PDA

View Full Version : 22 singe six accuracy

acsteve
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
hey Skin'erback. You previously mentioned that your 22 mag cylinder shoots much better than the 22 lr. What gives? I'd bet money that Old Bill Ruger's sence of frugality, ment that all of his 22 used the same barrel diameter. Heck my Mark II shoots great with most any long rifle ammo. So why would the 22mag out shoot the lr in the single six?

Nueces
09-22-2008, 12:05 AM
My 40 year old Super Single Six measures as follows: 22LR cylinder throats are ~0.227, about 5 thous more than the bullets; 22 WMR throats are ~0.225, one thou over. I don't have accuracy comparison data, but those measurements are telling.

Mark

MtGun44
09-22-2008, 01:54 AM
My brother had a Single Six in the late 60s, and I had a Ruger Std auto
6" bbl at the same time. I could always outshoot the Single Six with my
Ruger auto, except with magums, which were too expensive and noisy for
use to use but rarely. I never knew why for sure, but aren't the
bullet diam's slightly different for .22LR and .22WMR? I always figured
that was it, but the previous post on throat diams and my subsequent
education to the importance of this dimension may hold the answer.

Neuces' Single Six would be exactly the same age as my brother's (now
stolen and can't be checked) as we got them in 1968. We would swap
guns and for both of us the Single Six was noticably less accurate with
.22 LR ammo. After 40 years, I can't tell you how much, but I do remember
that I thought revolvers were just less accurate than autos for many years
until I learned more.

Bill

jameslovesjammie
09-22-2008, 04:05 AM
IIRC, .22 Long Rifle ammo is .223 diameter and .22 Mag is .224 bullet diameter. Ruger barrels are .224, hence better accuracy with magnums than Long Rifle.

NHlever
09-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Yes, Ruger Single Six barrels are .224, and their auto barrels are smaller. The jacketed bullets in the 22 WMR would cause pressure to increase if it weren' that way. 22 WMR chambers also have throats, but if you will notice the 22 LR chambers are straight through holes because the 22 LR uses heeled bullets whose outside diameter is the same as the case.

jack19512
09-22-2008, 05:52 AM
With my limited testing so far my Single Six is more accurate using the 22 lr cylinder. Could be I just haven't found the 22 mag ammo it likes yet. But, it's also possible that I could find some 22 lr ammo it likes better also. Below is a pic of 6 shots with the 22 lr cylinder from 15 yards. I am pretty sure the flier is either my fault or the ammo.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/Singlesix15yards.jpg

acsteve
09-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Should .001" make the difference? Don't .357" J's shoot pretty well in the 35 rem, 358's etc. Is that just a matter of higher pressure leading to good sealing dispite being slightly undersized?

Lloyd Smale
09-22-2008, 06:39 AM
I had one that shot mags better too. Its pot luck with single sixes. there dimentions are wrong to start with and then you combine that with rugers notorious variations in production and you get pot luck with a single six. Ive had maybe a half a dozen of them in the past and if you find one that shoots youd best hold on to it.

Bret4207
09-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Should .001" make the difference? Don't .357" J's shoot pretty well in the 35 rem, 358's etc. Is that just a matter of higher pressure leading to good sealing dispite being slightly undersized?

.0001 can make all the difference in the world. But jacketed is different than cast, which is more like the 22 LR lead alloy swaged boolits. You can't compare cast and jacketed like that. If nothing else the jacketed makes things a lot easier. You don't have to worry about fit so much with jacketed. Plus there's the whole 22 mag being jacketed and 22 LR being alloy, but there another difference too. Take those 22 Mags and try some 22 WRF in them. Every single 22 Mag I ever tried the 22 WRF with it's lead alloy, non-jacketed boolit and 1400fps speed out shot the 22 Mags jacketed high speed stuff, revolver or rifle. Strange, huh?

felix
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
My Ruger broke its firing pin after many years. Sent it to Ruger for replacement. Got it back with the new internal locks installed too, which I DID NOT WANT. Trigger pull was modified to awful, and in my opinion made the gun worthless. Put it away for six months or more, being mad as hell. Decided to shoot it anyway. Surprise!!! Accuracy with both cylinders was far superior to what they were before being sent in. The bolt held the both cylinders, on all six chambers on each, as if they had been welded there. The most accurate revolver in the stable, but not a pleasure to shoot. So, it's a catch-22 allright. Accuracy or smoothness? ... felix

44man
09-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Awe, Felix, a Ruger trigger is SOOOO easy to take to 2# without creep. If I had it here I could have it done in half an hour.

44man
09-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe an hour considereing we would be shooting the breeze! :bigsmyl2:

felix
09-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I would be happy to send the gun to you. I am sure you'd talk that trigger into place just by looking at it. ... felix

Doughty
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Back in the days of young eyes when I first got my SSS, I bought a box of every brand and style of .22 lr I could find. About 25 different ones if I remember right. Anyway, there was a big difference between them. The clear winner was the Remington .22 short hollow point. Bought a large supply from one of the jobbers that came to one of the local stores. I've got about 150 rounds left but that ought to do as I don't shoot it as much now. This load easily outshot the half dozen or so .22 mag loads I tried.

WickedGoodOutdoors
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
So: heres an idea. You cans can shoot holes in it or not? What would you think of boreing a single shot .22lr break action rifle to accept .22 mag? Would the .001 make it more accurate?

it is a .22/.410 Savage O/U with both barrels welded together. Old 1950s vintage but fun to shoot. The worlds most perfect Rabbitt/Squrill gun. Great on Partridge also.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
So: heres an idea. You cans can shoot holes in it or not? What would you think of boreing a single shot .22lr break action rifle to accept .22 mag? Would the .001 make it more accurate?

it is a .22/.410 Savage O/U with both barrels welded together. Old 1950s vintage but fun to shoot. The worlds most perfect Rabbitt/Squrill gun. Great on Partridge also.

Got me one of those Model 24 .22/.410 O/U Made in 59. Great little gun.

Sam :-D

skin'erback
09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
greetings AC. so far the six will shoot stingers pretty well. everything else is so-so. I have been working on a sizing tool simalar to paco's but no definite results yet. just flaring the hollowpoint with a pen seems to work too. needs a little more diameter i think. I know that I can just use mags for serious work, but, I have this natural cheap streak. that's why I trying to make the cheapos shoot. I 'm looking for minute of squirrel head and right now just bunny accurate. I post you if the experiments work out. the search goes on.

:cbpour:

AZ-Stew
09-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Interesting discussion.

I have a S&W model 48 (.22 Mag) to which I had fitted a .22 LR cylinder. Smith would fit the LR cyl to the M-48, but would not fit a .22 Mag cyl. to the M-17 .22 LR revolver. This tells me the M-48 had a different diameter barrel than the M-17 to accommodate the larger diameter Magnum bullets.

I've never slugged the bore or cylinders, but I can tell you the M-48 Magnum revolver shoots better with the LR cylinder and ammo than it does with its original Magnum cylinder and .22 WMR ammo. Go figure.

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
09-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Got the same gun. While it might be fine, it might no too. I don't think strength would be an issue, but those are getting hard to find and the 22 works pretty darn good the way it is.

acsteve
09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Have you tried some of the match rws, eli, lapua or wolf . They are all known for fine accuracy but arnt exactly cheap. Does anyone make soft lead cheapy 22lr?

skin'erback
09-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I am planning to try some lapua 'l' next time I see them. still not the cheapy we all dream of. have some success at increasing diameter and accuracy. not reliable method yet. brought minimags down to 2" at 25 yds today. some won't chamber , some do if you brush chambers clean. does seem to remove about 1/2 of the sloppy fit.

:killingpc

acsteve
09-24-2008, 03:47 AM
Would a custom chambered cylinder help?

Bass Ackward
09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Don't forget that LLA is soft diameter in a bottle if you have this problem. Will add .005 to .001. PIA on 22s, but if it makes you be able to hear the fat lady sing, it's worth it.