PDA

View Full Version : S&W pin walk

wonderwolf
09-22-2008, 02:32 AM
I have several S&W 29's and a 629 that I use often though not often enough since i've been in college. I have a problem I'm sure is not unique to me but is somewhat annoying especially if ignored. The pin that holds the ejector rod retaining pin in tends to walk during a range session, It's never come all the way out but it moves side to side freely and I'm nervous one of these days I'm just gonna loose the dang thing. I Don't want to stipple it in place but I will if thats the only real solution to the problem...I'm hesitant to use locktight. What are some other cures to this problem that I'm just not thinking of?

Bret4207
09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Loc-Tite or Crazy Glue or nail polish.

imashooter2
09-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Not sure if this pin is hardened, but if it isn't, a slight bend will tighten it up some.

MtGun44
09-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Blue loctite.

Bill

HeavyMetal
09-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Are you talking about the front "Lock" located in the end of the ejector shroud?

I have never seen this pin move in any Smith! Everything else vibrates loose!

The only way this is coming loose is if it's to small for the hole it's in. If you try loctite you run the risk of locking the front lock in place as well! Same with any other glue!

A bend, in the pin, might suffice for a little while but it will work loose eventually.

A new pin and hole is the correct answer. Buy a cheap set of number drills, these are measured in thousandths of an inch, pick one just slightly larger than the hole you have drill out the hole and the use the drill shank as the new pin! Just break it of and grind it down!

This should cure the problem.

S.R.Custom
09-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Not sure if this pin is hardened, but if it isn't, a slight bend will tighten it up some.

Or... take the pin out, lay it on a hard surface like the top of your vice, and hit it with a hammer ever so lightly so as to peen it flat just a little. It won't go anywhere after that.