PDA

View Full Version : Plastic sabbots with a cast boolit?

badgeredd
09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I was looking at all the stuff I have tried in a ML today and it struck me that I didn't like those plastic sabbots a guy can load a pistol bullet into because I haven't been impressed with the bullet performance. SO...I reasoned to myself that since I cast boolit in 44 and 45 caliber, why not try a cast boolit in one? The XPs were accurate enough but I found bullet fragments spread through the carcas of last years kills. Full penetration wasn't there. So guys what do you think? Have any of you tried it? Just a thought that I'm itchin' to try this ML season. If someone has tried it, I'd sure like to hear what the results were.
Thanks

Edd

Lucky Joe
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Good question, I've done it for years in my T/C Renegade rifle. I used .44 cal. boolits and felt the rifle performed as well or better than a .30-30. Others may have had good luck like I did and I'm sure there are others that experienced problems or not the performance they expected. I use the .30-30 example because that is what my butcher told me, he said he couldn't tell the difference between my kills and a .30-30.

The last few years I have been shooting an H&R Huntsman and using the Lee Real Boolit, happy with that too.

Blammer
09-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I use cast boolits and sabots in my 50 cal all the time.

Good stuff!

fatnhappy
09-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm using a 315 grain .44 NEI in in my .50 Knight disc rifle. Accuracy is just fine.
I haven't had a chance to kill anything with it yet. I'll report back after deer season.

badgeredd
09-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Well darn it all why didn't you all tell me?[smilie=1:

Thanks guys, I'll get out tomorrow and see what I can do with it. Already have boolits so I am ready. Funny I hadn't thought about until today....old CRS creeping up on me again!:-D

beagle
09-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Every couple of years, I make up a batch of Lyman 457122HPs out of pur lead for a buddy in VT. I size these .450" (no lube) and he sabots them in his .50. He sent a picture of a recovered bullet. Looked like a wad of chewing gum and killed the doe grave yard dead. Yeah, it will work./beagle

curator
09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Why not try to work up a full bore diameter cast bullet load and toss the plastic sabot? Light handgun bullets do not kill as effectively as big heavy slow moving lead slugs. If you have a .50 caliber in-line muzzle loader with 1 in 28" twist you could launch a 500-600 lead slug with a full 1/2 inch frontal area! Of course it would kick a bit more, but it would be capable of taking anything from rabbits to Tyranasaurus Rex. Taks a careful look at the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet moulds. The 340 grain bullet shoots very accurately in my T/C Omega with 100 grains of Pyrocrap RX at about 1400 fps. If I am careful, these will group into less than 2" at 100 yards. They do kick a mite though---

Johnch
09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
In my 50
I use the Lee 310 gr 44 cal bullet sized to .429
But unlubed and no check

I found in my rifle
That a .429 in the .....black high pressure sabots ( don't remember the brand ) they load a ton easyer than a bullet sized to .430 or .431

I use a bullet cast out of range lead , seems to be just a little softer than WW
Great accurcy and more than enough penatration , as I shot a doe in the north end of a south bound deer and broke her jaw as the bullet exited

Never had a problem tracking either , most drop inside 20 yds

John

Tom W.
09-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm from waaaay back, I guess. The only kind I've ever used in my T/C Hawken were for a round ball; Poly Patches, made by Butler Creek. I don't even know if they are made anymore.

rockrat
09-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Tom W., used Poly Patches quite a bit also, still have some left for my guns. I know Hornady made a similar product for the 50 cal. at least at one time. Don't know if they still do.
Almost took my 58cal "Huntsman--H&R) on my elk hunt, loaded using a poly patch.

crowbeaner
09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I use an RCBS 44-240-swc over 90-100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Black high speed sabot and percussion cap ignition. I've taken 2 deer with it, and BOOM. FLOP. VENISON! I found that CCI #11s work best in the accuracy dept; I tried some RPs but the shots were all over the place. The CCIs produce very tight groups at 50 and consistent 2" groups at 100 with careful loading. Make sure you fill the lube grooves; I don't know why, but they shoot much better that way.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Years ago when some of the Knight rifle and accessory kits were coming out in blister packs, I set my nephew's 50 for 85 grains ffg Goex, a fingerprint greasy sabot and a lead 44 swc. I couldn't believe his results: 3 of 5 touching at 100 yard targets,and later a 165 yard kill. But of course we worked the load up incrementally and forgot the pellet balogna. BvT