun shots have been made with- wait for it -revolvers! I will walk past 100 semi-autos to look at a single revolver in the dealers case.

So .... that’s why revolvers are much less plentiful in gun cases these days! I have been trailing behind Texas By God when I should have been out ahead of him!! Geeesh!

I know just how you feel. I walk up to these sales counters and just run cold if it’s just autos in there.

Give me the round shooters every time.

I figure all that ammo in today’s auto loaders is to chase a prospective target to a common place. Run it dry doing the first Mag and then settle down on the second Mag and maybe git’em with one of those?

Three44s

Three44s
09-07-2018, 03:21 AM
I've been a 1911 guy since the get go, and I've tried so many others, CZ, Glock, S&W, Steyr, H & K, Sig all fine guns but my wife says I'm 32 going on 60 and she may be right, nothing turns my switch like an old school wheel gun. Went BIG for the first one 480 Super Redhawk, and I'll never turn back.. now I'm hunting for a bisley in 4 5/8.. those 44 flattops really look appealing.

I will clue you in, though it appears you have things pretty well figured out:

The 480 Ruger is one hell of a cartridge and Rugers are quite capable chambered in them.

Before I traded my beloved peep sighted 9.5” 44 Mag SRH off for a 7.5 in 480 in a SRH, I did a lot of research. I found that while the 475 Linebaugh is an excellent round, one hade to spend a good deal more on the revolvers to fire it and that the 480 was not very far behind the 475 .... some but not enough to justify the added cost for ordinary shooting or hunting.

It is too bad the cartridge does not catch on more than it has but those are the breaks.

There has been issues in the past of cases sticking with max loads. I found that 1 gr. Under max with H110 or Lil gun takes care of that fully and does not require squeaky clean chambers either.

Enjoy

Three44s

LeadHead72
09-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Every revolver that I have sold has been regretted. Not so with my semiautos....

For the most part I agree with you, and would lump leverguns in the same group. I enjoy shooting semi-autos to some extent but they just don't "grab" me.
One of my biggest regrets was selling my Smith 36 many years ago as a teenager to fund a <gasp> Ruger Mark II (2nd biggest regret was trading away my pre-safety Marlin 336T). To this day that Ruger only has a spot in my safe because I just about refuse to sell ANY gun (too many regrets). The one exception is the High Standard Sentinel Deluxe .22 9-shot that I also sold about the same time as the 36. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, yet my dad's identical piece was a tack-driver. I don't miss that one much at all.

I don't hold too many guns in an ecstatic mindset, but revolvers are as close as I can get to that. I will always have more excitement over a revolver in a gun shop or a for sale ad than any semiauto when looking.

Ditto. Same goes for Marlin leverguns for me. Probably the top 3 items on my wish list right now would be a Smith 57 or 657 and matching Marlin 1894's in .41 Mag and .357.

osteodoc08
09-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Agreed the Ruger 480 occupies a niche and is a rather under rated and phenomenal cartridge. I regret selling a few guns including a CCL Marlin 41. Member TUG bought it here and is in good hands.

FergusonTO35
09-07-2018, 03:12 PM
My favorite handguns other than my BHP are wheelguns. Currently have five in .38 Special, my favorite handgun round. Ruger Service Six, S&W 10-5 and 637-2, Charter Arms Undercover, and Rossi 461. All of them, even the snubbies, are fun to shoot and more accurate than my shaky hands can take advantage of.

Plastic bottom feeders do have their place, I have four Glocks and find them to work perfectly for their intended use. The biggest thing I like about them is that parts are dirt cheap and available anywhere, and the only tool you need to work on a Glock is a thin cylindrical object. Plus, if one of the Glocks gets stolen or damaged it can be instantly replaced at any gun shop. When I'm fishing in the creek or sweating buckets on a 95 degree day you can bet I'm carrying a Glock and not one of the blued steel and wood pretties!

HABCAN
09-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I know whatcha mean! I take these Pietta .44-40's out to drool at every so often, and I SO miss the early '60's S&W's I had to sell!!

lightman
09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Love my Colt and Smith revolvers! I just bought a Ruger Super Red Hawk. It shoots surprisingly well.

condorjohn
09-07-2018, 10:58 PM
More revolving eye candy... Centennial 1860 - 1960 New Army, unfired. I have another 1860 (Uberti)226778226779 that is my shooter, and what a shooter it is!