PDA

View Full Version : Who has ever shot their chrono?

am44mag
08-07-2018, 04:54 AM
Admit it, you've done it too. :p

I've unfortunately done it twice. First time, I manage to hit it dead center through both sensors with a 9mm. Needless to say it didn't survive. Heck of a way to learn to stop jerking the dang trigger.

After that I built a stand for the chrono to sit in and put a 1/2" thick AR500 steel plate in front of it. It's angled downwards so any bullet fragments will be directed down away from the chrono, but not back at me. I still shot that one too though. I clipped one of the rods that holds the sunshade with a 357 mag. It hit exactly where the two rods join together to make one long rod, and sent the top one flying. I found it about 15 yards away twisted to heck but still intact. A little straightening with a vise and some duct tape got the chrono going again in short order.

Southern Son
08-07-2018, 06:06 AM
You need more options. Such as multiple chronograph kills, multiple hits on the same chronograph, etc. I personally shot mine, twice, one round immediately after the other. Wasn't even a good group when you consider the fact that the chronograph was only ten feet away.

glockfan
08-07-2018, 06:07 AM
i'm using my competition electronics pro chrony digital since over 10 years.i've never left anyone else than me testing with it,might be the reason he's still going strong lol.

Petrol & Powder
08-07-2018, 06:08 AM
There are two kinds of people with chronographs: Those who have shot their chronograph and those who are going to shoot their chronograph.

Jeff Michel
08-07-2018, 06:11 AM
Does the support bars for the sky screens count? If so, yes..........a lot.

MrWolf
08-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Yup. Now I use wooden rods for screen.

mattw
08-07-2018, 08:38 AM
I have never shot mine, but my buddy killed my screen bars with a sabot coming off of a 12 gauge slug. Now using wood dowel rods. He killed his own with a 41 magnum, right thru the heart!

jbutts6785
08-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Shooting a black powder round. The bullet went where it was supposed to and gave a good reading. The fiber wad peeled off and hit the front of the screen. It didn't kill the Chronograph, but left an ugly
surface wound.

eveready
08-07-2018, 09:03 AM
After shooting one of the rods I cut short pieces to place in the chrono and placed plastic straws on the pieces, figured if I hit a straw nothing else would get hurt.

DougGuy
08-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Nicked the top of the sensor, went right back together and still worked that day so considered only a flesh wound? Ironic that my LBT 250gr WFN boolit didn't like BLUE that day!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/ShotChrony640_zpsn1feided.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/ShotChrony640_zpsn1feided.jpg.html)

Parson
08-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Not until a so called friend asked me to test his service grad AR across the screen to check his velocity. I knew I had to raise my point of aim with that high sight but I misjudge and smacked it. Then another guy tells me this same guy did the same thing to another guy the week before. Have thought he did it to me deliberately but who knows

one-eyed fat man
08-07-2018, 09:38 AM
I've not had cause to shoot my skyscreens yet, but I have had 'friends' who took care of that for me. I'm more judicious now and the question is which will run out first, friends or spare skyscreens.

Hossfly
08-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Shot mine top edge back timer metal, kept on working, still working 3 years. Have hit rods a few times, now have wooden dowels now to hold sky screens if needed, some times don’t use sky screens, just have to know where to shoot.

gpidaho
08-07-2018, 10:04 AM
I recently upgraded to a LabRadar so unless something really strange (Bouncing bullet back off metal plate) happens my chronograph shooting days are over. Mine is a CED Millennium so all the important parts are out of the line of fire. I have chipped one sensor but it still works fine. I've shot so many support legs that I've started just making my own out of very thin hardboard. I most surely could not miss one of the cheaper models where the whole unit sits down range. Gp

Mr_Sheesh
08-07-2018, 10:36 AM
LabRadar here too. If I manage to shoot THAT, I'm worse messed up than ANYONE thinks... I have thought of getting a second Chronograph for one special case but that's a "maybe some day after I get the do list under 12,304,221 items" thing LOL (I sweat items on the do list BREED and lengthen the list every night.)

earlmck
08-07-2018, 10:51 AM
My hits have been from gas checks that came off the boolit. That provides enough "whack" to dent the front of the sensor but not do crippling damage. But it will kill one of the types that have the readout screen right there in the vulnerable position. Fortunately gas checks do not come off very often but I have had 3 of these hits in the past 20 years, one of which took out the screen readout (stay away from that type chrono if you shoot gas checked boolits!).

Mal Paso
08-07-2018, 11:24 AM
I've never shot a chronograph. Mine had been shot already so that might have cured it of any attraction to bullets.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-07-2018, 11:43 AM
First Chrono...Second visit to the range :(

pertnear
08-07-2018, 11:44 AM
At least no one has owned up to shooting their Labradar...LOL

Hannibal
08-07-2018, 11:52 AM
I've not shot the chronograph, but I did manage to knock it over from muzzle blast due to a makeshift base to put it and the tripod on.

Made some repairs and still use it. I've never tried to shoot pistol rounds over a chronograph. I can see how that would make it considerably easier to have such a mishap.

justashooter
08-07-2018, 11:53 AM
i shotPaul's once with a tokarev. bought him a new one.

waksupi
08-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Mine took a gas check right in the gizzard. Still works. I now have a steel shield in front of the screen.

MUSTANG
08-07-2018, 12:35 PM
I've not shot the chronograph, but I did manage to knock it over from muzzle blast due to a makeshift base to put it and the tripod on.

Made some repairs and still use it. I've never tried to shoot pistol rounds over a chronograph. I can see how that would make it considerably easier to have such a mishap.

Similar to above; blew the heavy tripod and chrony to the ground (no damage). Despite the heavy muzzle brake and side blast from the AR-50; there does seem to be some level of muzzle blast behind those 650 to 800 grain bullets/boolits going down range. I now set the Chrony out at 20 feet instead of 10 feet when developing loads for the AR-50.

Kraschenbirn
08-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Took out the LCD screen of my first Chrony - an F-1 - with a wad from a .45-70 BP round. Replaced the F-1 with an Alpha Master (remote read-out) and, after tagging my second screen rod, replaced the steel rods with wood dowels set in brass ferrules.

Bill

twidpa
08-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Shot a three round set offhand to test both accuracy and velocity of my 45-70 rounds. None hit the target. Looked at the chrono and found three edge hits on bottom of the screen. So for the last ten years I have been using a chrono that was hit with 3 rounds of 45-70 ammo. That is one tough instrument.
T

MT Gianni
08-07-2018, 12:55 PM
I voted no but that doesn't count the McDonalds straws I use to hold screens.

anothernewb
08-07-2018, 01:00 PM
I have not personally shot my own chrono. But I was witness to one. Guy shows up at the range with a brand new one (no ide what kind though. nice kit though. Proceeds to set it up. line things up, and forgets that the scope is a few inches higher than the bore. Drilled it on the first shot. He never said a word. just looked at the carnage, paused for a moment. Then packed up his rifle and the pieces parts. Got in his truck and left.

10x
08-07-2018, 02:28 PM
You need more options. Such as multiple chronograph kills, multiple hits on the same chronograph, etc. I personally shot mine, twice, one round immediately after the other. Wasn't even a good group when you consider the fact that the chronograph was only ten feet away.

This is correct,
Not who has shot a chrono, but how many have folks shot.
I have only one, twice....

Beagle333
08-07-2018, 02:55 PM
I shot the screen rod on the second shot, on a new Chrony. I can't figure out why, because I would have had to be about 8 feet off the target to get that far over and hit that rod...... but yup.... I did it.

kayala
08-07-2018, 03:09 PM
I’ve shot my chrony on my 1st outing. 158gr slug went through rear sensor housing, surprisingly sensor survived and I was able to make a bracket and use that chrony for a while; until I put another slug dead center :) then there was prochrono which also died prematurely, so instead of buying another expensive target I’ve bought labradar - no more chrono shooting for me, no going down range for setup and can use it at my indoor club :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerbeans
08-07-2018, 03:33 PM
I have never put a boolit into my F1 but I have pounded on it real good with 45/40 sabots shot from a 45-120 smokeless CF rifle. I never used the metal shade rods, just bamboo skewers.

I think the reason I haven't shot my chrony is I don't shoot groups through it. I just concentrate on putting the shot aligned over the sensors. I am shooting into a tall backstop.

BB

Adam20
08-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Yes, was not fatal, rods got it once also

OldBearHair
08-07-2018, 03:49 PM
am44 mag I surely thought someone would suggest an addition to the title saying "on purpose".. Heh heh The way that I feel sometimes when after a shot (you really need to know how fast) the chrono still reads zero "H" zero " L" and zero "AVG" LOL

OldBearHair
08-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Did learn on this site (cast boolits.gunloads.com) somewhere about sometimes better results happen without the sunshades on like on cloudy dark days.

Greg G.
08-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Technically, no, but I cheated. Went to the range once with my brand new chrony. Line was hot so while I waited until line was safe I was watching the guy next to my bench shoot through his chrony, fourth shot that I saw him shoot went through the display. So I chickened out that day and built a holder for my chrony that had a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron in front of it with 2 old shot bags of sand in front of that. Set it up the next time I went and shot some .38 LSWC over it just to see how it worked. After about 15 rounds I did mange to shoot the sand bag, but saved the chrony. Don't use the holder anymore just more careful, so my time is coming I suppose.

xs11jack
08-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Took my brand new chrony to the range with my S&W .357 with some 125gr J-word hp pushed by Win 296. I screwed it in to a heavy camera tripod. First shot blew the rig over. Didn't learn a thing. Set it back up and fired the next shot right thorough the works. I got a new set of innards from a member here and it works well. But all the second time shooters have made me nervous and I am going to head to the shop and a piece of heavy steel plate I have laying around.
Ole Jack

gpidaho
08-07-2018, 09:50 PM
As I posted, I have upgraded to the LabRadar but just to be extra safe I built a screen that sits on the bench between the unit and the gun being fired. This is only used when there is a rifle on the rest that has one of those blow back muzzle breaks or heavy revolver loads that may spit lead sideways from the gap. Gp

osteodoc08
08-07-2018, 10:09 PM
I’ve hit mine with gas checks and B.B. gun. Now with a lab radar I don’t have to worry about that.

kungfustyle
08-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Well, I haven't yet, but on the first trip out, the range officer at our range wanted to test his 45 ACP loads in his revolver. I thought he must know what he is doing.... His first shot hit the overhead boards that should have been my clue. Thought for sure he was a Range officer and NRA certified.....He can't be that bad. Sure enough, next shot took out the two wires holding the sun screens in place. Last time someone else shoot through my Chrony. By the way he did pay for the wires. Yep, they are everywhere.

Papercidal
08-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Not yet

Mr_Sheesh
08-08-2018, 01:38 AM
I figure with a LabRadar if we get some of those magic bullets that fly in Z shaped paths, we're in trouble...

PbHurler
08-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Nope, I love the big window of the Oehler 35P!!

Smoke4320
08-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Guess i was lucky for many years owned a pack since they first came out. Finally sold it and bought a lab radar. Whole different world.
No worry about light, clouds, screens or shooting it :)

sghart3578
08-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Does the support bars for the sky screens count? If so, yes..........a lot.

Been there, done that.

SteveM
08-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Yep, I killed one. I was shooting a scoped 22lr and didn't take in to account the bore/scope height difference at such close range

trapper9260
08-08-2018, 10:58 AM
I have 3 times the 3rd time kill it. First 2 times was the bar and then the top of it and the 3rd was another time and kill it. Got a new one of half price. Should have more on the poll then it is.

bikerbeans
08-08-2018, 12:29 PM
This morning with a 350g .452" j-word from a RARR 450 BM. Chrony still works.

BB

Tripplebeards
08-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Me,me, meee! Lol

Never dinged it till I started this cast boolit adventure. I knicked the silver rods twice and knocked them out of the sockets. No real damage done other than one of the rods were a little bent and needed tweeking on my beta. I should order another set of aluminum rods for it...but then I'll jinx myself and shoot it. Wait it did wreck one and I have to soot threw a shorter window now. Anyone have any extra rods laying around from the ones that have been gut shot?

TCFAN
08-08-2018, 05:06 PM
My gas check shield on my chronograph was no match for a 45 acp at 10 feet

https://i.imgur.com/QKahrge.jpg

Camper64
08-08-2018, 08:06 PM
I've read were people are using wood dowels. One of my rods came up missing today after a 45 acp hit. I'm going to try them, makes sense too, the wood should just shatter upon impact.

Me,me, meee! Lol

Never dinged it till I started this cast boolit adventure. I knicked the silver rods twice and knocked them out of the sockets. No real damage done other than one of the rods were a little bent and needed tweeking on my beta. I should order another set of aluminum rods for it...but then I'll jinx myself and shoot it. Wait it did wreck one and I have to soot threw a shorter window now. Anyone have any extra rods laying around from the ones that have been gut shot?

Valley-Shooter
08-09-2018, 12:24 AM
You didn't write the poll correctly. It should have an option for "Have you ever shot your friends chrono?"

Been there done that. I was called the Chrono Killer for a couple of years.

Mr_Sheesh
08-09-2018, 05:24 AM
A Serial Chrono Killer, huh?

Tripplebeards
08-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Friends don't let friends shoot threw their chrony. I am the gatekeeper so I'm to blame. If someone wants to check their fps I do the shooting. Saves chronys and friendships.

groundpounder
08-09-2018, 10:35 AM
over the last 30 years I’ve managed to bag 3 chrono’s. Not a bad average at one per ten years. Last one was a month ago.

popper
08-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Is there a bag limit on chronies? Do they taste good with jalapeneos jelly?

yeahbub
08-09-2018, 12:28 PM
I've never done tha. . . well . . . kinda. . . sort of. OKAY! I put one right through the middle my Chrony a few years ago. Whew! I feel better now. But it wasn't my fault, you see. Tall sights, low barrel axis. . . Friends standing around watching me were a distraction. Sonic booms. . . . Earth tremors. . . . Moon was in the wrong phase. . . .

Currently working on shielding to protect the new Chrony against the mistakes of people who might do that. Again.

Harter66
08-09-2018, 01:53 PM
I got one with a probably a powder kernel , though it could have been fouling debris .

I've not shot a housing , rods or reader .

am44mag
08-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Well, I don't feel too bad about shooting mine now, lol. I'll have to look into one of those labradars.

Maineboy
08-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Shot mine with a 358008 boolit from my 35 Whelen. DRT.

ascast
08-11-2018, 11:18 AM
wax slugs from a 375 H&H full of Goex Cartridge grade black

500Linebaughbuck
08-11-2018, 04:12 PM
[smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:nope, not me!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

twicet.

David2011
08-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Not yet. I always use a good tripod and have a target out there. I started to shoot through without a target once and quickly changed my mind.

lightman
08-12-2018, 08:45 AM
I voted no. I hope that didn't jinx me!

PowPow
08-12-2018, 08:49 AM
I voted no. I hope that didn't jinx me!

I'm not superstitious, but in this case want to say, "yeah, me too!"

beechbum444
08-12-2018, 03:30 PM
I shared this thread with a friend of mine and he said something along the lines of " how do u shoot a chrono " he borrowd mine for a few days and then a new chronic arrived at my house...

jonp
08-12-2018, 03:57 PM
check out my thread " I got a new chrono. I shot my new chrono." First shot and it never worked right again.

Tripplebeards
08-12-2018, 06:02 PM
I learned after my boo boo to put it arms length max from my Muzzel so I'm sure it lines up. If it doesn't read I keep backing it away a foot at a time till it works properly.

Hootmix
08-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Never shot thru a chrono before ,, shot thru the wall of the house " once " .. guess that don't count ,,huh ??
I still get shaky when I think about it ,, and I think about it !!!
coffee's readddy ,,un signed .

atlas366
08-18-2018, 08:44 PM
I shot one of the rods for the sky screens just last week. It bent the rod, but it is still usable. The range was busy and I felt like an a**. I might try the wood dowel idea.