PDA

View Full Version : NOE Molds

Slim Chance
08-03-2018, 02:27 PM
I saw a reference to NOE molds on this forum and looked at their website. What I saw looks good, bit I wanted opinions from anyone here who may have owned and used them. I was impressed that a top punch can be ordered at little cost.

mattw
08-03-2018, 02:34 PM
They are very good. You will need to learn to keep the pins hot when you cast. I use a small torch.

Slim Chance
08-03-2018, 03:02 PM
That is new to me. Why is that?

Grmps
08-03-2018, 03:07 PM
They cast great! I haven't had any problems with the pins. I lube them regularly with the mold lube they sell (synthetic 2-stroke mixing oil)(stihl is good).
I use a Needle Tip Glue Bottle Applicator /Precision Oiler for the sprue screw and have eliminated any overflow into the cavities being able to precisely apply a small drop, then I put a couple drops on a q-tip and lube the pins, mold top and sprue plate with the first cast each session/casting pot full of lead.
https://i.imgur.com/YDbB74o.png

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_18?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=needle+tip+bottles&sprefix=needle+tip++bottle%2Carts-crafts%2C214&crid=26MLOO5LLL6PT

needle tip bottles https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_18?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=needle+tip+bottles&sprefix=needle+tip++bottle%2Carts-crafts%2C214&crid=26MLOO5LLL6PT

the Lee commercial 6 cavity handle work on NOE molds

I don't feel the need for HP molds. The few I have I use a #2 carpenters pencil and coat the pins with graphite/pencil lead

toallmy
08-03-2018, 03:09 PM
He meant the pins to cast hollow point cast boolits I think , but I may be mistaken . As far as NOE molds quality it's top notch I only have a few but they are exactly what I hoped for when I purchased them , beautiful boollits drop from them every time I use them .:-P

Slim Chance
08-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the replies.

toallmy
08-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Grmps may I ask where you get those needle point oil bottles ? That seems like a nifty little oil bottle .

gwpercle
08-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Now I been casting for 51 years and I am really tight with a dollar. Lyman and Herters moulds until Lee came out with their $9.99 single cavity with handles..... a tightwads dream come true !
Lyman started getting expensive , ebay allowed some cheap used Lyman moulds but bidders sometime went insane and drove the price out of sight.
Joined this site and kept hearing about NOE and other "premium" makers and how good they are.
I'm big time skeptic...yeah right , just how much better can they be !
Wife wants to buy me Christmas present and I decide to check out one these high priced premium moulds. Using a lot of Lee 124 gr. TC 9mm boolits , in a 2 cavity mould.
I order a NOE 358-124-TC Gas Check design , 4 cavity, aluminum, cost is $92.00 !!!!!!
Wife buys it for me....

Is it worth the Money.....Every Red Cent , the only problem is they spoil you.
I got the first in 2014 and every year I get another one or two...they are that good.

The Gas Checked 124 TC ....it drops .358. Run it through .358 lube/sizer and it's a great 357 magnum boolit. Size .357 , its a great 9mm boolit. I can cast them soft , drive them fast and still get no leading...I love it. I find a soft boolit just as effective as a hollow point in 9mm , 38 special and 357 magnum also easier to cast .

They are habit forming...I have warned you !
NOE also has several other neat tools , seating stems , expanders ...

Gary

gpidaho
08-03-2018, 03:15 PM
I'm a NOE $1,000 member times two. You might say I like them. Also, all the Noe tooling I own is top notch. I put a VERY small amount of dielectric silicon grease on the HP pins while they are hot. Bullets drop right off. Gp

Rcmaveric
08-03-2018, 03:46 PM
I own two NOE molds. If i cant find it in Lee, i go look at NOE. Their molds are great and work great. You wont be sorry. I also have a lot of their tools. The only bad thing to have happened is my Lyman lubersizer handle fell with their top punch in and crushed the cup. So, i am out that 5 bucks. So be carefull and don't abuse the top punch. It was a perfect fit though. It appears to machined from aluminum and not steel. No big deal i have other top punches i can fill with hot glue.

Reddirt62
08-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Love them...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180803/3021f2b792b3ac03d2114307d098e0e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tazman
08-03-2018, 04:48 PM
I can't begin to tell you how many NOE molds I have owned and used over the years. They are invariably great.
I have no reservations recommending them to anyone.

WALLNUTT
08-03-2018, 05:21 PM
If you go by value vs raw price NOE are no more costly than any mass produced mould.

JMax
08-03-2018, 05:45 PM
I have owned SAECO, RCBS, Lyman and H&G (still wish I kept them) but I own and use several NOE molds in 6.5mm, several 30 cal and a 45-70.

Wheelguns 1961
08-03-2018, 06:40 PM
I was reading this thread, and decided to order one. Today is my birthday, and I couldn’t decide what to get myself. You guys made it easy.

tazman
08-03-2018, 09:13 PM
I was reading this thread, and decided to order one. Today is my birthday, and I couldn’t decide what to get myself. You guys made it easy.

Happy birthday. You will enjoy the mold.

rancher1913
08-03-2018, 09:23 PM
their teaser emails on sales have sold me more than a few. there is no such thing as having to many molds.

mattw
08-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Exactly what I meant. Replied on phone, should not do that, I was to brief.

He meant the pins to cast hollow point cast boolits I think , but I may be mistaken . As far as NOE molds quality it's top notch I only have a few but they are exactly what I hoped for when I purchased them , beautiful boollits drop from them every time I use them .:-P

am44mag
08-03-2018, 09:36 PM
I recently bought my first NOE mold, and it's the only mold I have ever paid more than $40 for. Every other mold I have is a LEE mold.

I'm already starting to plan on how I'm going to replace all of my LEE molds with only a few exceptions. The level of quality you get from NOE is amazing. They cast like butter and drop free without needing any encouragement unlike my LEEs.

Slim Chance
08-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks! Looks like I will become a customer. I understand full well about paying for quality. My Snap On tools are still going strong after 30 years of use.

Walks
08-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Got my 1st N.O.E. mold out of the New Year's sale. Have cast about 3500 bullets so far. IT'S FANTASTIC.

Needle oiler bottles come ina 3 pack from BROWNELLS.

Wheelguns 1961
08-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Happy birthday. You will enjoy the mold.

Thank you Sir!

Slim Chance
08-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Mold is ordered. A four cavity was only $6 more than a three cavity. No brainer on that one. Also ordered a top punch. Now I'm not sure if large Lyman handles will fit.

Minerat
08-03-2018, 10:13 PM
They will. So will lee.

lksmith
08-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Excellent molds. MP Molds is another top notch mold maker.
For HP molds I prefer the cramer style over the rg style, but that is just my personal preference.
In my opinion you can't go wrong with either.
Not really any more expensive than Lyman, RCBS, etc and I think better quality

lksmith
08-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah, the best thing about NOE and MP is that they are active on the forums here in the group buy section for mold designs that benefit from the massive knowledge on this site.

I have been able to make dead soft hollowpoints, powdercoat, and treat them like j-words (GC may or may not be needed depending on caliber) with no leading and have gotten results on par with the best store bough projectiles. My 130gr RG mold from NOE gives 1.5-2x expansion and near 100% weight retention (132.0gr before, 131.8gr recovered)

SciFiJim
08-03-2018, 11:50 PM
NOE got started on here doing group buy molds in I think 2009. I was the honco on the first group buy. Al (the owner) has consistently turned out a very superior product. He has also stood behind his products and quickly fixed the very few problems that occur. Your mold buying dollars can not be spent in a better place.

Taterhead
08-04-2018, 01:19 AM
I have a budding mold collection. 2 of them are NOE. They are nice molds and a good value. I do really appreciate some of their innovative non-mold products like their bullet sizing dies/bushings and M expander plugs.

Beagle333
08-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Great molds. Preheat the mold, put pencil lead on the pins if using HP molds, and cast fast enough to keep the mold and pins hot. Enjoy the pile of boolits!!

RogerDat
08-04-2018, 02:49 AM
Excellent product, for a good price. World beats a path to your doorstep. I use Lee for several "common" calibers and weights. Great price + decent function = good value. I buy NOE for the special uses, heavy .224 for a fast twist. Touch oversized for an old 303 Enfield. Hollow Base .38 mold just because. Sizes that fit case and magazine better such as .32 acp that was a group buy. Or profiles Lee doesn't provide. I do have a couple Lyman for the same reason. Wanted the profile Lyman had, but they have been used. NOE higher price + better quality = still good value.

I like the NOE 4 cavity molds. Good balance between weight and productivity. I like the set screw that locks the sprue plate screw in place so sprue plate doesn't loosen. I like that I can use fairly inexpensive Lee 6 cavity handles. I like the ability to get a mold that has GC and Plain Base in same mold. Do wish I could get single PB cavity with 3 GC cavities. Be nice for plinking with PB and not needing to fuss with GC or as a fall back if gas checks weren't available. Typically the mixed molds are 2 cavities of each which is still good.

tazman
08-04-2018, 06:58 AM
Mold is ordered. A four cavity was only $6 more than a three cavity. No brainer on that one. Also ordered a top punch. Now I'm not sure if large Lyman handles will fit.

Most people use the Lee 6 cavity handles with them. They work well and are less expensive.

Green Frog
08-04-2018, 08:16 AM
My first NOE mould was a group buy copy of the old Ideal™ 3118. At 115 grains nominal the original was about perfect for 32-20, 32 H&R, and even 32 S&W Longs for larger frame guns (no break tops.) The NOE version is numbered 314008 and my example consistently drops a 125 grain bullet that is a little too heavy for most of the "old" purposes but is absolutely perfect for the two 327 FM revolvers I got at about the same time the mould came. It's one of the few aluminum moulds I own, so I have to be a little more gentle with it, but it is a fine product and when used the way it likes to be used, it produces consistently fine bullets.

Froggie

richhodg66
08-04-2018, 10:41 AM
They are the best. I used to be a die hard believer in iron molds, but for a little more than the cost of a Lyman or RCBS two cavity, you can have a four cavity NOE that casts better. And have a lot more variety of designs to choose from. I have several of theirs now and doubt I'd ever buy a new mold from Lyman or RCBS now.

wendyj
08-04-2018, 12:19 PM
In last month I've bought a 4 cavity 45 colt and a 2 cavity 45-70. Al is really helpful with alloys you are using. I really like mine. Got a great deal on the 4-70 on 4th of July sale. Shipping is fast and tight. After using Lee mils I went from a Pinto to a Maserati.

Rick Hodges
08-04-2018, 12:54 PM
I own two NOE aluminum molds...a 234gr. 44, and a .92gr 380 boolet….both molds are excellent. I own quite a few Lee, one RCBS and one Mountain Mold.....the NOE's are by far my favorites to cast with. I will buy more.

Smk SHoe
08-04-2018, 02:34 PM
My first NOE mold, Al sent me a message and cancelled the order. He then called me and stated that the remarks I made when I ordered wouldn't work with that mold. We talked for a couple minutes while he figured out what I really needed ( not what I thought I needed). Have been a happy customer ever since. IIRC, I have a 22 cal, 30 cal, 6mm, 6.5 cal, .45 cal x 2, and a 9mm mold. Every mold casts beautiful bullets. NOE is the first place I go when I have a new caliber to play with.

murf205
08-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Most people use the Lee 6 cavity handles with them. They work well and are less expensive.
Slim, the NOE and Accurate molds I have are the best molds I have ever used in almost 40 yrs of casting--period. Al makes a mold for about the same $ as a Lyman and it dwarfs the Lyman in performance. As far as using Lee 6 cavity handles, they work fine but the wood will loosen up after a while unless you drill and tap and put a screw in them. I use an 8-32.

Slim Chance
08-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Haven't had a handle issue yet, but I like that solution. I ordered a wadcutter mold for the 32s. Should be perfect for the 32 long Smith. Probably see some use in the 32 H&R.

Mr_Sheesh
08-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Definitely lots of smart solutions on here. (I just need a solution for bad knees, LOL) I do get lots of reminders of things I used to know and see good new solutions. ALWAYS more than one way to fix an issue, it's like building a bridge - For foot traffic, concrete and bamboo and wood and metal all work just fine :)

gpidaho
08-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Slim Chance: The Noe 313-89-WC-BE4 is a favorite of mine in both my 32-20 Colt revolver and my 32 S&W H&R revolver It's the RG-2 that gives the cup point and hollow point choice plus the button nose. One of many great Noe moulds on the shelf. Gp

RogerDat
08-06-2018, 03:46 PM
You can also pull the mold handle off, and put some JB Weld inside the hole, then press on and smooth the excess around the ferrule. Works well, is easy, and doesn't require a tap for those that don't have them. Not as elegant as tapping the mold handle tang but gits-er-done.

JB Weld perfect for those times when WD-40 is the wrong choice :-)

tazman
08-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Slim, the NOE and Accurate molds I have are the best molds I have ever used in almost 40 yrs of casting--period. Al makes a mold for about the same $ as a Lyman and it dwarfs the Lyman in performance. As far as using Lee 6 cavity handles, they work fine but the wood will loosen up after a while unless you drill and tap and put a screw in them. I use an 8-32.

Mine loosen up once in a while as well. That's just one of the things I keep an eye on during casting. When they begin to come loose, I just give them a tap on the end of the wood handle and it tightens right back up. Never considered it a problem.

Taterhead
08-09-2018, 12:42 AM
While we're on the topic of mold handles in the NOE thread, I can say for certain that the NOE handles are top quality! I've yet to have the handles fall off, unlike both handles that fell off my first casting session with my only set of Lee 6 cavity handles. Give credit to NOE for a great product. Far more costly, but I think I'll still be enjoying them for decades to come.

Slim Chance
08-09-2018, 05:06 PM
My mold arrived today. Looks very well made. I should have a chance to cast with it this weekend.

marlin39a
08-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Noe makes great molds, made in the USA, not Croatia. I keep my money here.