PDA

View Full Version : Thumblers tumbler acting odd?

mattw
07-25-2018, 02:24 PM
I have the mid-size vibratory tumbler and have had it for many years. Lately, it seems that brass wants to swim in it rather than tumbler in it. Motor seems strong, weight is well attached. What am I over looking?

ReloaderFred
07-25-2018, 04:00 PM
I'm assuming you have the UV-18 tumbler from your description. With that said, check to make sure the bowl hasn't worked loose, and also check to make sure your media is clean. There could also be a buildup of residue on the walls of the bowl, which could affect the tumbling motion. When this happens to one of mine, I use Windex to remove the buildup.

I guess the real question would be though, does it still polish the brass?

You can always call Thumler's and ask, too. They've always been very helpful and friendly when I've called them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

mattw
07-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Thanks, the inside of the bowl is slick and the bowl is tight. It seems to do it more with fine walnut. I did call them, could be that the bowl bottom is getting thin and not transferring the vibration up the bowl like it should. They are not getting nearly as polished in the normal run times I have used over the past 17 or so years that I have owned it. Honestly, I can't believe it is still running with the number of loads it has polished!

Going to look the bowl over well this evening and take her apart. Was just hoping that someone here had seen this before.

ReloaderFred
07-25-2018, 10:24 PM
I've got two of the UV-18's that run most of the time. The motor on the first one went out at about 30 years, and the second one only lasted about 27 years. In the case of the Ultra-Vibes, you get what you pay for, which in this case is a good thing.

I only use 20-40 ground corn cob in mine, since I like a high shine on my brass. The 40 pound bag at zoro.com is cheap ($26.93 /ea), and orders over $50 have free shipping.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-crn3-40/i/G2165387/

Hope this helps.

Fred