PDA

View Full Version : Laptops and tablets

Hannibal
07-29-2018, 12:57 AM
Well, my old Sony Vaio running Windows 7 appears to have finally crashed this afternoon.

Apart from the convenience of a keyboard, is there any good reason not to opt for a tablet and forgo the laptop?

Thoughts?

fiberoptik
07-29-2018, 01:39 AM
Install Linux, wipe hard drive of windazed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannibal
07-29-2018, 01:44 AM
The heck does that mean in English?

I push button.

Computer beep.

I push button again.

Maybe I happy. Maybe I knot.

Savvy?

Jake McCracken
07-29-2018, 06:58 AM
It all depends on what you used your laptop for. If its just checking email and internet browsing, a tablet would do just fine. Anything more and you may want to stick with a laptop.

Keep in mind if you get a tablet, some web pages may give you the mobile version and look a bit different than what you are used to. If youre good with a smart phone then you probably know what I mean. Also, you can get some tablets with a detachable keyboard, so you dont necessarily need to forfeit that feature if you do go the tablet route.

As for the other poster, he is refering to an alternative operating system to windows. It's like the ford vs chevy thing only linux is not very friendly to the average computer user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
07-29-2018, 08:05 AM
I use an Asus T0100 convertible. Keyboard when I want it, tablet when I don't at the push of a button.

Screen separates from the keyboard and you have your tablet.

I also agree with Fiberoptik. Linux Mint is easy.

dead dog
07-29-2018, 08:22 AM
I had to use my old mouse with the wire. Never got the hang of the finger pad.

waksupi
07-29-2018, 10:21 AM
It all depends on what you used your laptop for. If its just checking email and internet browsing, a tablet would do just fine. Anything more and you may want to stick with a laptop.

Keep in mind if you get a tablet, some web pages may give you the mobile version and look a bit different than what you are used to. If youre good with a smart phone then you probably know what I mean. Also, you can get some tablets with a detachable keyboard, so you dont necessarily need to forfeit that feature if you do go the tablet route.

As for the other poster, he is refering to an alternative operating system to windows. It's like the ford vs chevy thing only linux is not very friendly to the average computer user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I disagree. I had Linux Mint installed on a computer last week, and I find it very easy to use.

StratsMan
07-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Got money?? Your choice... Personally, I browse comfortably with a $50 Kindle... If I want bigger/multiple monitors, I use my laptop... Morning check-ins on this site are always with the Kindle... Like now...

Hannibal
07-29-2018, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure I want to try and install a new OS myself. Pretty sure if things didn't go perfectly I'd be paying someone to clean up my mess. And the Vaio is 5 or 6 years old. I'm not sure it's worth spending money on, especially if everything on it now is going to be irretrievable.

Maybe I'll just get a tablet and if I find there are things I can't do with it, then I can always get a laptop later, I suppose.

Rcmaveric
07-29-2018, 01:18 PM
I spoiled myself 2 years ago and bought the Windows Surface Pro. I love this little guy. We go hunting and it reviews my trail cam photo's, we go to college, it stores all my load data and reloading notes, and it even goes to work with me. Its basicly a laptop with a detachable keyboard and converts into a tablet.

fiberoptik
07-29-2018, 05:31 PM
There are lots of Linux versions that are free, easy to use, and some even run off a cd or dvd without installing called a “live” version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob208
07-29-2018, 09:19 PM
I am using a iview right now. it is a 10 inch screen windows 10 computer. the power cord headphones and wireless mouse plug into the screen. so the key board can come off. normal price is $180. wife got it on sale for $89.

sigep1764
07-29-2018, 10:17 PM
Am I the only one that loves a MacBook Pro?

Hannibal
07-29-2018, 10:26 PM
I'm too cheap to buy Apple products.