PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets in the 6 1/2" bbl Smith 500 with the integral compensator ???

Joe C
08-13-2018, 10:20 PM
For the last few days now I have been searching for some info on using cast bullets in the 6 1/2 " model Smith with the integral compensator on it .

From what I read , (I haven't had a chance to handle one ) that it has 3 ports on each side of the front sight , but the holes in the barrel go all the way around inside the shroud ?? .

Wondering what kind of problems , if any , that might cause with cast bullets as far as lead build up ?

Anybody have any experience with this particular revolver ?

thanks

Joe

dmize
08-13-2018, 11:40 PM
I have several handguns..475,480,454 and 500 Linebaugh that are Magna Ported. Some lead build up on sides of front sight bases but that is about the extent of it

lefty o
08-13-2018, 11:52 PM
cast in compensators is okay if you like scraping lead out of the comp.

Iron Whittler
08-14-2018, 12:00 AM
Check your cylinder throats for size. Mine were so tight, factory jacketed bullets would not pass through without force. A trip to Doug Guy on this forum, problem solved. Tight throats most often cause barrel leading with cast and poor accuracy with j words. ymmv. Iron:Fire:

Forrest r
08-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Powder coated bullets are your friend. No leading in ports, comps or muzzle breaks.

mozeppa
08-14-2018, 08:22 AM
the reason for the holes all the way around the barrel is...

when you buy a S&W 500 mag it comes with 2 compensator inserts.

one that directs some of the muzzle blast upwards and the other one does not.

tradbear55
08-14-2018, 12:25 PM
the reason for the holes all the way around the barrel is...

when you buy a S&W 500 mag it comes with 2 compensator inserts.

one that directs some of the muzzle blast upwards and the other one does not.

They make 2 versions of the 500 magnum with the 8 3/8 barrel length. One with a fixed comp. and one with a removeable comp. The removeable comp has two comps with the gun, when purchased. 1 for lead and 1 for jacketed bullets. The 6.5 inch barrel is only available with the fixed magnaport style porting.

Joe C
08-15-2018, 01:37 PM
tradbear5

The 6.5 inch bbl revolver , with the integral comp/magnaport style porting is the one i was asking about .

Wonder if anyone here has experience with this particular revolver with cast bullets ?

thanks

Joe

Rick B
08-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Howdy, Joe
I shoot a 6.5” Performance Center 500 S&W with the round ported fixed compensator. Shot many M&P FB 440 grain SWC. My favorite load is a midrange load of V110 for 1340 fps with the above mentioned 440. Bullets are water dropped and test 25 Brinell with a Cabine Tree Tester. Slight trace of lead in the barrel at times, no issue with the Comp.
Rick

JRD
08-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Joe,
You will be totally fine shooting cast bullets through that model. The barrel sleeve is ported all the way around so the barrel can be screwed on at the factory to the closest set of holes where the barrel/cylinder gap is right. The extra holes won't affect you with cast bullets and any fouling which gets into them doesn't cause problems in my experience.

Jason

Jason

Joe C
08-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Jason
Thanks , that is the most logical reason i have heard for the holes being around the barrel .

Makes sense that you would need an easy way to align the holes in the barrel with the holes in the shroud and still keep a reasonable cylinder gap .

My main concern was fouling , especially lead fouling , building up in an area where it would be impossible to clean it out .

thanks again

Joe