PDA

View Full Version : 1886 Levergun Shots Walking

Old-Win
08-03-2018, 07:11 PM
We had a gong match last weekend with temps in the 80's and bright sun. When shooting a string at the 300 yd targets, several of us had the same problem. Two of us were shooting new 86's and one was shooting his original. As the barrels started heating up, accuracy went to pot. Do any of you have a known fix and had the same problems? Is the hot barrel binding up with the mag tube? Could it be the forearm wood binding up? Looking for some answers before just trying things out. I know these rifles were only meant to fire a few shots at once but our matches call for a string of ten. Thanks.

indian joe
08-03-2018, 09:09 PM
We had a gong match last weekend with temps in the 80's and bright sun. When shooting a string at the 300 yd targets, several of us had the same problem. Two of us were shooting new 86's and one was shooting his original. As the barrels started heating up, accuracy went to pot. Do any of you have a known fix and had the same problems? Is the hot barrel binding up with the mag tube? Could it be the forearm wood binding up? Looking for some answers before just trying things out. I know these rifles were only meant to fire a few shots at once but our matches call for a string of ten. Thanks.

probably all of the above - I have a uberti 76 (45/75) doing it and a OFW 94 (38/55) that doesnt - have not touched either yet - the Uberti just walks em up about 4inches at 100yards - it settles after a couple or three shots and will shoot a good group hot - the 94 is built different, the forward magazine hanger is not dovetailed into the barrel like I was used to on winchesters (I didnt spot this for a long time) the Uberti has the original winchester style round dovetail hanger that is a tight fit - have to remove the pin through the tube - move the tube forward through the hanger some then rotate the whole thing to get the dovetail fitting apart - that system ties the magazine tube tight to the barrel at the forward end - compare to the 94 it has a similar looking hanger and is pinned to the tube but the barrel is just a straight slot milled through and the hanger works like a recoil lug it keeps the tube in but its not tied tight to the barrel there is a screw throught the magazine end plug into a hole under side of the barrel that keeps the tube from moving sideways but again its not tied up tight - when I first figured this out I thought yeah! they cheapskated manufacturing - but maybe they knew what they were doin ? this one shoots great - one of the few full magazine guns I have had that puts the whole tube on POA. So pull it down, make sure no interference between forend wood and magazine tube, make sure the forend cap is firm and true (there has to be contact someplace to hold that magazine tube in place - but want that contact to be consistent) if there is a little slack or sloppy at the front end without interfering with function I think that is a good rather than a bad thing --- lots of info (used to be) on paco kelley's levergun site about accurising magazine guns. some of that might help. The other thing maybe to do is shoot it lots at 100yards and get used to what its doing if you can get it to walk up consistently and settle when its warm - holding under might work. If it is splattering em all over as it warms there is something amiss I reckon can be worked on.

Bird
08-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Is it a rifle or is it a carbine? What powder and load are you using? How long to you have to shoot a string of 10?

Old-Win
08-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the comments. Joe, I found the Paco Kelly chapter on accurizing the lever gun. His comments on dovetailing a block in the barrel for holding the mag tube and filing a notch in the barrel and putting a piece of drill rod in it after relieving the forearm wood, are probably last resort things that I would do. I probably should not have used the word "walking" in my post as it is more like spraying bullets after about 6 or 7 shots. The thin barrel walls probably have something to do with it as it heats very rapidly. A good trigger job would definately help.
At the range, it shoots quite well at 200yds as I can control the pace of the shots. When you say you have a POW 94 in 38-55, is that one of the new Winchester productions with angle eject?
Bird, two are newer production Winchester 86 rifles with pistol grips. I was shooting black and a friend was shooting smokeless. I've shot smokeless as well and noticed the same thing. If I stop and let the barrel cool down, then when I go back to shooting, I need to have sighters again as my POI has changed.

indian joe
08-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the comments. Joe, I found the Paco Kelly chapter on accurizing the lever gun. His comments on dovetailing a block in the barrel for holding the mag tube and filing a notch in the barrel and putting a piece of drill rod in it after relieving the forearm wood, are probably last resort things that I would do. I probably should not have used the word "walking" in my post as it is more like spraying bullets after about 6 or 7 shots. The thin barrel walls probably have something to do with it as it heats very rapidly. A good trigger job would definately help.
At the range, it shoots quite well at 200yds as I can control the pace of the shots. When you say you have a POW 94 in 38-55, is that one of the new Winchester productions with angle eject?
Bird, two are newer production Winchester 86 rifles with pistol grips. I was shooting black and a friend was shooting smokeless. I've shot smokeless as well and noticed the same thing. If I stop and let the barrel cool down, then when I go back to shooting, I need to have sighters again as my POI has changed.

My 94 is an Oliver F Winchester commemorative - made ? before angle eject - had it for many years before I figured the setup of the magazine hanger was different
Sounds like your 86 is shooting much like my 76 Uberti - two or three sighters to warm it up then shoot steady and its all good - mine is consistent tho POI cold doesnt change over time - and then it just walks up the target as it warms - have not shot it hard enough to get it really hot either.