PDA

View Full Version : bear?

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2008, 04:12 PM
slow cook a roast in the oven and treat it just like a beef roast. Crock pot works too but i prefer an oven cooked roast.

obssd1958
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
The one I got was an ancient old sow - she had nothing but nubs left for teeth!! Fish and Game said she would not have made it through another winter. We had one entire ham smoked (at a local smoke house) just like you would a pork ham, I cooked the backstraps as medallions under the broiler, and we made the rest into breakfast sausage -- yummy!!

Don

The rug...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/obssd1958/shooting/cast%20boolits%20related/100_0001.jpg

Boz330
09-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I had some smoked bear ham years ago while hunting in MT and it reminded me of hog with a little wild taste.

Bob

fourarmed
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
A friend gave me a bear haunch. I trimmed off the fat layer, made cuts in it with point of a knife blade, and pushed in slices of garlic and lemon. I rubbed it with Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. I browned it good over wood coals, then roasted it in a 450 oven until it reached an internal temp of 180. It was damned good.

10-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Pre-electric microwave (pressure cooker). Season with your favorite stuff, add onions, carrots, potatoes, et al, follow the maker's suggestions as to time. Yummmmm.

mikenbarb
10-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I soak my steaks and roasts in kosher salt water for a couple hours and then marinade them for the grill with regular Italian dressing or any one you like then slow grill em till their done. My roasts I do in a crockpot for about 8-10 hours like a stew with some fresh veggies in the gravy.

Suo Gan
11-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Fishhawk, have you ever read "The Old Fishhawk"? In it the old indian shoots a bear and renders its fat, you got to admit there is some irony here?
BTW if you can find it the book is a good read.

Gradand used to age the hams like pork hams. They would be hard and covered with mold, this was an aquired taste, but they would keep a long time.

Also try Cold-Smoking & Salt-Curing Meat, Fish, & Game by A. D. Livingston, this book is good too

SG

SciFiJim
12-13-2009, 03:03 AM
I found this old thread looking for bear recipes. What other parts of a bear can be used? Are ribs worth the effort? obssd1958 mentioned sausage. How about bear burgers?

Rickk
12-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Having lived in a remote part of Alaska for the past 35 years we have come to enjoy black bear meat. It is one of our "staples."
In my opinion ribs are fine if the bear is large enough that they have any meat on them. Slow cooked with BBQ sauce on them.
I like the neck roast real well. We just put it in a large dutch oven or stainless steel pot and slow cook on the wood or oil stove.
Much of the bear gets made into burger for meatloaf, spagetti etc. If you cook "burgers" make sure they are cooked well enough to deal with the triconosis (sp) like you would pork.
Often we get spring bears which are pretty lean, but if you get a fall bear render the fat. It makes wonderful shortening for frying and of course is also good to waterproof your boots. Oderless to us but I noticed that dogs like to sniff your boots after you apply the grease.
Also "corned" bear with the Morton's salt cure is tasty.

Bullshop
12-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Tina often cans it. That way there is no problems with it being undercooked. With all our little ones we are careful about that. It is then used in many different ways, soup or stew, SOS, or whatever.
I do like to brine the flanks for a few days then smoke them. We use that for been meat. A 6" square cooked all day on the wood cook stove in a way big pot-o-beans give the beans such good flavor and is cooked enough to be very tender.
We pretty much use bear in the same ways we use hog. If we use it in sausage we like to can the sausage, again to be sure its well cooked.
We have 8 kids that are always hungry and too impatient to wait. Having it canned speeds up the food prep process. Just so yall understand the food prep process in our terms, we do not have a microwave. All cooking and baking at our house is done in or on a wood cook stove. No fast food here. I believe I can honestly say that quality has been sacrificed for convenience. We have quality cooked foods its just slow.
Blessings
BIC/BS

SciFiJim
12-20-2009, 05:29 PM
If you can treat it like pork, how about bear bacon? I also hear once that bear paws were considered a delicacy. Any idea how to prepare them?

TCLouis
12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
One thing for sure, render the fat off the bear and you have the best leather dressing known to man.

OH, DO THE RENDERING OUTSIDE with a Coleman stove or some such