PDA

View Full Version : Mauser M18 308Win Rifle

Four Fingers of Death
08-14-2018, 06:51 AM
I put a deposit on one of these the other day (they haven't arrived into the country yet).

It will be used for some hunting and mostly range target / plinking / cast boolit fun.

Has anyone used one yet?

Texas by God
08-14-2018, 08:02 PM
The reviews are good that I have seen for it. Mauser's answer to the Tikka T3 Lite. I'd buy one, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Four Fingers of Death
08-14-2018, 11:13 PM
The reviews are good that I have seen for it. Mauser's answer to the Tikka T3 Lite. I'd buy one, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

At two thirds of the price. I hope it works better than my Tikka T3 hunter. It is ok, but my el cheapo Ruger American kicks it's butt every time (both 223, bith 1 in 8" twist barrels).

Texas by God
08-15-2018, 12:35 AM
The Ruger Americans are shooters, for sure. The Mauser probably won't be cheap here!
My T3 Hunters are very accurate (22-250,25-06, & 8x57mm). They aren't cheap here, either IMO.

Four Fingers of Death
08-15-2018, 05:42 AM
The M18 is selling for $699 in the States from what I hear. They sell for $895 here in Australia (when they arrive, haha, supposed to be late Aug, looking like early October now.

Hardcast416taylor
08-15-2018, 01:35 PM
G`Day to ya! Haven`t seen any posts from you in awhile, glad to see you`re still buying rifles.Robert

08-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Following this one. Want to hear about anybody's experience with the new Mauser.

Four Fingers of Death
08-16-2018, 01:32 AM
G`Day to ya! Haven`t seen any posts from you in awhile, glad to see you`re still buying rifles.Robert

I'm selling more than I'm buying lately. Trying to reduce my armoury significantly. I think this rifle wil suit me better and allow me to sell about three.

nekshot
08-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Wow, now that gun turns my crank. I could like one of those real quick. I like it because it doesn't look as cheap as some of its competition does. Maybe I do need another rifle! I sure like the big wars era mausers turned into sporters.

Petrol & Powder
08-16-2018, 09:01 AM
The M18 is an interesting concept. Its manufacturing process reminds me a little of the Savage 110 philosophy in which the goal is to produce a high quality rifle with an innovative assembly process to keep the cost down.

The M18 uses a three lugged bolt head that locks to the barrel and not to the receiver. The locking surfaces in the barrel extension determine the head space and lock up. This allows Mauser to assemble a rifle quickly and maintain fine accuracy.
When this process is used, the manufacturer can put more money into barrels, triggers, etc. and less money into assembly and fitting. This allows them to hit a price point without sacrificing final quality.

Looks like a good rifle.

Four Fingers of Death
08-17-2018, 12:13 AM
The M18 is an interesting concept. Its manufacturing process reminds me a little of the Savage 110 philosophy in which the goal is to produce a high quality rifle with an innovative assembly process to keep the cost down.

The M18 uses a three lugged bolt head that locks to the barrel and not to the receiver. The locking surfaces in the barrel extension determine the head space and lock up. This allows Mauser to assemble a rifle quickly and maintain fine accuracy.
When this process is used, the manufacturer can put more money into barrels, triggers, etc. and less money into assembly and fitting. This allows them to hit a price point without sacrificing final quality.

Looks like a good rifle.

The barrel lock up means barrel switching is not as easy as reciiever lock up, but with a couple of boxes of jacketed bullets to run it in and running it on cast, combined with the fact that I am 70, I can't see me wearing it out.

Petrol & Powder
08-17-2018, 07:08 AM
I don't think there's any chance of wearing it out!

You've got a good rifle there.