PDA

View Full Version : I got my 686 back from Smith...

castalott
08-10-2018, 09:50 PM
I can't find the old thread where all this started but I got the 686 back from Smith &Wesson repair. They re-cut the forcing cone and the pistol looks perfect in every way. the muzzle, crown ,barrel, forcing cone all look perfect. The cylinders are still 3 = .357 and 3= .3565. It does group better.

The load that was putting 3 in one hole and the other 3 shots 2 to 3 inches lower and 2 to 3 inches wide now contains them all in an 1.25 inch square. 3 shots are across the top and 3 are across the bottom at 12 yards with no part of the group outside the square.

I have a few more boolits to try before any mods to the gun. The first mod may be 25 shots with Flitz on the boolits or in the forcing cone. I have done this before with amazing results. I also have the tooling to open the cylinders to .358 but maybe that should be the last option. I could also roll some boolits in a grittier paste and shoot them. Another option is to shoot it a LOT and see what happens.

I would value all your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Dale

Dan Cash
08-10-2018, 10:22 PM
I am glad your revolver is all better now but how many cylinders did you get with it? Most of us only have one. I think you mean the chamber throats measure .3565/.357.

castalott
08-11-2018, 04:10 AM
Yes, of course you are right. What would you do next?

Iron Whittler
08-11-2018, 06:12 AM
Slug the bore of barrel. This will give you the groove dia. of barrel. Use Soft lead for this or make a cast from cerrosafe. Next, you will need to measure the slug or casting to get the groove dia. To match the cylinder throats too correct size for your barrel, contact Doug Guy on this forum. A great man to deal with and does fantastic work. He will advise you on sizes but decision is still yours. :Fire:

Dusty Bannister
08-11-2018, 08:34 AM
I checked your profile and this is under your threads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?363426-686-Performance-Center-gun

Dan Cash
08-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Yes, of course you are right. What would you do next?

Shoot it to my hearts content with relatively soft bullets. Nothing wrong with it as it now stands.

castalott
08-11-2018, 11:43 AM
I was just wanting it to shoot better. I have 4 other Smiths that shoot 12 shots in one hole ( Maybe a little bigger than a quarter) at that distance with that load.

Of course I am the limiting factor in all of this.....

Dale

dmize
08-13-2018, 11:58 PM
Taking it down to .0005 is splitting hairs as far as the throats go.