PDA

View Full Version : When should you not mention GOD ?

Boaz
07-30-2018, 11:36 AM
When and where should you never mention GOD ? When you meet someone ? When your at the Walmart ? At public events ? While your in the waiting room with other people . When you are talking to someone you know goes to a different church ? When you suspect someone may not be a believer or someone you know to be an atheist ? The personal or situational circumstance should you not use ...GOD ?

Could you give any verse or scripture that's tells us when or if to not mention GOD ?

frkelly74
07-30-2018, 11:41 AM
2nd commandment (Lutheran version)

Scorpion8
07-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Could you give any verse or scripture that's tells us when or if to not mention GOD ?

Whenever it's not polite: work settings unless you're in a group off-the-clock that are all of the same mind; social gatherings for personal reasons; they are too many to mention.

Traffer
07-30-2018, 11:56 AM
When and where should you never mention GOD ? When you meet someone ? When your at the Walmart ? At public events ? While your in the waiting room with other people . When you are talking to someone you know goes to a different church ? When you suspect someone may not be a believer or someone you know to be an atheist ? The personal or situational circumstance should you not use ...GOD ?

You can mention God whenever the heck you want. You may make yourself look like a fool but even Paul wrote "I am a fool for Christ". Most people don't want to "create an uncomfortable situation" so they don't mention it. I lived for years blurting out that I was a disciple when I first met someone. At work they called me "the preacher" ...It was a good thing. The guys (construction work in the big city) would come to me in private and ask me about God and get counselling. They ridiculed me in public. I thought they were cute. And felt compassion on them.

Boaz
07-30-2018, 01:13 PM
2nd commandment (Lutheran version)

I believe your referring to ...Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain . And you are correct ! But that is a given to all denominations . Thank you for a clarification I could have mentioned .

Wayne Smith
07-30-2018, 01:17 PM
I believe your referring to ...Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain . And you are correct ! But that is a given to all denominations . Thank you for a clarification I could have mentioned .
We need to think about this. What is the meaning of "vain"??

It is to speak or act without purpose or meaning ... which is exactly what a rhetorical prayer that is said without thinking is!

Boaz
07-30-2018, 01:50 PM
We need to think about this. What is the meaning of "vain"??

It is to speak or act without purpose or meaning ... which is exactly what a rhetorical prayer that is said without thinking is!

Wayne how the Lord's name could be used in vain are too many to list I believe but that's not the question .

Traffer
07-30-2018, 02:12 PM
I can imagine a bunch of pharisees and scribes hanging around discussing the meaning of vain. Now don't hate me bro.:bigsmyl2:

JimB..
07-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Wayne how the Lord's name could be used in vain are too many to list I believe but that's not the question .

You may disagree, but I think that the answers dovetail, you should not invoke the name of God in an effort to elevate yourself.

Back to your direct question, I struggle with just blurting things out and letting the Holy Spirit move the ball down the field. I try to determine when someone will be most open to hearing a particular message. As I type this I’m sure I’m doing it wrong, well that’s what I learned today.

sureYnot
07-30-2018, 02:23 PM
One witnesses for God in order to glorify him. When should you not mention him? Whenever it's counter-productive.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boaz
07-30-2018, 02:35 PM
You may disagree, but I think that the answers dovetail, you should not invoke the name of God in an effort to elevate yourself.

Back to your direct question, I struggle with just blurting things out and letting the Holy Spirit move the ball down the field. I try to determine when someone will be most open to hearing a particular message. As I type this I’m sure I’m doing it wrong, well that’s what I learned today.

JimB ...Weather I would agree or disagree is irrelevant but You are correct and I enjoyed you adding the Spirit of GOD which we should all be seeking .

I do find it curious that there has been no call of glorifying of GOD through the mention of his name ?

MT Gianni
07-30-2018, 02:59 PM
As a gas serviceman, I once did a call where in the basement was a Large copper kettle, a pentagram, and a painted goat head. I did my work, did not vocally utter the Lords name nor my beliefs as were the conditions of my employment though He was in my thoughts constantly.

Char-Gar
07-30-2018, 03:04 PM
I (me) would not mention God, if I knew it would trigger an argument or unpleasant scene. That said, I avoid those circumstances and people, so I could mention God just about anywhere.

dverna
07-30-2018, 04:37 PM
I fear ridicule, so refrain from mentioning God to people I do not know well. And I know that is wrong and not what a Christian should do.

JimB..
07-30-2018, 04:52 PM
I do find it curious that there has been no call of glorifying of GOD through the mention of his name ?

The way you phrased your first post precludes discussion of how to glorify God through the use of his name. Funny that you use the word “mention” as it almost implies casual use, and I think that any use of His name should be very intentional.

As an aside, I find your questions interesting and often wonder if you are preaching to us, developing a sermon for next week, or both.

Boaz
07-30-2018, 05:03 PM
The way you phrased your first post precludes discussion of how to glorify God through the use of his name. Funny that you use the word “mention” as it almost implies casual use, and I think that any use of His name should be very intentional.

As an aside, I find your questions interesting and often wonder if you are preaching to us, developing a sermon for next week, or both.

I did mean casual as in daily conversation , confirmation to others , goodbye's , encouragement …………… . Should we put GOD in our daily lives when dealing with others ?

Ickisrulz
07-30-2018, 05:09 PM
You should not mention your faith to provoke an argument. You should not mention your faith to condemn.

I spent 20+ years in the USAF and was able to share what I believed many times with the people I worked with. I never had anyone tell me to shut up or complain about me for talking about the things of God.

rl69
07-30-2018, 05:48 PM
We are to spread the good news of our lord Jesus Christ every where we go. If we are not excepted we are to move on.

Boaz
07-30-2018, 07:10 PM

Jim I meant to address The last sentence in your comment earlier but was at work and in a hurry . Some here think I am a preacher but I am in no way a preacher . You could ask preacher jim , buckwheatpaul or anyone here that knows me in person .I am only a layman . I don't so much teach as asking questions . I encourage self examination and exploring the depth of understanding we might achieve in our personal relationship with our Lord . I thank you that you think my questions interesting .

pworley1
07-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Matthew 10:32-33 (New King James Version)
32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Triggerfinger
07-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Never be afraid to mention God anywhere. If my mentioning God offends anyone in the area I'm in, well.....too bad.

Traffer
07-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Never be afraid to mention God anywhere. If my mentioning God offends anyone in the area I'm in, well.....too bad.

^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^

Goatwhiskers
07-31-2018, 05:04 PM
When I feel compelled to testify I do so. Maybe it's just what someone needed, if offense is taken then that's between them and God.GW