PDA

View Full Version : Round ball cherry

Flinchrock
09-21-2008, 07:34 AM
How to cut the flutes?? Anyone have any photo's
Any info much appreciated.

deltaenterprizes
09-21-2008, 08:05 AM
If you go to the "Testing Forum" and look for Duke Nukem's post on "Mould buy sell section?" in the 11 th post there is a list of links,go to the one for "Paul Jones Designs" there is a pic of a cherry,if you click on "cherrys" there is a pic from a different angle.

What size round ball? Some people use a ball end mill and do one half at a time,not perfect but sure is a lot easier than making a cherry.

Southron Sanders
09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
One of the gunsmith books I have recommends filing spiral flutes in the cherry and then sharpening the cutting edge of them with a stone. This is the "old fashioned" method as modern CNC machinery can make a perfect round ball mould when programmed correctley.

44man
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Lots of hand work! [smilie=1: The old timers included a mold with their rifles and cut the blocks in a vise with a brace and bit. The cherry was hand made.
Goes to show how good the old timers were and how we have slipped to depend on machines. All they needed was a forge, hammer, files and smarts. They even had to make files by hand.
I envy their talent.
I even read of a gunsmith that used a water wheel to rifle barrels. The machine self indexed and self adjusted so he could go to bed and wake up to a finished barrel.