PDA

View Full Version : metastatic prostate cancer

snuffy
08-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Recent problems with my lower spine led me to get a MRI of that region. It showed several spots where metastatic bone cancer had started to grow. It interfered with my natural ability to control my bowel.

Metastatic prostate cancer is what happens when the prostate cancer morphs around it's need for testosterone to grow. The hormone therapy I've been on since 2010 is called Eligard. It sweeps testosterone from the blood, robbing the prostate cancer of what it needs to grow. Sometimes called chemical castration.

It's basically a death sentence, I may have a year left, possibly a bit more.

Two chemotherapy drugs in pill form will be used to fight it. One is prednisone, a steroid the other is Zytiga, abiraterone acetate, a targeted drug that has shown promise in slowing the growth of the cancer. Some studies say it doubles the life expectancy of some men.

I guess what I'm asking for is prayers and well wishes, but most importantly to ask all of you over 55 YO to go get the fickle finger test!!!! Along with a blood test to check your PSA! The earlier you catch it the longer you'll live.

BTW this is all being handled by my VA doctors at the VA clinic up in Green Bay WI. They're very good oncologists, and have all the modern knowledge and drugs to treat it. I'm in good hands!

Der Gebirgsjager
08-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Sad news, snuffy. I offer my sincerest sympathy, best wishes, and I will pray for you. What would happen, I wonder, if you took supplemental testosterone?

lightman
08-10-2018, 12:12 PM
I hate to hear that! Will be praying for you and your family. Also glad to hear that the VA is taking good care of you.

jmort
08-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Praying for you brother
Praying for the medication to have full effect

3584ELK
08-10-2018, 02:52 PM
This is sad news. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but you seem to have the heart of a fighter. I am confident a strong spirit positive attitude, and aggressive therapy can extend your life significantly. You have my prayers and my faith in a cure. Godspeed, sir.

375supermag
08-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Hi...
Most importantly do not give up.
I have been diagnosed as terminal with cancer twice and I am still here.
And...cancer free.
Maintain a positive attitude and fight.
I know receiving that kind of medical diagnosis is scary but you may be able to win this fight.
I know... I am living proof.

Tom W.
08-10-2018, 04:04 PM
I hate to hear that. I just got back this week from my prostate exam, as after having two colon surgeries, and the prostate being swollen for the last 20 years the Dr. wanted to see for himself. Psa was very low, and no trace of the colon cancer spreading. Hang in there, It can be beat. Like 375supermag said, It can get scary. My wife was taken into a private room to sigh some papers because I was in such shape that they thought I'd probably come out in a body bag. The first time my pulse rate was almost into the stroke range and I had a lung collapse. However, I'm still kicking and heading to the range tomorrow....

tommag
08-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Prayers sent.

osteodoc08
08-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Prayers sent brother.

jcren
08-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Prayers sent

buckwheatpaul
08-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Snuffy, I am sorry to hear about your diagnose. Brother, I will be praying for comfort and remission of that evil condition. Your Cast Boolits family is here for you and all you need to do is ask.

xs11jack
08-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Yes, Prayers sent for you and your family.
Ole Jack

rl69
08-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Godspeed! your spirit is refreshing

Char-Gar
08-10-2018, 09:54 PM
I will pray for you daily and those prayers will be your companion every step of the way. If you would PM me your first name, so I can pray with a real name and not a screen name.

lightload
08-10-2018, 09:55 PM
You are in my prayers.

SP5315
08-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Prayers sent

fecmech
08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Snuffy-You will be in my prayers.

Bzcraig
08-10-2018, 11:59 PM
May the peace that surpasses all understanding be the constant companion of you and your family as you walk through this valley.

curdog
08-11-2018, 09:18 AM
I am praying for you now. God bless and cure you.

snuffy
08-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks so much for the caring and especially the prayers. I accepted the lord into my heart back in '83, I couldn't imagine going through this without his amazing grace and promise of everlasting life. As always, his will be done. If that means I go on to eternal life soon, then so be it. If however he decides to heal this then to him be the praise.

I'm going to see my oncologist on Tuesday to talk about diagnosis treatment regimen, and possibly his best guess about a prognosis. I self diagnosed this, but it's the only thing it could be. According to online sights like web MD, Zytiga has a good track record since it was first used back in 2011. It basically removes ALL the testosterone in my blood, even that which the Adrenal gland produces. Some patients have lived for 5 years.

Thanks again I'll update after seeing the Doctor.

Preacher Jim
08-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Snuffy may Jesus touch that and bring healing for his glory.
Amen

Big Tom
08-11-2018, 10:59 PM
You and your family are in my prayers.

David2011
08-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Praying for the best for your treatment!

shooter93
08-12-2018, 07:42 PM
I truly wish you the best and hopefully, you will beat this. Amazing things happen so keep the faith and hope alive. You are right about men getting the tests. I'm always afyer everyone I know. They had missed the digital test on me for too long. My PSA was never high though. Well, it turned out I was in stage 4 cancer before they detected it. I was lucky and it was contained and I got the robotic surgery and have won the battle. GET TESTED GUYS.......DO NOT STALL ABOUT IT< JUST GO AND GET TESTED OFTEN. Again......the very very best of luck to you.

kfarm
08-13-2018, 01:58 PM
As said my psa count was always low but the byopsy showed a high level of cancer. Went the davinchy robot back in 2004 other than sexual side effects I'm alive and 70 now. I guess one of the worse phone calls a person can get is to have a nurse tell you that you've got cancer and you need to see the doctor asap. My heart goes out to all that get this disease in any way shape or form.

snuffy
08-15-2018, 11:23 PM
My first trip to my oncologist today gave me a lot more info. A positive name for the type of bone cancer, metastatic derived from prostate cancer. The treatment regimen will be beamed radiation to shrink the tumors, and 2 types of oral chemotherapy. I began both today, the radiation will be 5 sessions, then done. The chemo will be as long as I can tolerate it. Doc says half tolerate it pretty well, the other half don't, their survival rate is lower. Anybody see a reason to shut your mouth, just take it?

No predictions,,,--- yet. Too soon, maybe in 3-4 months. Time to get serious on a bucket list. For sure one more deer hunt with my son, or as many as I can do yet. Turkeys in the spring, maybe some fishing.

abunaitoo
08-15-2018, 11:34 PM
Hope you beat this thing. Never know what the future holds.
Doctors know a lot, but they have been wrong many times.
Did you notice any symptoms?????
Friend of mine just finished the spot chemo for prostate.
His seems to have worked. Clean bill of health.
Keep thinking positive. The mind can do almost anything with positive thinking.
Plus you have all of us hoping for your good health.

snuffy
08-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Hope you beat this thing. Never know what the future holds.
Doctors know a lot, but they have been wrong many times.
Did you notice any symptoms?????
Friend of mine just finished the spot chemo for prostate.
His seems to have worked. Clean bill of health.
Keep thinking positive. The mind can do almost anything with positive thinking.
Plus you have all of us hoping for your good health.

What got me to the ortho doc was a burning pain in my left butt cheek. And increased pain in the usual spot on mt lower back where there's a collapsed disc and bulgy disc material pressing on nerves. My chiropractor initially thought it was sciatica, so we were also looking for one of the 4 roots of that nerve to be compressed.

When the MRI came back showing the bone cancer, I was referred to my oncologist and that's where I am into the treatment plan now. Today was day 2 of 5 radiation treatments, so I'm on my way. The chemo started yesterday as well, so far no reaction. Actually I feel real good, Dr. Bayer Gave me some OXY for pain, so even this early pain management is of top importance.

Just in case the underlying message has been lost,(some saw why I posted this), AGAIN GET CHECKED! I did everything right, caught it early back in 2010, but it still is with me.

Yeah it's humiliating to "get the finger, but it could save your life. Digital screening could lead to # 2 on the hit parade a PSA test, in fact do both. If the PSA is above 4.0, #3 will be a biopsy test. If cancer cells are found then it's time for a decision. A long talk about options with a urologist to make a plan.

DCP
08-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Remember when things get tough you have many praying for you and your.

Fishman
08-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Snuffy I am sorry you are facing this. Prayers offered.

Echo
08-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear that, Snuff Man - dang it, chit happens!