PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman's Guide

straightshooter1
11-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Rant is what I want to do. But I won't, I guess. I ordered a nice pair of New Balance Walkers from them, price was okay, even had a coupon to take another $10 off.
They sent the wrong size. Hey, I make mistakes too and it's not a big deal. Except they want you to pay the return shipping, then, if they decide it is their error, they won't charge shipping to send the right size.
I called. The first guy, when he realized I wasn't ordering, was pretty rude. The second was nice, transferred me to customer service, and I followed the non-live instructions to press this number, then that one and, finally, I got a dial tone. Grrrrrrr!
The third one let me in on the secret, don't push anything. I went through what seemed like an eternity of being continuously told the reps are busy with another customer and I can use email, or fax or push another number and leave a message and get a return call. Finally realizing that no one was really going to talk to me, I left a message. Grrrrrrr. No profanity, I try to walk the Christian walk (and mess up quite regularly by the way), but I can still get angry. Still, I left a polite, but obviously irritated message for them.
No return call, of course. Double Grrrrrrrrrrr!
So, I sent an email. I guess what's so maddening is that I knew what they were doing to me when I got the dial tone. Still, in the (now I realize foolish) hope someone would talk to me and at least politely tell me I was out of luck, I continued to try.
Okay, I feel better. Not.
Bob

StarMetal
11-29-2005, 09:24 PM
I remember reading a story in a newspaper long time ago about a fellow that bought something that you have to assemble and there were some bolts and nuts missing. Well he just up and fired off a really nasty letter to the company that made the item. It wasn't too long after that he come home one day and found his drive has a big pile of little nuts and bolts on it and a note from the company he wrote too. Guess he must have hit a nerve.

Joe

straightshooter1
11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
None of my messages, email or left on voicemail were nasty so I don't expect to come home and find a bunch of shoes on my driveway. (Bet none would be my size anyway). I did Google their name + "problems" and wish I had done so before I even ordered.
What's interesting to me is that I have never had a problem on Ebay or Gunbroker or the other forums I watch. I've bought some kinda expensive items (glad my wife doesn't read these threads) and always have been happy. This was a pair of 70something dollar shoes. I could have lived with a "Sorry" or a "We apologize" and the ten bucks shipping I will pay extra won't break me, it is just the arrogance, I guess, of this company.

carpetman
11-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey,I think we should bad mouth any bad service we get to alert others---and brag on good service too. I bought my wife a pair of Rockport shoes. After wearing a very few times,they came apart. She had them a couple of years but they were virtually like they came off the showroom floor--very obviously worn little. I contacted Rockport. To send them back,you have to contact them and get prior approval. They in turn give you a number,which has to be included on the package. These shoes were no longer made,but if they determined they were at fault they would allow so much for a current style. The allowance was well below what I paid for the others. I went online and selected from the very limited options they alowed another style. BTW you have to have this done pre sending back too----so this number I mentioned that is on the package alerts quality control if the shoes are deemed faulty they know what size and style to ship. Several weeks later,the cheaper shoes arrive,no letter of apology,explanation or anything. In the past I had bought several pairs of Rockports,but never again. Speaking of shoes and service,I have a pair of Whites hiking boots---Whites is known for their smoke jumper boots that almost all the forrest fire fighters wear. I think the best footwear going. Thorlo socks are also worth the extra you spend for them. Been wearing Thorlos for years and have yet to throw a pair away--have some past due maybe,but still going.

straightshooter1
11-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, much to my surprise, I got a call today from customer service's "Brenda." She had no idea why she was returning my call, but, politely, after I explained, she said I was out of luck-stuck with two shipping charges and, if they decided it wasn't their error, I would have to pay a third to get the right size.

At least she was polite. Now, hopefully, they will just credit my card when the shoes, which I will ship, insure and get delivery confirmation at my expense, arrive.

Bob

Denver
11-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Bob,

I went down the same road with them a couple years ago with boots I ordered. I'm stilled pissed about the frustrating experience. They still send email "Specials" a couple times a week that go directly to the junk email box. They've had a couple deals on items I want, but I can't forget the runaround I got from them and won't bite again.

straightshooter1
11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Well $11.15 got 'em shipped, insured and delivery confirmation. Out of sight, out of mind-I just have to remember to check the Visa bill to make sure the original cost is credited back.

Shepherd2
12-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I quit buying from Sportsman's Guide years ago over stuff like this. No matter what the problem was it was never their fault. I don't know how they are now but back then they were slower than molasses and had the highest s&h charges around. Told them to take me off their mailing list and I haven't missed them.

PatMarlin
12-03-2005, 01:49 AM
I talked with them about a product one time, and the guy tried to put a hard sell on me. I never call them again.

Sometimes paying more to Cabelas is worth it. They never argue, and will always take something back. First Class Company. I've bought a lot from them. :coffeecom

kenjuudo
12-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Had a falling out with SG years ago over an order for boots, they shipped a bow, wanted me to pay the shipping back. The guy I gave the bow to loved it :twisted: Still get a catalog every couple of weeks with a sticker saying it may be my last, guess they didn't take my advice on where to put it!

Cabella's has gotten alot of my money over the years, great service.

jim

floodgate
12-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Guess I'm just lucky. I've dealt with Sportsman's Guide for ten years or so, and have always gotten satisfaction. At least three returns went smoothly with no hassle. The only problem I ever had was when I ordered some Springfield parts and a spare sear for a Mosin-Nagant; the '03 stuff came through, but they said they couldn't send the M-N part to my zip code - so I got it from Numrich. floodgate

Buckshot
12-04-2005, 09:11 AM
..........Does their information say that you have to pay the return shipping even if they screw up? If not you can dispute the initial charge with your credit card company as recieveing and being charged for an item you did not order. If you wanted size 9's and they sent you 10's then they sent you unsolicited merchandise.

You go to a resturant and order a New York strip and they bring you a Reuben sandwich. They're both food but they're not the same thing and that Reuben isn't what you ordered. Should you have to pay for it too, just because they brought it to the table?

It may be similar to a size 9 that you had ordered, but the size 10 they sent is patently NOT the thing you ordered. Your credit card company credits the purchase price and if SG wants thier shoes back they can issue a ups call tag or have a courior swing by and pick them up.

You have recourse. Your state should have a consumer affairs office in the attorny generals office.

..............Buckshot

straightshooter1
12-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Actually I am holding my breath (figuratively) as I received an email from a customer service rep who swears they will credit my card for the return shipping. Waiting to see.

Bob

Randy in Arizona
12-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Sportsman's Guide - Legends in their own minds!

If you are tired of their BS, get on their mailing list for EVERY catalog you can sign up for. Toss them when they show up or save them to line Tweety's cage. Every catalog they send you costs them $$$. The money won't go into your pocket, but it will come out of theirs!