PDA

View Full Version : Packing and Shipping Firearms

lightman
07-28-2018, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking of putting my match rifle up for sale and I'm looking for ways to package it. With the value involved I'm thinking about buying one of the lower to mid priced hard cases. I'll latch and tape up the case and use the box that it came in, also taped well. Any ideas or suggestions anyone?

sparky45
07-28-2018, 10:56 AM
1+ Great idea.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Include some protection over the muzzle. A hard plastic cup shaped container full of cotton and then taped over the muzzle works. I've actually received one plastic hard case and several heavy cardboard boxes containing rifles that had been handled so roughly that the muzzle had broken through the end. Same with bolt handles. If it's a bolt action it's best to completely remove the bolt and wrap it separately in bubble wrap.

osteodoc08
07-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Pelican case if you’re worried.

AZ Pete
07-28-2018, 11:52 AM
When you pack the case into its original box, it is a good idea to break the box down and put it back together, in side out. That way there is nothing on the outside of the box that says "gun case" or anything else that shouts "steal me, I have a firearm inside". I use to do this at a sporting goods store to keep from drawing attention to long guns that we shipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsizemore
07-28-2018, 01:18 PM
I cut the handle off and did the inside out thing with the box. Tape over each latch before it goes in the box. Still use that same box/case for the past 20 years. Walmart used to sell a Contico case with a wildlife scene cast into the sides. Foam and case still good to this day.

lightman
07-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Padding the muzzle is something I did not think of. Turning the box inside out is another idea.

country gent
07-28-2018, 03:13 PM
A couple locks on the latches inside the outer box then send one key ahead to the purchaser separate. I send them ahead and wait to shipfirearm until I get confirmation the key arrived. Also tie the gun in place or block it tightly with foam in the case. Make sure it cant shift around any. Packages get handled pretty rough sometimes. A decent case some added foam locked with key sent ahead should secure it nicely

andre3k
07-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Cheap Plano hard case thats zip tied shut on the outside. If you're shipping to a dealer don't forget to include your name an address at a minimum. I've received several guns in the past that just show up at my office with no information from the seller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk