PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Reloading Manuals anymore ?

Walks
07-30-2018, 12:14 AM
Does anybody ever use RELOADING MANUALS anymore ?

You can get free Handouts from ALLIANT and HODGDON(Winchester&IMR) for the asking.
All full of PRESSURE-TESTED Loads.

My DAD always bought every new one that came out 'til the day he died.
I've done the same thing since I started my own RELOADING setup when I got out of the U.S. NAVY. Actually I started before that , buying used ones at gunshows when I was still in High School. Just to have my own copies. I've been able to collect most every manual printed since WW2.

Even though most every load I use has not changed in 20yrs. I've recently started trying reduced loads in Rifles due to old injuries. Getting old and having Arthritis is a *****.

I see many questions from newbies that could be simply answered by reading the latest LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK. Currently #4.

And to me the information available in the old handbooks is absolutely invaluable in truly understanding our pastime.

JimB..
07-30-2018, 05:26 AM
Yes, in fact consulted 5 different ones just yesterday working on a new load. Could have done it online, printed the data I wanted and worked from that, but easier to have the books open in front of me.

Without printed manuals I would likely have never read about the casting and reloading process, to my disadvantage. I’m glad that they are still being printed, although I do wish they had stayed with loose bindings so they would lay flat on the desk.

Rcmaveric
07-30-2018, 05:40 AM
I have a 4 manuals and a few more electronic versions. I also have a loaddata.com account. Due to the nature of loaddata.com i normal just wind up on there comparing loads to all the major manufactures. So unless i don't have an internet connection or am too lazy to get my laptop i really don't use the paper manuals much. I still buy them, but that's just to fund the companies. I would by the next edition cast bullet load manual in a heartbeat, even though i don't need it because i have the loaddata account.

Petrol & Powder
07-30-2018, 08:00 AM
There's something about paper that computers will never replace.

Yes, I occasionally use a computer to access data but I'll never abandon books.

high standard 40
07-30-2018, 08:21 AM
I agree with P & P. My thoughts exactly.

GhostHawk
07-30-2018, 08:38 AM
I have both the Lyman #3 and #4 cast boolit manuals, which are refered to often.
I have the advantages Shotgun manual which is also used regularly.

When in doubt I prefer to use google first, often checking Alliant's data, then other data. I will make some notes on a post it note. Then the last step is to compare that data to my manual.

Anything too far out either way gets crossed out.
Leaving me with a nice middle of the road option or 2.

But that is just the way I do it, YMMV, or you may have something else that works better for you.

I also keep a note file on several computers, one for each caliber. It will show data I have found online, mined from manual, personal notes about loads I have tried, liked. Where they hit on the target, group size, etc. As well as comments on lube, and brass.

Takes me about a minute to skim through one of those files and by the time I do I know exactly the load I want. And what I can expect out of it.

mattw
07-30-2018, 08:39 AM
I sure do, mine go a long way back! If and when I find a load I really like, I enter it into a caliber specific Google drive sheet and also enter the range listed and the source.

skeettx
07-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Yes, and I cross reference different manuals.

Also at my advanced age, I am trying to use up old
powders and the new e-data does not include them.

Mike

JSnover
07-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Yup. Websites and free handouts are too limited.

Preacher Jim
07-30-2018, 09:18 AM
I never trust a load off internet without book verification. guys post loads that dangerous, they got away with it maybe but you or I might not. use your manuals.

fivegunner
07-30-2018, 09:18 AM
I cross reference different manuals. I also buy new ones that come along they help me make the right decisions on reloading for my firearms .:Fire::Fire::Fire:

MostlyLeverGuns
07-30-2018, 09:26 AM
I have most of the manuals, also use online sources. For comparisons of "what is best" I think the manuals are better/simpler. Lots of good info, but also a lot of junk out there. I worked as a programmer, system designer so computers always remind me of work, very hard, tiresome, highly detailed, in your head, never done work. Computer in the house, manuals in the 30x40 air-conditioned, heated shop where I reload (benchrest to 250 by the door). I do need to extend wifi to shop, metal building 200 feet away, then I might rely on internet more. Cell service not so good, only satellite internet so we don't depend on either for critical support.

farmerjim
07-30-2018, 09:47 AM
I have copied and printed all the load data that I can find from manuals and other sources on the calibers that I load. These fill up 2, 2 inch ring binders. I keep load notes behind the data on every load that I try.

Dusty Bannister
07-30-2018, 10:27 AM
I have been able to purchase at gun shows and garage sales, the older manuals so I will have the data if ever needed. Besides they are good reading, and much better than the evening news. The manuals are supplemented by the manufacturers hand out data sheets. The internet sources are helpful but a note in the book is less likely to be lost if you have a hard drive fail. A reloading log is nearly as helpful as the notes in the reloading manuals if loading for different rifles of the same caliber.

Grmps
07-30-2018, 11:25 AM
there are a lot of free published data/manuals online that you can download -- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337910-CB-load-data-online-sources

I do research peoples favorite loads and create an excel sheet on them, then I double check them with commercial load data and if they favorite loads fall within safe parameters I use the most popular one as a starting point for my ladder test going up and down from there.

frkelly74
07-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Yes I do, It works fine with all the old standard powders. I do have to keep track of the cover of my old lyman book from the 60's because it fell off. If it isn't in one of my books I generally don't buy it unless it is a screaming giveaway deal.

Wag
07-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Always. Although I haven't replaced mine in a very long time and the older manuals just don't have the new powders listed. Time to update, I think.

--Wag--

JoeJames
07-30-2018, 12:14 PM
First manual was a Speer about 1982 or so; since then Lyman, NRA Hand loading Manual, Lee Hand loading, Lyman Pistol Hand loading Manual, and the Hornady Manual, and an ancient Speer Manual from about 1960 or so. When I am looking to produce a certain load, I still go through most of them, and check charge weights, and velocities, and compare them. All will differ a little, and some of the more modern will differ a lot. Finally, after I've loaded a few rounds, I will check and see what they are actually running in my firearm on my own chronometer.

Walks
07-30-2018, 06:12 PM
I still keep hard copy logs of all my loads, and the Manual they came out of.
I spent twelve years in the "Computer field". Don't trust them. A Computer CAN NOT make a mistake. Only the person inputing the Data can do that. But it can sure compound human error.
I always refer to the manuals.
My be some of you other long time reloaders have noticed what I have. Over the years, charge weights for max loads have been dropping.
The Powder Companies say it's a change in FORMULATION leading to less powder required to reach a certain pressure/velocity. Who knows ?
But I still go by the latest book when looking/checking new loads.

pworley1
07-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Yes, every time I open a jug of powder I double check the load data. I only have one powder out at a time. You only have to wrong once. I just like to use a manual.

BNE
07-30-2018, 07:49 PM
I use them regularly. You can add notes to books. Not the net. I don’t feel the need to buy every version that comes out either.

I also have started a log book with my load data. A separate page or in some cases pages for each caliber. That log book has a better memory of what I have and have not tried than I do!

Rcmaveric
07-30-2018, 09:40 PM
I am big on electronic files. Its much easier and more accessible. I have an ultra small space to reload in and it easier to have everything i need mounted to the wall that i can search with at the swipe of a finger. I can reference loads from 10+ different manuals just by hitting enter. There isn't any more bench or shelf space for logs and records. Plus everything is backed up three times. I have the local library and research notes, the cloud back up, and then the thumb drive. Cloud servers are nice because they all update. So if i tag a note on the Lyman Cast bullet 3rd or second edition from the tablet. That same note is visible on my phone.

Torpedox64
07-30-2018, 10:08 PM
I have manuals that go back almost 40 years, up to the current Speer and Hornady, and I reference between ALL of them, and Use Those, to cross reference, against what is posted online. Of course We all know that everything printed online, is "correct", and there is always going to be some fool who will try it, off Faith.
Such as......My pet Load for 44 magnum 230 Grain jhp, with 2.6gn W296 as a "light load".......[DON'T DO IT!!!]
YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR GUN, AND YOURSELF!!!!
Do Your Own Research, and Never trust that somewon's spelling, or typing is Correct.
You never assume that the printed manual is right either. I can afford very few firearms to destroy, because of lazyness.:cbpour:

Chad5005
07-30-2018, 10:21 PM
I use the hodgdon site a lot but also like my written manuals,i buy a lot of old manuals

KenH
07-30-2018, 10:31 PM
I've got paper manuals, both new and old.... BUT - I've learned to LOVE QL as a way to check loads. Of course, you MUST use some common sense with QL and understand not all powders are good for all calibers.

Kevinakaq
07-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Every time I reload. It is always a good policy to have a printed copy published from a reliable source to make a sanity check against electronic copies and other internet data. I even cross check published copies against each other. They are the cheapest insurance I know against getting over eager and doing something you may regret...

Reverend Al
07-31-2018, 01:53 AM
I have a large selection of old and new printed manuals, but often compare their loads to loads that are published online (and on here) ...

Beagle333
07-31-2018, 03:09 AM
I have my favorite loads written on index cards posted on my loading bench. But I double check them every time against the book, because I double check everything about reloading.

dh2
07-31-2018, 06:00 AM
I do a lot of things the old way, any questions about what powder to use look up the load in the books and find a powder they all have in common, hard to do that on line some times.
cast bollits as we all know not a lot of published data out there
I do a few wild cats so keeping mold manuals are the way to find data.

dverna
07-31-2018, 07:31 AM
I use both. ANY load someone posts is ALWAYS checked against manufacturers data.

Some loads I never verify before a loading session. 2.8 gr of HP for the .38, 42 gr of Varget with the 165 GameKing in the hunting .308, 17 gr of Promo in the 12 ga etc etc. I do not have, or need, or want multiple loads in many of my guns. KISS.

trapper9260
07-31-2018, 07:54 AM
I use paper manuals more then the internet .I have every Lyman cast bullet manuals the first 2 are copy ,the rest are bought when they came out. Also just have one of the Lyman shotgun manuals missing ,I would have everyone. There is data in the old ones that dose not have in some of the new ones also some of the Lyman reloading for centerfire and some of the Hornady also. I have some of like stated from Powder companies also.I like to have it in hand then be on here.If I see some thing that I like to try that is on here I will write it down and then test it for myself.

JoeJames
07-31-2018, 12:36 PM
I still keep hard copy logs of all my loads, and the Manual they came out of.
I spent twelve years in the "Computer field". Don't trust them. A Computer CAN NOT make a mistake. Only the person inputing the Data can do that. But it can sure compound human error.
I always refer to the manuals.
My be some of you other long time reloaders have noticed what I have. Over the years, charge weights for max loads have been dropping.
The Powder Companies say it's a change in FORMULATION leading to less powder required to reach a certain pressure/velocity. Who knows ?
But I still go by the latest book when looking/checking new loads.Being a bit cynical, I wonder why charge weights have been steadily dropping and trigger weights on most firearms have been increasing. Could it be that the companies are litigation shy? But concerning powder weights: that is why these days a good chronograph is essential.

photomicftn
07-31-2018, 12:50 PM
I have my dad's loading manuals and other shooting books going back to the early 50's, and I've purchased many more originals online over the past couple of decades to fill in the gaps. I've been reading and rereading them since I was a small boy, and while I like instant online search capability, I won't ever give up those old books. It's history in your hands.

cwlongshot
07-31-2018, 01:28 PM
I just bought three new ones!!

CW

bob208
07-31-2018, 01:59 PM
yes all the time. in fact a lot of auctions I go to have powder. some of which is not listed any more so I have old manuals to use.

brass410
07-31-2018, 03:05 PM
the books and manuals I have on hand have never gotten scrambled by virus or held by ransom ware and while digital is convienent and quick nothing causes me more agrivation than "sorry file 404 not found " so books rule in my world

allsy
08-01-2018, 03:36 AM
Yes and I just ordered Western Powders new manual

gwpercle
08-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Heck YES !
Printed manuals can't crash , I must have 10 or 12 going back to Hornady #1 (1967) and Speer #7 (1966). I do buy new ones but keep the older ones for obsolete cartridges and powders . I discovered a unopened can of Alcan #5 powder and good old Speer #8 has all kinds of data for Alcan powders ! I do go online to powder mfgr's data sites but a printed manual is my main source of data.
Gary

Shawlerbrook
08-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Simple answer is ....Yes !

georgerkahn
08-01-2018, 08:11 AM
In addition to quite a few actual manuals, I mostly rely upon my "reloading bible" -- Ken Waters' Pet Loads. Ten years or so (???) ago I was researching/looking for a load to try in a new-to-me .44-40 on the Internet, and was just about ready to set my Harrell powder measure to their prescribed load when i elected to cross-check with printed. Interestingly, I found the IDENTICAL load in an early Lyman book -- with the Internet-prescribed load TWO FULL GRAINS ABOVE MAXIMUM LOAD!!! Albeit I subscribe to both AmmoGuide and LoadData services, I will NEVER ever start any new load without double-checking it in a printed format. My thinking includes the litigant consequences to any and all printed matter as well as the laboratory methods to obtain - and then publish -- their loads. I'm seventy years of age, and have yet to read of a "recall" re any "mis-print" re volunteer loads on Internet sites which may not be safe. On the other hand, in my early Bullseye shooting days, I was present at two matches where handguns -- one each revolver and semi-auto -- were blown up -- both by loaders who maintained their loads were indeed quite moderate and safe...

erdyalx
08-01-2018, 08:22 AM
I enjoy reading them. I have got 3 new ones this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JoeJames
08-01-2018, 10:17 AM
In addition to quite a few actual manuals, I mostly rely upon my "reloading bible" -- Ken Waters' Pet Loads. Ten years or so (???) ago I was researching/looking for a load to try in a new-to-me .44-40 on the Internet, and was just about ready to set my Harrell powder measure to their prescribed load when i elected to cross-check with printed. Interestingly, I found the IDENTICAL load in an early Lyman book -- with the Internet-prescribed load TWO FULL GRAINS ABOVE MAXIMUM LOAD!!! Albeit I subscribe to both AmmoGuide and LoadData services, I will NEVER ever start any new load without double-checking it in a printed format. My thinking includes the litigant consequences to any and all printed matter as well as the laboratory methods to obtain - and then publish -- their loads. I'm seventy years of age, and have yet to read of a "recall" re any "mis-print" re volunteer loads on Internet sites which may not be safe. On the other hand, in my early Bullseye shooting days, I was present at two matches where handguns -- one each revolver and semi-auto -- were blown up -- both by loaders who maintained their loads were indeed quite moderate and safe...All good points. Thinking further; I cannot recall any loading manual that included a "Retraction of particular loads mentioned in previous manuals". But, I'm only sixty-seven and may have missed a manual or so over the years. I now double check my loads with my chronograph, and of course look for any signs of excess pressure with the fired cases.

twidpa
08-01-2018, 11:27 AM
I buy new manuals most time when available. The older versions are good to pass on to new reloaders as they have lots of info they need to read over and over.
T

Char-Gar
08-01-2018, 12:24 PM
I have many paper loading manuals and a couple of downloaded ones as well. That said, it has been years since I have gone to one for a load. This is because have used the same calibers, bullets and powders for decades. I just check my notebook for old standby loads.