PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Used Die Set 45/70

Traffer
08-13-2018, 12:06 PM
I am looking at a Lyman AA die set (3 dies) for my new 45/70. I have never purchased a die set before and would like some advise.
First, I am cheap and poor and always buy cheap stuff ...often used. There is a Lyman 45/70 die set on eBay with a bent primer punch pin for cheap money.
I assume that Lyman has standard 7/8 14 threads. The bent pin doesn't bother me, I can either bend it straight or fabricate a new one. Do these dies get worn out? Expand and become useless? Would this set have all the dies needed for reloading with lead boolits? Like a crimp die? Or would you suggest getting a Lee FCD along with this set?
Any other thoughts or advise?
Thanks

Grmps
08-13-2018, 12:15 PM
I always de-prime all my brass with the LEE universal de-priming tool. (because I wet tumble all my brass and want the primer pockets cleaned)

IF it was an RCBS die I would say go for it, they are great on warranty replacements and their customer service is excellent, Lyman - not so much

I would go with a new lee. you don't know if the Lyman die is scratched, abused, worn or?

I recently borrowed a 45/70 die a friend got in a trade and the dies were shot, I ended up using 45 colt dies for most of the reloading.

Binky
08-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Depends on how cheap they and U are. I have bought many sets of used dies (and sold some too) and had good luck. The pins are cheap. You can get a 5 pack for 3 or 4 bucks and they will probably last forever. Or do like many of us and deprime with another die. If they are less than Lee's I might try them. (Just for the record, I use a set of Lee's in 45-70 and like them.)

DaveF
08-13-2018, 03:59 PM
After some time of using Lee's Classic Loader in 30-06, I bought my first 45-70 and actual die sets for both the 45-70 and my 30-06 in 1974.
I bought Lyman AA dies for both calibers, and after 44 years am still using them today, and have never had a problem with either die set.
The only thing to remember is that they use headed-type decapping pins, and spares are good to have, but they are less than $5.00 for a 10 pack on Midway, Amazon, Optics Planet etc., etc..
The AA three-die set should include the M-die for use with lead bullets, and the seating die will crimp.

BUT, as was said in other posts, used dies, sight unseen, are a bit of a gamble.

robg
08-13-2018, 05:12 PM
I bought the Lee 3 die set works fine in 45-70 .