PDA

View Full Version : Summertime Garden Dinner

Tatume
07-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Hello Folks,

This time of year is particularly wonderful for meal preparation. As the head cook and bottle washer in my family, I get to be creative. For dinners I like to bring the garden harvest next to the stove and start filling a large fry pan. Whatever is in abundance goes in, green beans, squash, eggplant, okra, tomatoes, and peppers predominate. The ratio varies from day to day, as does the ingredients list. Once the vegetables start to soften, I bring in some form of meat. Steak cut into bite-sized pieces and browned in another pan is a favorite. Ground turkey can be dumped in straight from the package, or browned first, either way. Fish filets go on top and get covered with a tent of foil. Left-over meats of all types get chopped and dumped in. Seasonings are switched out for variety. It’s very easy to keep the meals interesting.

Whenever I have time I make these dinners early, turn off the stove and allow to cool, then dish everything into a gallon zip-lock bag for the freezer. Then I do it again for tonight's meal.

I love summer!

Take care, Tom

marlin39a
07-26-2018, 06:36 PM
I use a lot of pork loin with fresh garden vegetables. So easy to make healthy meals in summer.

Tatume
07-26-2018, 06:50 PM
I use a lot of pork loin with fresh garden vegetables. So easy to make healthy meals in summer.

On top of everything else, there's fishing! This year was cobia mania for me. Although I froze a lot, we've eaten it all already.

Soon the Spanish mackerel run will start. Eat fish every day when we have them.

I love summertime!

MaryB
07-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Salad season for me, green beans are just flowering, tomatoes are loaded with green ones... scallions are big enough to munch so I picked 2 for my salad. Romaine, butter lettuce, red leaf, oak leaf tonight... loaded with vitamins...

Fishman
07-30-2018, 09:39 AM
All of that sounds real good. I didn’t have a garden this year because of all of the deer problems I have been having. First time I ever threw in the towel. It was a good year to do it though because of the horrible heat. Making plans on how to address the problem next year and keep the deer out.

I did however successfully protect my two peach trees and got a harvest. For a couple of weeks it was like Tatume’s description: how are we eating our peaches today and what else goes with it? Managed to preserve a bunch of them though.

farmerjim
07-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Fishman, try double electric fences. They have kept the deer at bay where I have them and keep them clear of grass. I have a 8 1/2 foot woven wire fence around my 8 acre field, but the deer jump it with no problem. Double regular fences also work. Deer have trouble jumping both distance and height at the same time.
I call deer Rats with antlers .

anothernewb
07-30-2018, 10:22 AM
few things in life are better than fresh garden vegetables.

Fishman
08-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Fishman, try double electric fences. They have kept the deer at bay where I have them and keep them clear of grass. I have a 8 1/2 foot woven wire fence around my 8 acre field, but the deer jump it with no problem. Double regular fences also work. Deer have trouble jumping both distance and height at the same time.
I call deer Rats with antlers .

I’m ready to try anything. Thanks for the idea.

CAVEMTNMAN
08-04-2018, 03:22 PM
I do what Farmerjim does with the double electric fences and it works great.

oldlongbeard
08-04-2018, 04:40 PM
My bride makes a double-chocolate ZUCCHINI bread that made me forget i hate the stuff! I like summer too. Winters in Michigan are getting old fast....like me, i guess ;-).

Greg in West Mitten

Shiloh
08-12-2018, 11:00 AM
I use the grill A LOT!!

SHiloh

MaryB
08-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Last night was an omelet with lots of chives, 2 kinds of basil, thyme, Sweet corn cut off the cob and a hot thai pepper. Bacon and white cheddar too.

Cut bacon in bite size pieces, fry off and set aside. Pour off most of the fat into your bacon fat jar then saute the corn and hot pepper until tender then add the chopped herbs and cook for just a minute ro so more. Remove this filling form the pan, add a little more bacon fat then pour in your eggs and cook. When set to your liking(I detest runny eggs so dry on top for me) add the veggie mix on top, then the bacon, then the cheddar and I put it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Fold out on a plate and munch!

https://i.imgur.com/bDNdi5u.jpg

Shiloh
08-25-2018, 05:55 PM
I like it MaryB
Shiloh

redhawk0
08-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Tonight the kids, my grandson and sister-in-law came over...we had steamed lobsters and clams out on the patio. Crockpot cooked corn on the cob, and italian pasta salad....a good time was had by all.

redhawk