PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging barrels

Wishbone
09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Howdy folks.
Quick question. I just acquired a replica 1866 Yellowboy carbine in 44-40. Would it be possible to exchange a '73 carbine barrel in 38-40 with this rifle??..Can't find a '66 38-40 barrel... Thanks, Wishbone :?:

KCSO
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Depends on who made it, I know theUberti barrels are the same thread, nof if you can get it to headspace ok? If it turns up tight and you need to take a tad off you are ok but if it's loose or had too much headspace you will need to take off 1 full turn and that will require a lathe and a reamer. Cimarron sells a yellow boy in 38-40 so you might want to sell yours and buy theirs rather then spend the bucks to rebarrel.

When I rebarrel a lever gun I want the barrel in tight and I have seen some of the cheaper replicas with the barrel held in only by locktight. If you can't get about 15 degrees after the tube comes in hand tight I want to start over with a full turn off the barrel and a rechamber.

Wishbone
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you sir. Good info. If I do decide to rebarrel, I happen to have a friend that is a machinist and has his own lathe.. Thanks again...Wishbone