PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight for the wife

Bazoo
08-05-2018, 11:51 PM
I want a quality flashlight for the wife, something 20 bucks or less would be better, but i'd consider a little more. It'd be mostly for navigation and looking for stuff under the bed, we use our lights every single day however so its got to be better than those cheapos at walmart.

I carry a streamlight stylus pro constantly, she doesnt like the slenderness of it. She had a surefire E2E bout 5 years ago... problem is she lost it. Its too expensive, and the batteries are too expensive. She now has a couple cheap ones from lowes/walmart, the kind that are short and fat and takes 3 AAA batteries. They aint worth a daggum.

She wants the short fat profile, I want that it takes commonly available AAA batteries. So please suggest to me.

Only thing that i've found that might be suitable, is a microstream. Although its smaller, she might end up loving it.

osteodoc08
08-06-2018, 01:12 AM
What about a rechargeable? Both fenix and stream light make nice Recharge type. Yes they are more but you still get what you pay for as you’ve found out. I carry a streamlight stylus pro at work and love it but I’d she doesn’t like the smaller slender ones, that ones out. All of the other shorter fatter ones take CR123 type batteries that I use. All the other ones with AAA haven’t worked well or stood up to my abuse which really isn’t that harsh.

Bazoo
08-06-2018, 02:02 AM
Im not opposed to the rechargeable ones except that its convenient to use batteries. I can see it being dead whenever she needs it. Im thinking if I got her the microstream, the clip would win her over. She used to use the clip on the E2E a lot.

Unfortunately, style plays a factor for her. She sees a pretty lime green one in the store for 5 bucks and doesnt see why it wont work, after all its 5 times more than the 1 dollar light from walmart. However Im tired of wasting my money 5 times a year on cheapo lights.

smokeywolf
08-06-2018, 02:58 AM
We have found that it is less important to have one or two quality flashlights than it is to have a dozen mid-quality flashlights around the house.

Mr_Sheesh
08-06-2018, 06:42 AM
SO many good choices out there! Look on Fleabay or Amazon for either "UltraFire 7w 300lm" or "Q6M USB Rechargeable"for 2 decent ones - And there are many more. I have some of each, use the Q6M ones (Sort of a 180 degree flood, with 4 intensity settings and a strobe setting.) around the house for walking through at night (this apartment has zero light switches set where you'd THINK they would have them) and the UltraFire ones for camping (3 IIRC levels, focusable to either a flood or a tight beam. And a strobe setting.) You might also consider a head lamp, though the down side of those is that, should someone call your name, your normal response (looking at them) WILL destroy their night vision - Not ideal. I vastly prefer the rechargeables, but I have tiny Streamlight Nanos on my keychains (design flaw tho IMO, they will light up while in your pocket due to the keys touching them and turning them on) and some Coast G10's (iirc) that run off a single AAA battery for quite a while, to give more light. Then there's another light at the headboard of the bed in case that's needed. They're so cheap that you can afford a few, and put them where ever you think you'll need them; Just recharge them weekly or so.

Tatume
08-06-2018, 07:50 AM
I carry a Surefire 6P. Even though I use it quite often, the battery (two CR123A cells) produces useful life for more than a year.

RED BEAR
08-06-2018, 08:02 AM
I bought a load of cheap lights off eBay ( made in China ) . Had to order special batteries but the lights work great batteries last a long time and are rechargeable. The charger came with light . And for under 5 bucks you can't beat it. I couldn't be happier with them . Now have flashlights in every room car and in garage.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-06-2018, 09:14 AM
My wife and I carry Fenix LD12, clips into a pocket comfortably, very bright, pricey but no push the button 7 times spin around and jump up twice combinations for low or high or off, it can use a single standard AA, but Fenix also has a recharble Li-ion that doubles light output. Most of the smaller Mag-lites need 2 hands to turn on or off. Sometimes one hand operation is very desirable. By the door aare several lights but a an Energizer from Walmart is usually picked up because it is small and very bright, takes two AA.

Rick Hodges
08-06-2018, 09:39 AM
I buy AA battery powered flashlights. LED, and then use Eneloop rechargeable batteries. You still have the option of using regular alkalines. I purchased two of these off or fleabay for less than $2 a piece delivered, yes they are from China, have two levels of brightness and strobe feature with a press on tailcap switch. The lens focuses and is all I use for hunting, trailing at night etc. It uses one AA battery and will last in excess of 24 hours on bright beam. I change out batteries once a year before hunting season and they last all year.
They are over 5 years old and haven't failed me yet.

fecmech
08-06-2018, 10:34 AM
A +1 to Rick Hodges above. I love these little "zoomies". I use 3.7 volt rechargeable 4500 AA batteries in mine. With the beam focused I can light up a deer plain as day @ 100 yds. I bought 10 of them and gave them to my relatives to carry in their cars with AA batteries in them. Great emergency light. Can use either regular AA or Li-on AA, obviously about twice as bright with Li-on 3.7V. I've been using mine for a couple years with no problems. Everyone I've told about them loves them.
http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3-wc-120-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-black-1-aa-1-14500-39585#.W2hab_kvxQI

bob208
08-06-2018, 10:36 AM
last job we all carried Maglite flash lights. they take two AA batteries. can't break them with a hammer. they lived in water and apple juice. even used one in the pits at the race track. one even spent 2 races in the radiator of the race car. fished it out in the shop put new batteries in it and it works just fine.

Tatume
08-06-2018, 10:41 AM
I used to keep a Maglight that took three D-cells in my pickup truck. A cop told me that if the battery has more than two cells it could be considered a weapon. I don't think it would stand up before a judge, but still, why bother with the hassle? Now my big flashlights are limited to two-cell batteries.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Last year, I bought a couple packages of these on "closeout" at Walmart for $6
I'm surprised their website still lists them? at a good price IMHO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2PK-2-IN-1-Camping-Light-Aluminum-Flashlight-Combo/440114599?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227106767860&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=222611125818&wl4=aud-306997118081:pla-362004138399&wl5=9019601&wl6=&wl7=9023458&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=440114599&wl13=&veh=sem

The camp light is awesome for the price, uses AA batteries.

The small flashlight (uses 3 AAA) is a well built and small enough to be handy, it has a 80 lumin LED array, which is considerably more power than those $1 turd lights with 9 LEDs.

Honestly, even though it's larger, I bet once she uses that camplight a couple times, it'll become her favorite.

snowwolfe
08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Costco always has good buys on flashlights. LED’s, usually all aluminum construction and they take standard size batteries. Best of all one or two are usually on sale. It’s not unusual to find a 1000 lumen light for 10-15 bucks

MT Gianni
08-06-2018, 11:42 AM
A +1 to Rick Hodges above. I love these little "zoomies". I use 3.7 volt rechargeable 4500 AA batteries in mine. With the beam focused I can light up a deer plain as day @ 100 yds. I bought 10 of them and gave them to my relatives to carry in their cars with AA batteries in them. Great emergency light. Can use either regular AA or Li-on AA, obviously about twice as bright with Li-on 3.7V. I've been using mine for a couple years with no problems. Everyone I've told about them loves them.
http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3-wc-120-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-black-1-aa-1-14500-39585#.W2hab_kvxQI

No better value or use for a flashlight. I have bigger and brighter ones but you cannot beat this. Buy 10 and give some away.

birch
08-06-2018, 11:59 AM
I have been through them all...or mostly all....and I highly recommend a Fenix light with and cap on/off and 18650 battery. There are cheap rechargers and the batteries last a couple of months with normal use around the house.

They are perfect.

Mr_Sheesh
08-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Those (the ones Rick Hodges shows) look just like the ones I use, pretty nice lights! I haven't upgraded to Li-Ion batteries in mine, it's on the do list...

Tom W.
08-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Slyde is a good flashlight. It is really bright and can be extended to use as a lantern, and has the magnet on the base.
https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=456

DerekP Houston
08-06-2018, 12:22 PM
We have found that it is less important to have one or two quality flashlights than it is to have a dozen mid-quality flashlights around the house.

im of the same opinion with pocket knives in our house. Having one expensive one is nice and all, but having a dozen that are easy to find and accessible is even better. And I don't feel as bad when i damage the edge/blades.

http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3-wc-120-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-black-1-aa-1-14500-39585#.W2h129UzphF

That looks like a heck of a deal, at that price I'll give em a try.

Epd230
08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
I like the Bushnell series of flashlights. Make sure to get the aluminium one. I have several of them and have even mounted one on my AR to use as a weapon light.

bob208
08-06-2018, 12:46 PM
I have one of those three d battery Maglite's in my truck never heard anything about a weapon. now if you smash some deserving person with it. it mite be a weapon. but the other way you are going on could or maybe not intent. but then you are driving a 4,000 lb. wepon.

Grmps
08-06-2018, 01:49 PM
price is right and they work

https://i.imgur.com/Vg4fxz3.png

https://i.imgur.com/QYfB9Mc.png

https://i.imgur.com/M4qgTdX.png

don't forget this for when you buy something to get your free item
https://i.imgur.com/nFYSPaE.png?1

EMC45
08-06-2018, 02:25 PM
You already mentioned the 2 I was going to suggest - Streamlight Stylus Pro and Streamlight Microstream.

I carry the Microstream in my uniform shirt pocket and I think it is brighter than the Stylus Pro and they run on AAAs.

KenH
08-06-2018, 03:31 PM
Got a bunch of those HF flashlights laying around the house. Work great, and the price is right - especially with the 20% off coupon {g}

markshere2
08-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post

im of the same opinion with pocket knives in our house. Having one expensive one is nice and all, but having a dozen that are easy to find and accessible is even better. And I don't feel as bad when i damage the edge/blades.

http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3-wc-120-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-black-1-aa-1-14500-39585#.W2h129UzphF

That looks like a heck of a deal, at that price I'll give em a try.

I agree - I have lights in every room and every vehicle and many pockets

I buy a 5 pack from Amazon frequently.
http://a.co/he0eSpZ

I love the focus ring for spot or flood

RogerDat
08-06-2018, 04:47 PM
The small barrel flashlights that are often Free (or dirt cheap) from harbor freight are a good deal. The original batteries are cheap junk BUT you put a decent set of Alkaline batteries in them and they are really very good.

The blue ones suffer from the same batteries are really cheap. Having a battery undersized in diameter and length. BTW - that is why battery holders have spring at one end, there is no standard for length and the spring accommodates variation between manufactures. Only reason the barrel lights are better is portability and being metal. One of those blue plastic ones is on the fridge held in place by its magnetic back. I can always find at least that one :-) With the whole panel on it lights up a couple of rooms well enough to function in.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-06-2018, 07:34 PM
I picked this up a few months ago I like it a lot https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-E35UE-Flashlight-EdisonBright-Batteries/dp/B00IYB5QWO/ref=sr_1_34?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1533598349&sr=1-34&keywords=flashlight+fenix

Grmps
08-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Got a bunch of those HF flashlights laying around the house. Work great, and the price is right - especially with the 20% off coupon {g}

They make good holiday "extra" gifts for the grandkids and great grandkids.

BrassMagnet
08-06-2018, 08:32 PM
5 pack of Cree Q5

$3/each in the 5 pack, $14.98

1 AA or 1 Lithium, works well on 1 AA

https://smile.amazon.com/Flashlight-Adjustable-Zoomable-Q5-Tactical/dp/B01D8DRFFI/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1533601754&sr=8-13&keywords=cree+flashlight+5+pack

GhostHawk
08-06-2018, 09:15 PM
What's wrong with the cheap ones?

My first set came from evilbay, 5 flashlights, 5 chargers, 5 18650 2000 mah batterys, 5 adapters for 3 AAA batterys. All for under 20$ with shipping.

5 years later still have not had one die.

2 are mounted on shotguns where it is handy to reach forward and push the button.

Wife has one, I have one, gave one to my shooting buddy where he mounted on his shotgun.

I also have one of those cheap keychain jobs. Single AA battery, supposed to be good for 40 hours of light.
It is attached to my daily carry knife. Have to change the battery 2-3 times a year. It gets turned on every night, get me to my door, lock it, check lights all out, thence to the bathroom. Where it gets turned off till I need it again. I've carried it for 2 years. No fail, no harm, no foul.

I know I did not pay more than 10$ for it.

Yes you can spend as much as you like for high power fancy flashlights. But why?

Ohh and while I am on the subject. Harbor Freight carrys a blue oval multi LED flashlight for 2.50$.

Push button once and you the end LED like a flashlight. Turn it off, push it again, and the bank of I don't know how many LED's light up like a work light. Has a magnet, a hook. And when it dies, it takes standard batterys. Don't throw it away. Take out a couple of screws and swap em.

NyFirefighter357
08-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Pelican http://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/flashlights or Streamlight https://www.streamlight.com/ are both good "work" flashlights used by police/fire ect. as well as tradesman.

mattw
08-06-2018, 11:17 PM
I would really recommend this one...
https://www.amazon.com/ReyLight-Pineapple-Custom-Flashlight-Nichia/dp/B0746R313C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533611806&sr=8-1&keywords=reylight&dpID=41qdTJGSFuL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Not super bright, built like a tank and is an eye catcher.

fast ronnie
08-07-2018, 10:57 AM
I use 3 d cell Maglites with the led conversion. The standard bulbs eat batteries, but with led's they last a long time.I also have several of the small "free with any purchase" Harbor Freight ones. I keep a couple on the loading bench (for when I drop things like primers in the carpet) and one or two in the kitchen. They do work really well and the price is outstanding.

samari46
08-07-2018, 10:42 PM
Was given a couple 4 d cell maglights over 30 years ago. Out side of changing the batteries once a year and an occasional bulb they've never failed me. Also 2 d cell ones, a couple aa ones and one lone aaa light. Keep a few spare replacement bulbs around. Frank

Tatume
08-08-2018, 12:27 PM
My wife has a neat little flashlight that has two batteries. The two batteries are formed together in one cylindrical carrier that looks like the rotor in a rotary magazine. One battery is a single AAA cell, and the other consists of two AAA cells. The flashlight has a single red LED, and a battery of five white LEDs. The two cell battery operates the white LED flash, and a separate button runs the red LED on the single-cell battery. The flashlight is called a Coast PX20. It comes with a lifetime warranty for $30.

https://coastportland.com/product/px20/

I'm reminded of it because I just refreshed all the AAA cells for her, as she is going away on a trip tomorrow.

Duckiller
08-08-2018, 11:50 PM
I have had very poor luck with plastic AAA flash lights. I have had much better luck with metal AAA flashlights. Brand names that I have now are Tasco and Defiant. Both were probably bought at Sam,'s Club on a three pack card with batteries for about 20-30 $. I have a 4 cell AAA that kept draining batteries and the last set of battteries leaked in the light. It doesn't work and will go into the trash tonight. Duracell by name. Wife has a 4 cell AAA that works great m,Blue Max by name. I have a 3 cell C light that works great, Durecell. Wife has a 3 cell D light That we got from Harbor Tool. The brand is Gordon and it was much cheaper than Mag Light. Three AAAcells are great around the house. If you go hunting or fishing take spare batteries. Several years ago brother and I went down a steep bank to go Salmon fishing in the Manistee River in northern Mi. Caught a couple of fish and were leaving well after dark. Started out with a nice bright light. About 1/3 way up my bright light got very very dim. Star light and this dim flash light got up back to the truck without too much damage. I can never rembember when I last change batteries or how much I have used It so now when ever outside I carry a spare set of cheap batteries in my pocket. Dollar store or 99cent store have cheap batteries.

GL49
08-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Rayovac DIY3AAA-B.
So far I haven't been able to break one of these, they issue them at work to the maintenance personnel. Ten bucks if you look in the right places, best 3-AAA I've used.

Les Staley
08-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Napa auto parts stores is selling a very powerful aluminum rechargeable led light for $19.99. Called "Blue Fuel". Focusable beam good enough to spotlight a deer at over 100 yds. I don't often make impulse buys, but this quality little light nailed me!

Bazoo
08-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Some i've never heard of. Some... i'd forgotten about. Interesting suggestions.

She has several cheap lights... they all flicker occasionally. They get a bump and sometimes straighten up and sometimes not. I forgot about the good ol' maglite. I have a 2 AA that has seen some abuse, and she had one before the house burnt down. I have a 3D maglite too, tough as all get out.

Idaho45guy
08-10-2018, 01:20 PM
I know it doesn't meet your criteria, but I just bought one of these yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/YAOMING-Taclight-Lantern-Flashlight-Magnetic/dp/B07CYRPYN1/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533921410&sr=8-5&keywords=taclight+elite+flashlight+with+builtin+la ntern

My brother and I were camping and he was using this light. The magnetic base and ability to turn it into a lantern is what sold me. The built in SOS flash and use of AAA batteries hooked me.

David2011
08-12-2018, 12:30 AM
A little off topic but I have to tell you about the worklight I got at Harbor Freight. It was triangular, had a magnet on the back and would illuminate white or red. I used it in my hunting blind on red when it was dark. Loved it. At 100 yards you would have to look very hard to see that it was on in the blind but we only used it when we first arrived to get settled.

rking22
08-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Depending on the light, could be a good trade.......
Sorry, been fighting the urge to post here every time i see the title....just gave in todsy...
Carry on