PDA

View Full Version : Hot & Sweet

Tatume
08-03-2018, 07:49 AM

Sweet cucumber pickles with red, ripe jalapenos and yellow habaneros.

Bohica793
08-03-2018, 08:40 AM
I prefer hot and dill but those look good.

Tatume
08-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Hmmm. Dill pickles are even easier than sweet. I'll try some in my next batch.

Reverend Al
08-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Oh sure ... tease us with some photos, but you don't include your recipe? Not fair ... not fair at all!

toallmy
08-03-2018, 03:38 PM
They look pretty and yummy , I had a really nice lady bring me by some sweet picked beats yesterday from her garden , and I almost ate the first pint by myself .

gwpercle
08-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Recipe ? What recipe ? We ain't got no recipe..We don't need no stinking recipes !

I can't post photo's (forgot how) but I always give my recipes out .

Gary

buckwheatpaul
08-03-2018, 03:42 PM
I think a riot is in the making! You need to share the recipe or we will hunt you down! All kidding aside....looks great! Please share.....Paul

Tatume
08-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Sweet Cucumber & Jalapeno Peppers

2 quarts of cucumbers & peppers
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
Pickling salt

1. Bring sugar, vinegar, and water to boil, let simmer until cucumbers and peppers are cut.
2. Wearing gloves, slice jalapenos in thick slices.
3. After boiling jars and lids, cold pack jars with cucumbers and peppers.
4. Pour sugar solution over cucumbers and peppers.
5. Place jars in a low boiling water bath. As cucumbers and peppers heat, they will shrink. Keep adding more to jars, mashing down with a spoon, until you are satisfied they are packed to max (below neck).
6. Add 1 teaspoon pickling salt per quart, or 1/2 teaspoon to pint on top of packed cucumbers and peppers.
7. Wipe excess sugar solution off top of jars and necks. Place domes on, and rings finger tight. Low boil in bath for 17 minutes.
8. Remove jars, and hold with towel, tighten, and wait for the popping of the lids!
Notes: Best if cured for 1 month.
Make sure rings are dry before placing on jars, so there will be no rusting.

P.s. I like to add a heaping spoonful of commercial bread and butter pickling spice. Thinly sliced onions are also a wonderful addition. Okra, green beans, and paste tomato halves are good too; just throw in as much as you want.

gwpercle
08-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Thanks Tatume !
I had planned to pick a bunch of jalapeno's in the morning , going to do some Sweet Pickled Jalapenos's now. Last batch I did regular ....not sweet , this batch going to be SWEET !
Gary

Tatume
08-03-2018, 06:07 PM
You can vary the proportion of cucumber to pepper from 1:0 to 0:1. Any ratio works.

Reverend Al
08-03-2018, 07:28 PM
OK, thanks for the recipe! Copied and saved plus a copy printed off to go into my ringbinder cookbook ...

:)

SciFiJim
08-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Very close to Cowboy Candy. I put up 4 pints today. The recipe calls for just jalapenos, but I added a habanero to each jar.
The recipe calls for 4 cups of sugar and no water. I used 3 1/2 pounds of jalapenos after trimming tops to make 4 pints. It seems like there is no way the peppers will fit in those jars, but they cook down a bit in volume.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so will only post the link to where I found the recipe.
Candied Jalapenos (https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/candied-jalapenos/)

shaner
08-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Looking good

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

buckwheatpaul
08-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Thank you sir! I hope mine will come out as good lookin'!

gwpercle
08-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Tatume , Just finished putting up 6 pints of Sweet & Hot Jalapenos , the bushes were loaded.

I tried something , had a bunch of small jalapenos , 3/4 to 1 inch long , to tedious to slice -to many to toss . So I put a slit in each pepper and did two jars .
Dad Gum It.....I just realized I forgot to add the pickling spice to the jars...I wanted to try that but forget to get it out the pantry....I'll do it next time.
Thanks for the recipe,
Gary