PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pressure canner

snowwolfe
08-12-2018, 02:15 PM
I plan on buying an All American 21.5 quart model soon. Best price I can find is $270 shipped on fleabay. Amazon is $279. Before I pull out the plastic thought I would check here and see if anyone knew of a better deal on a new one.

jonp
08-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Not sure what you are buying? We paid $75 or so for ours and it has worked fine for a number of years.

Are you looking for an electric one for some reason?

Hickory
08-12-2018, 02:29 PM
I have that same canner.
Mine is 39 years old and still canning every summer.

Hickory
08-12-2018, 02:46 PM
I must say I paid around $100 for mine.
It's the very top of the line on pressure canners and will give you years of service without needing any service or repair.
Two years ago I replaced the pressure gauge just to make sure it was giving me the correct reading.
No gaskets to buy either.

snowwolfe
08-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Not sure what you are buying? We paid $75 or so for ours and it has worked fine for a number of years.

Are you looking for an electric one for some reason?

As I stated in my first post:
I plan on buying an All American 21.5 quart model

Ickisrulz
08-12-2018, 03:36 PM
I plan on buying an American Standard 21.5 quart model

I think you mean All American. American Standard makes toilets.

Houndog
08-12-2018, 03:40 PM
We have 2 Mirro brand canners that are about 45 years old and outside of replacing gaskets a couple of times they are as good as new. Ours don't have a guage and rely on a weight system to keep pressures safe. we've not had the first problem with that system.

snowwolfe
08-12-2018, 03:43 PM
I think you mean All American. American Standard makes toilets.

Correct, thank you. Edited my posts with the correct information.

jonp
08-12-2018, 03:54 PM
I plan on buying an All American 21.5 quart model

Yes, I understand that. I just don't understand why you are paying so much for a canner. What you are going to pay is over twice what you need to spend

Hickory
08-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Yes, I understand that. I just don't understand why you are paying so much for a canner. What you are going to pay is over twice what you need to spend

Some people, like myself, want only the best in certain things.
I'm sure you can understand that.

snowwolfe
08-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Buy once cry once. If you are contend with other brands, fine.
Just trying to see if I can find the model I want for the best price.

Hickory
08-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Just trying to see if I can find the model I want for the best price.

Check your PM.

Hossfly
08-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Been using Presto 23 qt from wal mart for past 40 years, for that price you could get 2, let one cool while filling and heating second one. It’s the heat up and cool down that takes time to do right. Don’t over do these canners takes time to get up to temp. Don’t rush heat up cycle or cool down cycle.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-12-2018, 04:31 PM
I plan on buying an All American 21.5 quart model soon. Best price I can find is $270 shipped on fleabay. Amazon is $279. Before I pull out the plastic thought I would check here and see if anyone knew of a better deal on a new one.

I had to google that one...
Boy on boy, that All American is a humm-dinger.
Google also told me that Cabela's carries that for the same price as Amazon.
If you have a Cabela's card, you should be able to get 3% rebate in Cabela bucks.

Myself, I'm a bit too thrifty to spend that much coin on a pressure canner. My first one was $5 on a garage sale about 20 years ago. It's a Presto No 7 that looked to be about 75 years old, It's built like a tank with a pressure guage, thick heavy aluminum, and works great to this very day. A few years ago, I found another one, exactly like it (for back-up or spare parts) at a thrift store for $15...it seemed logical to have it. New gaskets are still available.

I just happened to look on ebay for the No 7...they are $20 to $50 plus shipping.

rancher1913
08-12-2018, 08:02 PM
awhile back one of those prepper sites ran a promo on them, 150 bucks shipped. we bought one to go with the wifes other 5 all americans so she would have an even number. if you don't need it right now, just keep an eye open and search google couple times a week. you will never regret spending the money on an all american.

ripshod
08-13-2018, 06:47 AM
I am no expert but I would buy one of the Walmart canners with the weights to control the pressure.Guages should be checked yearly,nothing to wory about with the weights.ripshod

smokeywolf
08-13-2018, 07:01 AM
As long as you don't have a smooth-top electric range. The 23 qt. Presto is better for the glass range tops.

Thundarstick
08-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Your dime, spend it however you want.

rancher1913
08-13-2018, 07:06 AM
glass range tops should never be used for pressure canning, they have a tendency to shatter do to the heat and weight and vibration. you may have gotten away with it but it is a ticking time bomb.

smokeywolf
08-13-2018, 07:26 AM
glass range tops should never be used for pressure canning, they have a tendency to shatter do to the heat and weight and vibration. you may have gotten away with it but it is a ticking time bomb.

While I would much rather have a gas range... Been getting away with it for 5 years and the stove is 17 years old. Almost no vibration and weighs about the same as a stainless stock pot full of 2+ gallons of spaghetti sauce.

Thumbcocker
08-13-2018, 08:02 AM
That is the canner we have and it is absolutely great. Holds pressure at 10 psi very well. Doesn't spike up or down. No rubber seal to replace and will last forever. We have an older smaller All American that was made in 1948 that is still working fine. Replaced the gauge when we got it. You will not be disappointed. The two tier loading is a Godsend when you are doing big batches of something. Mrs. Thumbcocker and I did 36 pints of green beans on Saturday it two batches.

snowwolfe
08-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Made an offer on Ebay and purchased one. Was surprised it was accepted so am happy:)
Appreciate the feedback.

Beagle333
08-13-2018, 10:38 AM
I love my All American. Same one as in Post #3. Just do not forget to put the thin film of Vasoline around the rim when you seal it. 8-)

Ole Joe Clarke
08-13-2018, 10:40 AM
We have 2 Mirro brand canners that are about 45 years old and outside of replacing gaskets a couple of times they are as good as new. Ours don't have a guage and rely on a weight system to keep pressures safe. we've not had the first problem with that system.

What he said, except ours are semi-retired now, and we have had and used them for over 50 years. They work great, what else can you say?

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Geezer in NH
08-13-2018, 04:22 PM
I am no expert but I would buy one of the Walmart canners with the weights to control the pressure.Guages should be checked yearly,nothing to wory about with the weights.ripshod

Uh no. It has a weight that controls pressure but ALSO a gauge unlike the cheapies. All are suggested to have the extension service of the Agriculture dept. test them.

I do not like canners needing a rubber or plastic washer to seal them. In fact we have 2 All American canners 1 big 21/ 1/2 and a smaller one. We use them on a commercial hot plate instead of the stove top. We can a couple hundred jars every year.

Elkins45
08-14-2018, 11:44 PM
I inherited a smaller All American that does 4 quarts or 7 pints. They really are the gold standard for pressure canners. I would love to have one of the big ones but I have a Presto with a warped bottom instead. I have to run it outside on a turkey fryer burner because our electric stove won’t get hot enough.

I can imagine an All American surviving for generations of continuous use.

Lloyd Smale
08-15-2018, 07:14 AM
been doing it for 10 years on a glass topped electric with absolutely on problem. I did have a can of spegetti sause fall out of the cubbord and shatter one though. Mines an old national #7 that was given to me probably 15 years ago for free from a buddy. New gasket about once every 3 years and its worked just fine. I do have one of those fancy electric digital ones too but I use it to cook with not to can. I just don't trust a canner that I cant tell what the pressure is inside to can meat.

Tatume
08-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Been using Presto 23 qt from wal mart for past 40 years, for that price you could get 2, let one cool while filling and heating second one. It’s the heat up and cool down that takes time to do right. Don’t over do these canners takes time to get up to temp. Don’t rush heat up cycle or cool down cycle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner-and-Cooker-01781/2625289

snuffy
08-17-2018, 03:21 AM
I'm using the pressure canner my mom used. I can remember her using as far back as 1955, I think she bought it used then. It simply says ward's 19 "pressure cooker". It holds 7 quart jars. I use it simply as a hot bath canner for tomato salsa and my hot pickled veggie mix or dill pickles. As such I don't need to put the top on to actually pressurize the jars, just bring to a boil around the jars, for a couple of minutes, then seal them up. No failures if the jars are sterilized first. It's called the hot bath method.

I also watched mom can chicken meat using the pressure lid and the green jars with the zinc tops and rubber tab seals. Those were the old hens that were 3 years old and not laying eggs as much.

So snowwolf what are you caning?

snowwolfe
08-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Snuffy,
Right now the plan is to can venison and tomatoes. When our peach trees start to drop more than we can eat, peaches. Am sure we will expand on our selections in the future.