PDA

View Full Version : Quick afternoon WW score!!

Hotrod99
07-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Took a chance and stopped by a tire shop today... asked if they had and lead. Next thing I know they are loading two over flowing 5gal buckets into my van.

3 guys... $20 spot each.

guessing it's well over 300lbs total... including clips and zinc. hoping for at least 200-250 lead. 8-)

lightman
07-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Nice Score. I would guess 140# or so in each bucket. Hoping the yield is good for you. If you don't know about sorting weights check out the stickies. Separate the stick ons from the clip ons and remove the trash, zinc and steel. If you miss a steel weight it won't hurt as steel won't melt at lead temps. If you miss a zinc weight or two it won't hurt either but the less zinc the better. Good Going!

montanamike
07-31-2018, 12:12 AM
Some of the older weights I have with a little steel zinc in them average about 70% lead. Hopefully you have the same ratio.

Hotrod99
07-31-2018, 08:25 AM
I'll be sorting this weekend... :Fire:

Anyone interested in a start to finish thread? pictures and weights of the sorting, and smelting? I'm sure someone has already done it.. but it may provide good info... ???

Jesse

Dusty Bannister
07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Keep it on this thread. Once the new thread is started, there is no connection. It is all the same event so keep it simple.

gwpercle
07-31-2018, 06:39 PM
Bring a case of cold beer next time you go.....those boy's will be calling you when they get a bucket loaded.

Wag
08-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Lucky! I can't get any of the locals to give it up to me. They prefer to sell it to the local scrap yards instead. Can't figure out why because I always offer more.....

--Wag--

Hotrod99
08-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Ok... started the sort. Have to work slow... I'm rehabbing a broken back...

First weigh in came out like this:
71lbs total
49% - 35lbs lead COWW
20% - 14lbs lead stick-ons
31% - 22lbs trash (zinc, steel, ect)

Do these numbers line up with what others are seeing around the US?

lightman
08-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Yeah, pretty close.

Hossfly
08-03-2018, 11:36 PM
Was that for one full 5 gallon bucket?

Hotrod99
08-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Was that for one full 5 gallon bucket?

No, maybe half of one. I'll post the number as I go.

Hossfly
08-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Just wondering, I’m sorting 4 buckets, started this evening, that is back breaking work. You got a good deal at $40 for 2 buckets. I paid $30 per and with the amount of zinc, steel and junk I’m finding this my be my last.

lightman
08-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Looking at the original post it looks like $60 for 2 buckets. Still pretty good if the yield continues as it started.

When I sort weights I dump them out on a flat surface and sit down by them. Then I'll start "cherry picking". I'll start looking for the trash first. Then the stick-ons. Then the steel weights. Then I have the zinc and lead left to separate out. After a few buckets you kind of get the feel for it and it goes faster. I sorted 60 something buckets last winter and spring. Take your time, you don't have to do it all at once.

Hotrod99
08-04-2018, 08:21 PM
You are correct, I paid $60 for 2 very full buckets. I used your sort method today... wow... so much more easy! Right now it is looking like about 50% lead COWW's 10-15% stick-ons and the rest junk. I'll post the final number soon.

When i melt them down should I mix in the stick-ons or keep them apart?

Thanks!!

Hossfly
08-04-2018, 08:26 PM
That’s what i did at first in my big shop then it got too hot. Now in tack room with fan and a/c much better. Just a few hours each day bout all i can stand. One of these buckets must be very old cause there’s a lot of long weights and few zinc. Next one has a lot of stick on weights. After a few buckets you can pick out lead ones pretty quick by shape, and zinc pretty good also.

pergoman
08-04-2018, 08:34 PM
I gave up on buying and sorting wheel weights. Far more time involved than just buying lead from my local scrap yard and mixing it with type metal from my inventory plus some tin to get ww alloy. Half of what I got from tire shops was not useful. Good, clean but soft lead is less than $.50 per pound.

Hossfly
08-04-2018, 09:37 PM
I keep the clip ones separate from the stick ons. Because the stick ons are supposed to be like pure lead. You can mix it later to adjust hardness of your alloy. Mark the ingots as such, i stamp (L) on stick ons and WW on regular wheel weights.

sureYnot
08-04-2018, 09:43 PM
I gave up on buying and sorting wheel weights. Far more time involved than just buying lead from my local scrap yard and mixing it with type metal from my inventory plus some tin to get ww alloy. Half of what I got from tire shops was not useful. Good, clean but soft lead is less than $.50 per pound.True. But, if you like playing with it, you can get lead at $0.15/lb. I know it's not really worth the time spent. I always get a kick out of making something from garbage, though. :)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Hotrod99
08-04-2018, 11:09 PM
True. But, if you like playing with it, you can get lead at $0.15/lb. I know it's not really worth the time spent. I always get a kick out of making something from garbage, though. :)

Yep... I think that is the draw for me as well. its cool taking a bucket of what looks like trash and turning it into nice clean ingot.

turtlezx
08-04-2018, 11:15 PM
some places will refund the weight of the steel and zinc after you sort them then your just paying for lead
return the non lead

lightman
08-05-2018, 06:40 AM
You are correct, I paid $60 for 2 very full buckets. I used your sort method today... wow... so much more easy! Right now it is looking like about 50% lead COWW's 10-15% stick-ons and the rest junk. I'll post the final number soon.

When i melt them down should I mix in the stick-ons or keep them apart?

Thanks!!

Glad that you found my method useful.

I keep the stick ons and the clip ons separate. In the past I melted them together because stick ons were not near as common as today.

Over the years I have found some interesting things in wheel weight buckets. Not long ago I found a nearly new 3/4 inch draw bar pin in one. I've also found punches, sockets and wrenches. And lots of trash!

Hotrod99
08-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Glad that you found my method useful.

I keep the stick ons and the clip ons separate. In the past I melted them together because stick ons were not near as common as today.

Over the years I have found some interesting things in wheel weight buckets. Not long ago I found a nearly new 3/4 inch draw bar pin in one. I've also found punches, sockets and wrenches. And lots of trash!

It's funny... I found a set of used break pads, a saw blade and a bunch of trash/dirt.

4719dave
08-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Took a chance and stopped by a tire shop today... asked if they had and lead. Next thing I know they are loading two over flowing 5gal buckets into my van.

3 guys... $20 spot each.

guessing it's well over 300lbs total... including clips and zinc. hoping for at least 200-250 lead. 8-)

DO I DARE ASK IN FL ...I shelled out 35.00 ended up full 5 gal bucket got 36 lbs of lead ..sad day.Lucky no razor blades those are nasty ...

Hotrod99
08-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Ok, here are the final numbers!

Paid $60 for 2 full 5gal buckets.

Total weight - 322lbs ....

After sorting and smelting all of it...

109 lbs COWW - 34%
65 lbs Stick on - 20%
28 lbs clips - 9%
120 lbs track, Zinc and Steel - 37%

Usable Lead - 174 lbs or 54% cost - .34 cent per usable lb.

How does this compare to what others are seeing around the country?

Whit these numbers would you buy more from the same place?

seems like alot of stick-ons...

sureYnot
08-05-2018, 07:01 PM
You did better than you think. Scrapper will buy those zinc and steel at the going rate. $0.15/lb around here.

WRideout
08-05-2018, 08:35 PM
I have found that just by telling everyone I know that I mold bullets, I get a fair amount given to me for free. Seems like a lot of people have a chunk of lead around that they don't know what to do with. When the landlord replaced the roof on our rented house, I noticed that the roofers were pulling off lead flashing from around the vent pipes. When I told him I could use it, he said he would bring me some more, and he did!

Wayne

Hossfly
08-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Wow you have been working, I’m finding a lot more stick on weights than ever before. I finished 2 buckets today, will start 2 more tomorrow hopefully with same results you are having. Lightmans method works well, spread out and pick out obvious led and zinc, goes faster than any other way I’ve tried.

lightman
08-05-2018, 09:52 PM
34 cents/lb plus your time and labor is not bad. I would continue to buy them at least until you are stocked up. And yes, I’m finding more stick ons. Also, start asking your friends, relatives and coworkers to start looking.

Hotrod99
08-05-2018, 11:36 PM
I plan to stop by the place in a few weeks and see what they have. I looked at it as a learning experience... plus 174lbs will cast a bunch of 230g 45's!!!

Thanks for all the help and input everyone!!!

Lightman, your method is the only way to sort... wish I would have thought of it a few days sooner. [smilie=b:

Wag
08-06-2018, 10:46 AM
For ingots ready to melt and pour, $0.34 sounds very good to me!

--Wag--

lightman
08-06-2018, 11:22 AM
You accomplished a lot in a pretty short period of time. Especially nursing back problems! Like sureYnot posted, save the steel and zinc if you have room, to resell. Like someone else posted, you might drop by and surprise those boys with a box of donuts or something. Donuts are kind of neutral and will let you get to know them better. Beer usually works well but a few people don’t drink and it might be against the shop rules.
On another note, come up with a method to mark your different alloys. They have a way of getting mixed up.

alicevirgin
08-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Ok, here are the final numbers!

Paid $60 for 2 full 5gal buckets.

Total weight - 322lbs ....

After sorting and smelting all of it...

109 lbs COWW - 34%
65 lbs Stick on - 20%
28 lbs clips - 9%
120 lbs track, Zinc and Steel - 37%

Usable Lead - 174 lbs or 54% cost - .34 cent per usable lb.

How does this compare to what others are seeing around the country?

Whit these numbers would you buy more from the same place?

seems like alot of stick-ons...

I picked up 18 5g buckets of wheel weights, for $100 a couple weeks ago. They are about 3/4 full and seem to be about 40-50% lead. In california of all places. I sorted about 3 buckets so far and filled up a 5g buckets with lead clip ons and I have quite a bit of lead stick ons.

I already feel I made my money's worth as lead is hard to find around here...

lightman
08-06-2018, 01:25 PM
I picked up 18 5g buckets of wheel weights, for $100 a couple weeks ago. They are about 3/4 full and seem to be about 40-50% lead. In california of all places. I sorted about 3 buckets so far and filled up a 5g buckets with lead clip ons and I have quite a bit of lead stick ons.

I already feel I made my money's worth as lead is hard to find around here...

That’s a great score! And price! You should start another thread and post some pictures. We like pictures! Also share your sorting and smelting methods.

alicevirgin
08-06-2018, 06:28 PM
That’s a great score! And price! You should start another thread and post some pictures. We like pictures! Also share your sorting and smelting methods.

Sounds good I will! It might take a few weeks to sort all of since I'm going slow haha. But so far I like what I've gotten.

Hotrod99
08-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Lightman,
I was planning to stop by sometime this week... donuts are a great idea! I am marking them with a big "W" on the COWW ingots and "P" on the stick-on ingots. Plus I'm storing them is different color buckets. White = Pure and Blue = WW

My wife is finally letting me back out into the barn/reloading room... I broke my back 6 weeks ago jumping off a bridge into the river... I know I know... I'm not 21 anymore... if I have a pound of lead for every time I heard that the last few weeks... But, it was a fluke... just hit the water wrong and compressed T12 and L1... 12 weeks in a brace.

using your method to sort was the only way I was able to get it done...

sw282
08-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Got 45pounds from my mechanic... l got app 25 pounds of lead weights. 50/50 SOW/COW. l just toss the other 20 pound. Don't have time or inclination trying to sell it. Besides l don't know any scrappers. l use a pair of pruning shears to test for lead. No ingots or me. They go strait in the pot. l do however sort the cows and sows... When casting my H&G 503 drops 258gr boolits from sows.. 253 from cows... l don't add tin because l have no source... l have no leading problems either because l size them to properly fit the bore along with a good lube. l cast pistol boolits ONLY. A few years back l bought quite a bit of range scrap from an indoor pistol range. When l cast using this range scrap my H&G 503 boolits come out @ 256-258gr.. Almost exactly the weight of the boolits cast from stick-on weights.. Lots of copper and steel jackets in the range scrap. l toss that too.