PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy Question on the Ruger #1 Action

pertnear
08-04-2018, 11:48 AM
One of my favorite rifles is a custom Ruger #2. For those unfamiliar, a Ruger #2 is a #3 that has been upgraded with #1 wood. Just in case anyone was wondering, when I originally bought the #3, it already had been rebarreled & modified, thus nullifying any collector value. I’ve always noticed that the firing pin strikes on the primers were off-center. Not a big deal since it doesn’t seem to effect the function, reliability or accuracy. But as of late, I’ve been developing some new loads & I started experimenting with indexing the cartridge in the chamber. I noticed that the primer indent was always low relative to the vertical centerline. Either the breech block is drilled low or the block is not being raised high enough when the action is closed. A call to Ruger was not very helpful since the rifle is not original & they no longer support #3’s. Their only recommendation was to try factory ammo. Duh! They did verify that the breech blocks & mechanisms were identical for #3’s & #1’s. You can click on pictures below for an expanded view.

So here’s my question for Ruger #1/#3 mechanics. Are there any parts or wear areas in the mechanism that could cause the action to close .006 too high?

As always, TIA for any comments or suggestions.

oldlongbeard
08-04-2018, 05:05 PM
It's the barrel.... and if it always fires, I would stop looking at those primer hits before you punch them out ;-)

Greg in West Mitten

William Yanda
08-04-2018, 08:10 PM
".006 too high" I question your math. If the strike were that much higher, it would be .003 above center, no?
I think you mean .003 too high.
Respectfully,
Bill

country gent
08-04-2018, 09:14 PM
The link from block to lever controls this. you look to be low so there may have been some "fitting" done at some point or wear in the joint. As long as its functioning and firing not having the disconnector block pin movement your good to go

Texas by God
08-04-2018, 10:51 PM
I had a Win .218 Bee that the barrel had been set back to clean up a gouged chamber. It struck the primers farther out than yours; it always went bang and was a tack driver to boot. Nice rifle in a great little cartridge!

pertnear
08-05-2018, 09:17 AM
".006 too high" I question your math. If the strike were that much higher, it would be .003 above center, no?
I think you mean .003 too high.
Respectfully,
Bill

Yeah, your right, my mistake. Thanks!

Since I've owned the action, it has gone through 2 different barrels & the rifle always exhibited the same off-center primer strikes. I've always blamed Ruger for drilling the breech block badly & poor QC. Only recently have I discovered that the alignment is on the vertical plane indicating that maybe the block is not lifting high enough. I was hoping someone had solved a similar problem & would say they tighten or replace such-n-such part to fix it right up. I guess I'll take oldlongbeard advice & just quit looking at the primers before punchin' 'em out! :grin:

Thanks everyone for your comments.

upnorthwis
08-05-2018, 09:40 AM
I bought a replica High-Wall from one of the Montana manufacturers that the firing pin hit .045 off center. Would misfire about one out of three. I would rotate the shell to a different location and try it again. Had one that took four hits before firing. To their credit they fixed it on their dime. As long as your rifle goes bang I wouldn't worry about it.

Texas by God
08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I adjusted an IAC 74 Sharps for this. The breech block needed a little more up to line up enough to fire.

Bent Ramrod
08-05-2018, 10:51 AM
It’s my understanding from reading Frank deHaas is that the Ruger #1/3 were “loose-breeched,” i.e., there was appreciable space between breech end of barrel and breechblock, which was taken up by chambering shallow enough so the end of the cartridge made up the headspace difference. A rebarrel job with a tighter fit between block and barrel might not allow the block to go up as high, making the firing pin strike slightly low.

My original #1 in 7mm and #3 in .22 Hornet both have the strikes in the center of the primers.

hpdrifter
08-05-2018, 11:19 AM
I guess I'm confused. I thought the firing pin was in the breech block.

If it was raised too high, wouldn't the firing pin be too high also?

pertnear
08-05-2018, 01:41 PM
I guess I'm confused. I thought the firing pin was in the breech block.

If it was raised too high, wouldn't the firing pin be too high also?

That is correct. I apologize for creating my own confusion!

Reverend Recoil
08-05-2018, 09:20 PM
I think your fired primers are normal. The fire primers of my rifle look the same as yours. Look at the drawing on page eight of the Ruger owner's manual. The Ruger No.1 firing pin is tipped up at a slight angle to the bore.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/ruger_no1.pdf