PDA

View Full Version : Need some help!

Freightman
09-20-2008, 12:14 PM
I was at the range where a man had a Shiloh Sharps rifle in 45/110 and it is a shorter one that has a scope on it unlike mine which has the 34" barrel and a tang sight. I was telling him that mine had a lead butt plate when I traded for it and I guess it was for weight to cut down on the recoil. Now mine is a 45/70 which is easier to load for anyhow but he said he couldn't shoot his very many times without getting a headache and would like to have a butt plate like mine. Here is where I need your help>
Can I make a mould of my butt plate with plaster of Paris? as he said "he knew some more people who would pay for something like that" not wanting to go into a big deal but how would you make a mould?
Here is what I am talking about.

pincherpartner
09-20-2008, 12:25 PM
We made molds in school out of Plaster of Paris. Not sure if it will stand up to the heat but it should be fairly cheap and easy to try. What we did though was to coat the object to be cast, in this case your buttplate weight, with Vaseline or petroleum jelly so that it would not stick to the plaster.

Freightman
09-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks a lot.

flintlocknfur
09-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Over on home gunsmith forum there are a couple of guys who regularly do sand casting with brass, lots of info and they do realy nice work. Dont see why wheel weights wouldn't work too.

crabo
09-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Drill the buttstock, behind the recoil pad, with a spade bit and insert bagged shot.

HeavyMetal
09-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Can't imagine that butt plate adds more than a pound to the rifle. However if your going to make more than one do sand casting. You can form a bunch of molds and then pour.

Then you can combine it with the shot treatment Crabo mentioned and really reduce the recoil!

madcaster
09-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I just wonder,could wood work-route out the buttplate like it was standing on it's edge,then saw it and file it to form?
At least it should do for several pours...:coffee:

Freightman
09-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I took off the lead butt plate and picked up the rifle and discovered why it was done that way, the point of balance with it on is at the rear of the fore piece and with it off it is to the very front because of the hex heavy barrel which is 34" long.