PDA

View Full Version : portable lightweight target stand

Friends call me Pac
07-24-2018, 04:23 PM
I've been running ideas through my mind about a portable lightweight target frame I can move around to various distances. This is what I came up with. Pretty simple parts and put together.

I found a folding leg table thanks to a curbside freebie deal. The table was wet and the particle board was no good but all I wanted was the legs. I loaded it up, took it home, removed the legs and threw everything else away. I simply inverted the legs so the feet stuck up into the air. I staked down with some spikes and added a pvc frame that slides over the legs.

I'd really like to make the frame out of conduit but for now this will have to do as a prototype until I can find someone near me that has a pipe bender. The whole thing folds flat for transport and storage. With all 4 points of contact anchored it seems pretty solid. It should stand in a wind, even more so if the frame was made of conduit.

Preacher Jim
07-24-2018, 04:41 PM
Great repurposing of those legs. Harbor freight has a hydrolic bender I used to do a similar frame. Yours is lighter good job.

Grmps
07-24-2018, 04:42 PM
With the PVC when (I didn't say IF:)) you miss, carry spare PVC pipe parts and have an easy fix

Jake McCracken
07-24-2018, 04:46 PM
If you're anywhere near western PA I can bend the conduit for ya. But I have to agree that PVC would be easier to fix when you hit the frame.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vagrantviking
07-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Good trick. Never would have thought of that.

Could leave half the table top attached and it would work for hard surfaces or places that you can't drive pins in the ground.

David2011
07-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Mine are similar but of welded steel tubing with solid rod spikes. Wood sticks stuck into the legs would let you staple targets onto them and wouldn’t shatter from a hit. I rip 1x whatever is handy pine into 3/4”square sticks.

Omega
07-25-2018, 11:46 PM
I use a simple H pattern for the base, with 2ea 2x4 in the center spaced so two furring strips can be used as uprights, they're just pushed into the slot. I used treated 4x4 so I could leave the bases where I shoot.
This one isn't mine, but it's identical.

Rick Hodges
07-26-2018, 10:29 AM
I use political campaign lawn signs, and the signs construction companies leave to advertise their work. The metal 3/16" diameter frame just presses into the ground and you can staple or tape targets to the sign. If it was a politician you don't like and he had a picture of himself on it so much the better. 8-)

metricmonkeywrench
07-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Our local private range had banned metal targets (gongs & spinners) and stands down range on our berm backstops due to a few members overmatching the metal targets and creating a safety issue. Using the Caldwell large metal wire stand as a template we made wood versions to use. Cooler heads prevailed and target stands were eventually allowed back on. The 2x4 are shop scrap and biggest expense was the dowel rods but when shot are easy to replace.

We also love election seasons one large election sign produces target backing to the normal and tall targets and there are plenty enough around to claim (sometimes before the election).

pworley1
07-26-2018, 12:18 PM
All great ideas, thanks for sharing.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-26-2018, 05:21 PM
I have this base that a buddy made for me. I use 1 x's to staple the cardboard too. It is heavy enough so the wind has no effect on it. It stays in the back of the truck, used it this morning.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

https://i.imgur.com/kXS8buN.jpg

JSnover
07-26-2018, 05:32 PM
I prefer wood because it's cheap and easy, takes a lot of hits before it actually fails. Downside is it's not such a good choice for iron targets.
OP, great idea for reusing old table parts :drinks:

bob208
07-27-2018, 06:40 PM
I use realastate yard sign frames.

tdoor4570
07-27-2018, 10:17 PM
I'm going to shamelessly steal your idea on the table legs thought you should know. tdoor4570

high standard 40
07-28-2018, 08:44 AM
I have this base that a buddy made for me. I use 1 x's to staple the cardboard too. It is heavy enough so the wind has no effect on it. It stays in the back of the truck, used it this morning.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

https://i.imgur.com/kXS8buN.jpg

I have one very similar that I made for myself. Only difference is that I used square tubing instead of angle iron for the base. The base assembly should last forever. Just change the wood uprights as needed.

shooterg
07-28-2018, 05:41 PM
These get used a lot by our Action shooters - and they will hold up decent in a breeze. Just stomp the spikes in leaving a few inches out to be easier to remove. Small trunk, no problem, use short pieces PVC to make "extensions". These are 18" wide because that's the width of IUPSC/IDPA targets but wider is easy.
Storing the spikes in a leg with a cap works great.